How is Once Saved Always Saved not a license to sin? (moved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because it doesn't say it. And you can't find any other translation that even comes close.

The KJV says, "repent ye therefore and be converted" (Acts 3:19). That's pretty straight forward and plain to me. In Psalm 51, when David confesses of his sin to God, he says this, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10). In other words, David needs a renewal or regeneration of his spirit again because of his sins of adultery and murder.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A spirit cannot die. Unless you think you can 'kill a ghost' that is.

No. Not true at all. God will erase the existence of the wicked.

"And you should not be afraid of those killing the body but not being able to kill the soul. Indeed rather you should fear the One being able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna" (Matthew 10:28 Berean Literal Bible). (Note: Gehenna is the Lake of Fire, i.e. the Second Death which is a parallel of the first death).

The FATHER is talking to his SON about a FELLOWSHIP issue and not a RELATIONSHIP issue. Your theology doesn't understand the difference IMO.

Where in the BIble does it teach fellowship and salvation are separate? It is foreign to Scripture. You only invent this because you want to defend OSAS. There is no other reason to believe such a thing. For nobody came to this conclusion just by reading the text all by itself (I guarantee you). We know the parable of the Prodigal Son is in reference to salvation because we know that a certain group of believers who were alive physically were dead spiritually because they lived in pleasure.

1 Timothy 5:6 says this about believing widows who have went back to live in pleasure.

"But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth." (1 Timothy 5:6).

So the SON was no longer the SON of his FATHER? The FATHER seemed to think he was, in the story. The SON was coming back to ask his FATHER for a job, not prove he was related. The FATHER wanted FELLOWSHIP with his SON, which he was RELATED to. I think you better prove he was dead spiritually from scripture for your POV understanding. Because I don't see it no matter how much religion says it.

First, the father did not go after the son. The son also said he was willing to not consider himself as a son and he was willing to work as a hired hand. In addition, why would the father say he was dead and alive again? In the real world, this would not be a metaphor for their relationship breaking but it would mean that the father actually thought the son was actually dead to him. When he came back, he was alive again and it was a cause for celebration. There is no mention of a bad relationship or break up here. The father said he was dead and now he is alive again. So it is an issue of life and death. Taken spiritually, this can only mean it is talking about spiritual life and spiritual death.

Second, "Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever." (John 8:34-35). In other words, Christ will remove all who do sin and iniquity from his house or kingdom. Meaning, one who is a servant of sin will not abide in the house of Christ forever. How so?

"The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;" (Matthew 13:41).

In other words, this is saying that at some future date, Christ will send forth His angels to remove all false Christians (Who think they can sin and still be saved) from his kingdom.

Also, if a son dies, they are no longer a part of the family anymore. They cannot hang out together and eat together, etc. Physical death is a parallel to spiritual death.

Your half truth view just doesn't understand the scriptural difference between being "in the faith" versus "being OF the faith".

I'm afraid your 'half truth' just doesn't understand the difference between the saving of your spirit and your soul in your quoted verse.

JAM 5:19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; 20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Your spirit determines your relationship with God for "GOD IS SPIRIT", but your SOUL determines your FELLOWSHIP with Him.

SAVED in what? Spirit or soul?

No. The spirit and the soul are tied together. The soul is a person's mind will and emotions. The spirit is sort of like the body that appears in the spirit world and it can influence you into spiritual matters. The spirit is not flesh and blood but it is a representation of a person's being in the spirit realm.

I believe that in the new birth: a person's spirit is changed whereby it is a new saved spirit.

Titus 3:5
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost"

Ezekiel 36:26-27
"A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. "

1 John 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: Amen, when the shepherd found this lost sheep I believed. So did 'you' find the shepherd? Or did he find you?

Again, just because a person throws you a life preserver while you are in the water, does not mean you are saving yourself because you grabbed the life preserver they provided. The folks who discovered you adrift at sea and threw you the life preserver are your saviors. Your cooperation in grabbing onto the preserver in no way means you can take credit for them rescuing you.

Anyways, I am going to have to reply later to what you had written.

