"Christian"

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
How did that term come about?

The word “christianos” (Latin, Christianus) was a term of scorn, traced back through a related word which history never “revised”.

“For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Yahudim throughout the world and a ringleader of the sect (G139, hairesis) of the Nazarenes (G3480).” The Greek word hairesis above gives us our word “heresy” translated “sect.” So we know the “sect” being spoken of was not the Christians, because Christians developed later. The word christianos was used twice in the Greek text as a device of scorn, since in the ancient world it conveyed a much different sense than it does today. The use of the word christianos did not “name” the sect, but it was a derisive, scornful label that meant they were like gullible, dumb beasts, or “cretins”.

cre·tin (krēt’n) n.
1. A person afflicted with cretinism.
Slang: An idiot.
[French crétin, from French dialectal, deformed and mentally person found in certain Alpine valleys, from Vulgar Latin *christiānus, Christian, human being, poor fellow, from Latin Chrīstiānus, Christian; see Christian.] Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.

The word “watchmen” is the Hebrew word NATSARIM, and means guardians, protectors, preservers, and also means “branches”, as in “descendants”. Immediately, we see the connection with Yahusha’s words about Him being the Root, and His students the “branches,” the off-spring of His teachings. The name by which most Believers are called has no Greek roots; the Hebrew roots of our name are profound.

Last edited:

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Where do you think this thread sprung from... ??
You referenced a quote from it. Did you ever read the whole book ? That was my question to you, since in Acts 11 it indicates the term first was used in Antioch in regards to the disciples there at least. As to whether or not the term itself originated amongst the disciples themselves in Antioch, or others who were not disciples ... it doesn't seem to indicate it one way or another imo.

Reactions: yonah_mishael
Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its says it right here in Acts ...and I take no offense to the term:

"When he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. It happened, that for a whole year they were gathered together with the church, and taught many people. The disciples were first called Christians d in Antioch." ~(Acts 11:26)

...now understanding the history of how the Romanist adopted the term is a little more tedious.

Beforehand Roman Emperor, after Roman Emperor were slaughtering those calling themselves "Christian" within the Roman territories for refusing to take part in, or support unjust wars, worship nationalist symbols, and honor the state sanctioned "gods" of Rome ...and they made a bloodbath of of these Christians hated by both Emperors and Roman patriots alike all the way up to Constantine's father who persecuted these Christians greatly as it explains in The Martyrs Mirror, and Foxes Book of Martyrs among other lesser known works.

Anyways Constantine decided to do things a little differently instead by making compromise with Christians ...now the term Christian by this time was not affiliated with the hodgepodge it's affiliated with today.

Anyways it all started with Constantine attempting to create a state sanctioned Roman Church where he himself presided over all its counsel's ...showing to all that this "Roman Church" was legitimate by His presence.

Now to keep things short this New founded Roman Church through many compromises within many "Ecumenical" councils co-opted the term "Christian" which required what many perceived as disobedient to Scripture ...so those people who disagreed with this new Roman Church started to make it obvious by distinguishing themselves as "Orthodox" meaning to adhere to the traditions of the past perceived as righteous.

Unfortunately those that initiated this distinction failed in promoting it because The New Roman Church were more successful in co-opting the term upon themselves.

This is just a shortly put reason based my personal perception from my research, so take it as it is ...an opinion.

The term Christian was perfectly a fine distinction for a true believer up until Rome began to capitalize on forcing everyones perception of scripture to conform with their own.

Note: Constantine exiled many, those who refused to conform to his new founded state Church.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Its says it right here in Acts ...and I take no offense to the term:

"When he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. It happened, that for a whole year they were gathered together with the church, and taught many people. The disciples were first called Christians d in Antioch." ~(Acts 11:26)

...now understanding the history of how the Romanist adopted the term is a little more tedious.

Beforehand Roman Emperor, after Roman Emperor were slaughtering those calling themselves "Christian" within the Roman territories for refusing to take part in, or support unjust wars, worship nationalist symbols, and honor the state sanctioned "gods" of Rome ...and they made a bloodbath of of these Christians hated by both Emperors and Roman patriots alike all the way up to Constantine's father who persecuted these Christians greatly as it explains in The Martyrs Mirror, and Foxes Book of Martyrs among other lesser known works.