Please be well.
And may God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
I know I am really late to this party...so just trying to catch up but there were a couple of verses that were used and questions asked and I am not certain anyone answered them. So let me interject just a couple of things here...and this is not a matter of taking sides...so please do not get me confused with that...too many one liners running around to keep up :)

Matthew 22:14 was in question and it was asked "who was being called". The answer to that is seen in the context around that verse...have to always look at context.
The answer can be found in verse 10 "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good"
So anyone and everyone was called into the feast. Just as John 3:16 indicates that Christ died for the whole world, not just those that were saved.

THe parable is a picture of the entire Gospel. We see that the Jews had the invitation first. God had prepared his wedding feast for His Son. The Jews did not heed the invitation. Prophets like John the Baptist were even reviled and even killed delivering the message to the Jews. The destruction spoken of could tell of the destruction of Jerusalem that took place in 70 A.D. But we know that the Gospel was opened up to the gentiles. And as mentioned above it was to be delivered to the good and the evil.

But then we see that at judgement when it is the time for the wedding. For a Jewish wedding the garments were often provided by the father, as we see here with the one person who refused to wear the garments provided. You will see the white robes provided in the wedding mentioned in Revelations as well. We see this last section as an understanding that all are called by God for salvation...it is open for everyone...but few will heed the invitation.

Romans 8:29 was alsom mentioned. It is important to understand again the context being mentioned around verse 29. And that God is not talking about foreknowledge of you, or me, of the individual. But as Christians. God knew He would have to sacrifice His Son for salvation. And set in motion that those that followed Christ would be conformed to the image of Christ. It is we, the Christians, that God has justified, glorified, and called.

Hillsage you had mentioned in reference to Matthew 22:14 that "called" meant Christian in the Greek. I can see where you would get that, but that is not entirely correct. The word is kletos, which has a root meaning of called or invited. Even extended it is to be invited by God to obtain eternal salvation. Just because someone is invited does not automatically make them a Christian, so those that are called in the context of the New Testament and as we have seen in previous comments about this..those that were called were both good and evil. And in context of the Gospel it is the whole world that is invited to receive eternal salvation. But we also know that few will listen.

Reactions: Job8
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Meaning, one is not regenerated (made righteous) before they repent.
That should be obvious to everyone. However, when one has an axe to grind, then the sequence of salvation is reversed, while the power of the Gospel and the convicting power of the Holy Spirit is ignored.

GOSPEL + CONVICTION BY THE HOLY SPIRIT----->REPENTANCE + FAITH------>THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT-----> REGENERATION----->ALL ASPECTS OF SALVATION INCLUDING THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE.

How do we know this? Acts 2:37-41:

GOSPEL
Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

CONVICTION BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

REPENTANCE + FAITH----->REMISSION OF SINS [NO LICENSE TO SIN]
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

THE PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

SALVATION
And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

REGENERATION AND WATER BAPTISM
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That should be obvious to everyone. However, when one has an axe to grind, then the sequence of salvation is reversed, while the power of the Gospel and the convicting power of the Holy Spirit is ignored.

GOSPEL + CONVICTION BY THE HOLY SPIRIT----->REPENTANCE + FAITH------>THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT-----> REGENERATION----->ALL ASPECTS OF SALVATION INCLUDING THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE.

How do we know this? Acts 2:37-41:

GOSPEL
Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

CONVICTION BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

REPENTANCE + FAITH----->REMISSION OF SINS [NO LICENSE TO SIN]
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,

THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

THE PROMISE OF ETERNAL LIFE
For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

SALVATION
And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

REGENERATION AND WATER BAPTISM
Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

I agree on what you said here with Scripture. Good points. Thank you. And may God bless you.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
The KJV says, "repent ye therefore and be converted" (Acts 3:19). That's pretty straight forward and plain to me. In Psalm 51, when David confesses of his sin to God, he says this, "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10). In other words, David needs a renewal or regeneration of his spirit again because of his sins of adultery and murder.

I understand all of that. But you are asserting that converted means be regenerated. And this is purely your opinion. Any dictionary you find will not support that. And since you've abandoned the earlier discussion, I'm assuming that this is just an attempt do divert.

But just in case, who gets called in Romans 8:30?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Free Will in the Bible:

#1. Joshua 24:15 KJV -
"Choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve"

#2. Matthew 11:28 KJV -
"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."