Anyways Constantine decided to do things a little differently instead by making compromise with Christians ...now the term Christian by this time was not affiliated with the hodgepodge it's affiliated with today.

Anyways it all started with Constantine attempting to create a state sanctioned Roman Church where he himself presided over all its counsel's ...showing to all that this "Roman Church" was legitimate by His presence.

Now to keep things short this New founded Roman Church through many compromises within many "Ecumenical" councils co-opted the term "Christian" which required what many perceived as disobedient to Scripture ...so those people who disagreed with this new Roman Church started to make it obvious by distinguishing themselves as "Orthodox" meaning to adhere to the traditions of the past perceived as righteous.

Unfortunately those that initiated this distinction failed in promoting it because The New Roman Church were more successful in co-opting the term upon themselves.

This is just a shortly put reason based my personal perception from my research, so take it as it is ...an opinion.

The term Christian was perfectly a fine distinction for a true believer up until Rome began to capitalize on forcing everyones perception of scripture to conform with their own.

Note: Constantine exiled many, those who refused to conform to his new founded state Church.
Let's keep this within 100 AD. What you say is good but "Christian" has become an established term by then. "Nazarene" was for those in Jerusalem area. What this thread is about the name calling when it first happened. Not when the people proudly claimed the name as theirs.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
This info is all from Wuest's Word Studies from the Greek New Testament for the English Reader. Whether it's valid or not, that is the reference:

The worshippers of Caesar were called Kaisaranios … to distinguish the worshippers of the Christ from those who worshipped Caesar, the nickname "Christianos" was coined there in Antioch. It's unclear whether or not the term was coined by the disciples themselves, or from the citizens in Antioch. It was apparently used as a term or derision however, regardless of who originally coined it or came up with it. Apparently Antioch had a reputation for coining such nicknames.

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

JeffTheLearner

a puff of smoke
Apr 9, 2006
Richland, MO
✟8,558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...well my opinion is based on my Primitive Christianity studies covering from 100AD to 400AD.

No the "Nazarines" were the distingished among Jewish converts (also the Apostles) later affiliated with those within "Palestinian Church" after Rome exiled Judah. Gentile converts called themselves "Christian" ...it seemed to be the term that they choose more in the Western world.

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Who has ceased to eat Manna?
Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
What is the meaning of the term Christian and what does a person who is a Christian embody?

Christ = the anointed
Christian = one like the anointed

John 1:38-41 King James Version (KJV)

38 Then Jesus turned, and saw them following, and saith unto them, What seek ye? They said unto him, Rabbi, (which is to say, being interpreted, Master,) where dwellest thou?

39 He saith unto them, Come and see. They came and saw where he dwelt, and abode with him that day: for it was about the tenth hour.

40 One of the two which heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother.

41 He first findeth his own brother Simon, and saith unto him, We have found the Messias, which is, being interpreted, the Christ.

Acts 11:25-26 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

25 And Barnabas went forth to Tarsus, to seek for Saul,

26 and having found him, he brought him to Antioch, and it came to pass that they a whole year did assemble together in the assembly, and taught a great multitude, the disciples also were divinely called first in Antioch Christians.

Acts 26:27-29 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

27 thou dost believe, king Agrippa, the prophets? I have known that thou dost believe!'

28 And Agrippa said unto Paul, `In a little thou dost persuade me to become a Christian!'

29 and Paul said, `I would have wished to God, both in a little, and in much, not only thee, but also all those hearing me to-day, to become such as I also am -- except these bonds.'1 Peter 4:14-16 King James Version (KJV)

1 Peter 4:14-16 King James Version (KJV)

14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.

16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
1 Samuel 10:1 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)

10 And Samuel taketh the vial of the oil, and poureth on his head, and kisseth him, and saith, `Is it not because Jehovah hath appointed thee over His inheritance for leader?

Daniel 9:25-26 King James Version (KJV)

25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.

Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
Matthew 26:6-13 King James Version (KJV)

6 Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,

7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.

8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?

9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.

10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.