#3. John 7:17 KJV -
"If anyone wills to do His will, he shall know concerning the doctrine, whether it is from God."

#4. John 7:37 KJV -
"If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink."

#5. Acts 2:38 KJV -
"Repent, and let everyone of you be baptized"

#6. Acts 3:19 KJV -
"Repent therefore and be converted"

#7. Acts 16:31 KJV -
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved"

#8. Acts 17:30 KJV -
"but now commands all men everywhere to repent"

#9. Revelation 22:17 KJV -
"Whoever wills, let him take the water of life freely."

#10. Genesis 4:7 KJV -
"If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him."

That's all well and good.

“For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:29‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Nothing about free will.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand all of that. But you are asserting that converted means be regenerated. And this is purely your opinion. And since you've abandoned the earlier discussion, I'm assuming that this is just an attempt do divert.

No attempt at diversion, my friend.
Dictionary.com defines the word "convert" as: ~ "to change (something) in to a different form or properties; transmute; transform."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convert

Blue Letter Bible:

The English word "convert" is taken from the Greek word "ἐπιστρέφω" epistrephō.

: turn (16x), be converted (6x), return (6x),turn about (4x), turn again (3x), misc (4x).
Outline of Biblical Usage

• transitively
      1. to turn to
        1. to the worship of the true God
      2. to cause to return, to bring back
        1. to the love and obedience of God

2. to the love for the children

3. to love wisdom and righteousness
    • intransitively
      1. to turn to one's self

2. to turn one's self about, turn back

3. to return, turn back, come back
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1994&t=KJV

But just in case, who gets called in Romans 8:30?

As I said before, many are called but few are chosen (As Scripture states elsehwere). But to show you specifically in the verses --- play by play of who is being spoken of in Romans 8:28-30. Here you go, my friend.

A. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28).
A. Comment on Romans 8:28 (above):
(1) The "we" is spoken of the collective saved body that exists currently. This would include the Elect and even those who are temporarily saved (But later fall away).
(2) The "them" that love God are all those who have responded to the call according to His purpose (In spreading the good news of having a relationship with Jesus Christ and being forgiven one's sins). But while all may be called according to His purpose and may love Christ (God) for a time, that does not mean they will endure to the End or that they are Chosen (i.e. Elect). Also see the Parable of the Sower. There were many who did answer the call by receiving the seed of the Word in their heart with joy. But not all of them endured. Two of them fell away after having received the Word in their hearts.

B. "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)
B. Comment on Romans 8:29 (above):
(1) The "whom" he did foreknow and predestinate is a progression in the conversation here and it is now talking about the "Elect" or the "Chosen." For they will be the firstborn among many brethren (i.e. the Body of Christ).

C. "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." (Romans 8:30)
C. Comment on Romans 8:30 (above):
(1) The "whom" he did predestinate is the "Elect" still. Christ had called the Elect and He justified them and (in God's reference of time) they have already been glorified (taken home to be with Him) already. For God is not constrained by linear time and He knows the future with 100% pin point accuracy.

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
No attempt at diversion, my friend.
Dictionary.com defines the word "convert" as: ~ "to change (something) in to a different form or properties; transmute; transform."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convert

Blue Letter Bible:

The English word "convert" is taken from the Greek word "ἐπιστρέφω" epistrephō.

: turn (16x), be converted (6x), return (6x),turn about (4x), turn again (3x), misc (4x).
Outline of Biblical Usage

• transitively
      1. to turn to
        1. to the worship of the true God
      2. to cause to return, to bring back
        1. to the love and obedience of God

2. to the love for the children

3. to love wisdom and righteousness
    • intransitively
      1. to turn to one's self

2. to turn one's self about, turn back

3. to return, turn back, come back
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G1994&t=KJV

As I said before, many are called but few are chosen (As Scripture states elsehwere). But to show you specifically in the verses --- play by play of who is being spoken of in Romans 8:28-30. Here you go, my friend.

A. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28).
A. Comment on Romans 8:28 (above):
(1) The "we" is spoken of the collective saved body that exists currently. This would include the Elect and even those who are temporarily saved (But later fall away).
(2) The "them" that love God are all those who have responded to the call according to His purpose (In spreading the good news of having a relationship with Jesus Christ and being forgiven one's sins). But while all may be called according to His purpose and may love Christ (God) for a time, that does not mean they will endure to the End or that they are Chosen (i.e. Elect). Also see the Parable of the Sower. There were many who did answer the call by receiving the seed of the Word in their heart with joy. But not all of them endured. Two of them fell away after having received the Word in their hearts.

B. "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)
B. Comment on Romans 8:29 (above):
(1) The "whom" he did foreknow and predestinate is a progression in the conversation here and it is now talking about the "Elect" or the "Chosen." For they will be the firstborn among many brethren (i.e. the Body of Christ).

C. "Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified." (Romans 8:30)
C. Comment on Romans 8:30 (above):
(1) The "whom" he did predestinate is the "Elect" still. Christ had called the Elect and He justified them and (in God's reference of time) they have already been glorified (taken home to be with Him) already. For God is not constrained by linear time and He knows the future with 100% pin point accuracy.

I noticed none of the definitions you posted said anything about new birth.

And I noticed that you still haven't answered my question.

In Romans 8:30, who gets called?

It appears to me, and to anyone else reading, that you are going to great lengths to avoid answering this simple direct question. So be it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

It appears to me, and to anyone else reading, that you are going to great lengths to avoid answering this simple direct question. So be it.

Please re-read my post. I provided a commentary on who was "called" in Romans 8:30. But to isolate just Romans 8:30 to fit your interpretation on all who are "called" is not fair in light of what the rest of Scripture says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
Please re-read my post. I provided a commentary on who was "called" in Romans 8:30. But to isolate just Romans 8:30 to fit your interpretation on all who are "called" is not fair in light of what the rest of Scripture says.

Your commentary made up stuff not in the passage. So again, who gets called in the passage? It's still a simple question that you have yet to answer.

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
John Robie....to be fair Jason did answer your question.

Based on his belief he said that "The "whom" he did predestinate is the "Elect" still. Christ had called the Elect" So based on what he said...he believes that Romans 8:30 the whom is the elect.

Now this is in to correct obviously because he does not include all of Scripture there or even what is around that verse. This verse is speaking of Christians in general...the followers of Christ were predestined to be conformed to the likeness of Christ. These verses are not speaking on a personal level but in a broader sense. We see this because of verses 28 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose"

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your commentary made up stuff not in the passage. So again, who gets called in the passage? It's still a simple question that you have yet to answer.

I already answered. But I will reword my answer if that might help you. The "called" in Romans 8:30 is in reference to "Elect" out of all who are "called" from verse 28. For many are called but few are chosen.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John Robie....to be fair Jason did answer your question.

Based on his belief he said that "The "whom" he did predestinate is the "Elect" still. Christ had called the Elect" So based on what he said...he believes that Romans 8:30 the whom is the elect.

Now this is in to correct obviously because he does not include all of Scripture there or even what is around that verse. This verse is speaking of Christians in general...the followers of Christ were predestined to be conformed to the likeness of Christ. These verses are not speaking on a personal level but in a broader sense. We see this because of verses 28 "And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose"

See my recent post. It might explain it a bit better. In other words, think of the "called" as a basket of apples. Out of those basket of apples, the yellow apples are the "Elect." Whereas the other apples may be of a different color (not Elect but yet called).

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

How would you define the new birth?

Luke 14
21 So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.’
22 And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.’
23 Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

The poor, maimed, lame, and blind get called. Furthermore, the call goes to those in the highways and hedges, so the Lord's house may be filled.

Who does not fall into the category of the poor, maimed, lame, and blind? That would be those who have no need of a doctor.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus came to call sinners to repentance, which include all men, for all men are sinners.

No need for avoidance; Jesus gave us the answer.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
I already answered. But I will reword my answer if that might help you. The "called" in Romans 8:30 is in reference to "Elect" out of all who are "called" from verse 28. For many are called but few are chosen.

Okay. What happens to the called in Romans 8:30?

Upvote 0

John Robie

Just checking in.
Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟32,545.00
Faith
Christian
How would you define the new birth?

Luke 14
21 So that servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house, being angry, said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind.’
22 And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.’
23 Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

The poor, maimed, lame, and blind get called. Furthermore, the call goes to those in the highways and hedges, so the Lord's house may be filled.

Who does not fall into the category of the poor, maimed, lame, and blind? That would be those who have no need of a doctor.

Mark 2:17
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Jesus came to call sinners to repentance, which include all men, for all men are sinners.

No need for avoidance; Jesus gave us the answer.
So if He called all sinners to repentance, then you will have to conclude He also justified all sinners, since Romans 8:30 says that those whom He called He also justified.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I know I am really late to this party...so just trying to catch up but there were a couple of verses that were used and questions asked and I am not certain anyone answered them. So let me interject just a couple of things here...and this is not a matter of taking sides...so please do not get me confused with that...too many one liners running around to keep up :)
Welcome to the party where 'love bites' seem to draw blood. Not surprising though, children just bite hard. :)

Matthew 22:14 was in question and it was asked "who was being called". The answer to that is seen in the context around that verse...have to always look at context.
The answer can be found in verse 10 "Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good"
So anyone and everyone was called into the feast. Just as John 3:16 indicates that Christ died for the whole world, not just those that were saved.
I agree with the context both in the verse as well as every other verse the word is used in, and I am of the persuasion that my Strong's definition use agrees with the context of every other time that the word 'kletos' is used in the NT.

You will see the white robes provided in the wedding mentioned in Revelations as well. We see this last section as an understandiing that all are called by God for salvation...it is open for everyone...but few will heed the invitation.
I agree, but you will also find those who were standing before the throne of Jesus in their white robes, and then there is another group who get to sit on the throne with Jesus. I think the 'chosen' ones are on the throne, because 'they made of themselves to be chosen vessels'. The Revelation is a great book, but highly symbolic.

Romans 8:29 was alsom mentioned. It is important to understand again the context being mentioned around verse 29. And that God is not talking about foreknowledge of you, or me, of the individual. But as Christians. God knew He would have to sacrifice His Son for salvation. And set in motion that those that followed Christ would be conformed to the image of Christ. It is we, the Christians, that God has justified, glorified, and called.

But that is a different Greek word than Matt 22. It is 2564 kaleo and not Kletos. Kaleo is used in Matt22:8, and I believe it is 'that' call/calling definition which agrees with your position.

Hillsage you had mentioned in reference to Matthew 22:14 that "called" meant Christian in the Greek. I can see where you would get that, but that is not entirely correct. The word is kletos, which has a root meaning of called or invited. Even extended it is to be invited by God to obtain eternal salvation. Just because someone is invited does not automatically make them a Christian, so those that are called in the context of the New Testament and as we have seen in previous comments about this..those that were called were both good and evil. And in context of the Gospel it is the whole world that is invited to receive eternal salvation. But we also know that few will listen.[/QUOTE] Gotta quit because we're in Branson and leaving for the 'land of Oz' so I'll be on the road for 8+ hours. :wave:

Upvote 0

EmSw

White Horse Rider
Apr 26, 2014
✟66,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if He called all sinners to repentance, then you will have to conclude He also justified all sinners, since Romans 8:30 says that those whom He called He also justified.

Just those who respond to the call to repent.

Luke 24:47
And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

What is remission? According to Strong's, it is -

to declare, pronounce, one to be just, righteous, or such as he ought to be

Justification comes from repentance.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
MOD HAT ON

Thread has been permanently closed. The Staff at Christian Forums would like to encourage and remind you that our site rules call you to address one another with respect. I am posting the rule for everyone's review:

Flaming and Harassment
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue. Refrain from insulting, inflammatory, or goading remarks. When you disagree, remember to address the content of the post and not the poster personally.
If you are flamed, do not respond in-kind. Alert staff to the situation by utilizing the report button.
Stating or implying that another member or group of members who have identified themselves as Christian are not Christian is not allowed.
Be considerate and do not make another member's experience on this site miserable. This includes making false accusations or persistently attacking them in the open forums.
Respect another member's request to cease personal contact.

Again, please be kind to one another, as Christ has called us to do.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.