11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.

12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.

13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

Acts 11:25-26 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

25 Then Bar-Nabba went off to Tarsus to look for Sha’ul; 26 and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. They met with the congregation there for a whole year and taught a sizeable crowd. Also it was in Antioch that the talmidim for the first time were called “Messianic.”

Gevurot 11:25-26 Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)

25 And Bar-Nabba left for Tarsus to look for Sha’ul,

26 And, having found him, he brought him to Antioch. And it came about that for an entire year, they met with Moshiach’s Kehillah there, and taught a large multitude. And it was in Antioch that the talmidim were first called Ma’aminim HaMeshichiyim (Messianic Believers).

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Is it just me or does that look like a redaction?

Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul: And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And we had pudding for desert on Tuesday.

And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
What is the meaning of the term Christian and what does a person who is a Christian embody?

Christ = the anointed
Christian = one like the anointed

I agree, but you must understand:

That may be the dictionary definition, but the DE FACTO definition is more important.

If you tell someone you're Christian they will assume you don't keep the Jewish (ie. God's) law.

That is the ineluctable reality of the matter.

Reactions: ContraMundum
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
A

AbbaLove

How did that term come about?

The word “christianos” (Latin, Christianus) was a term of scorn, traced back through a related word which history never “revised”.

“For we have found this man a pestilent fellow, and a mover of sedition among all the Yahudim throughout the world and a ringleader of the sect (G139, hairesis) of the Nazarenes (G3480).”

Similar to the treatment Yeshua received as well as His Apostles and His Faithful Followers. Similar to the treatment received by some 21st Century Christians from Xtremists like ISIL and Isis.

Hebrews 11:35-38 CJB
35 Women received back their dead resurrected; other people were stretched on the rack and beaten to death, refusing to be ransomed, so that they would gain a better resurrection
36 Others underwent the trials of being mocked and whipped, then chained and imprisoned.
37 They were stoned, sawed in two, murdered by the sword; they went about clothed in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted, mistreated,
38 wandering about in deserts and mountains, living in caves and holes in the ground! The world was not worthy of them!

Thankfully, Messianic Judaism isn't Anti-Christian. It's taken for granted that Messianic Judaism is Pro-Christian so no need to make any reference to "Anti-Christian" views not being tolerated in the MJ Forum's SOP. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The question of whether "Christian" is a helpful label to apply to oneself doesn't actually have anything to do with the LITERAL or original meaning of the word.

Remember, Gay just used to mean "happy".

Muslim just means "a person in submission", and the implication is that he or she is in submission to God.
Islam just means submission, and the implication is that it refers to submission to God.
I believe in submission to God. I believe in being in submission to God.

BUT it would be horribly misleading of me to say I am a Muslim or that I am following Islam.

Why would it be misleading ?
Because I don't make any attempt to live after the Islamic law of the Muslims. Nor do I make an attempt to live after the Christian church laws. My walk is in the Torah of Hashem.

Hence to say I am Christian or Muslim would in practice be misleading, as it would
(99+ percent of the time) cause people to think I am not accepting the Torah as valid and walking in its path.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elihoenai

Apr 9, 2015
London, England
✟49,200.00
Faith
I agree, but you must understand:

That may be the dictionary definition, but the DE FACTO definition is more important.

What is most important to a true follower of Christ is the meaning of the term Christian as defined in the scriptures and how to embody the qualities of a Christian. Seeing through the eyes of Jehovah/Yahweh and not the heathen is a requirement for overcoming sin.

John 9:39-41 King James Version (KJV)

39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?

41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

If you tell someone you're Christian they will assume you don't keep the Jewish (ie. God's) law.

That is the ineluctable reality of the matter.

The term Christian has been polluted by those calling themselves Christian.

Ezekiel 7:20-22 King James Version (KJV)

20 As for the beauty of his ornament, he set it in majesty: but they made the images of their abominations and of their detestable things therein: therefore have I set it far from them.

21 And I will give it into the hands of the strangers for a prey, and to the wicked of the earth for a spoil; and they shall pollute it.

22 My face will I turn also from them, and they shall pollute my secret place: for the robbers shall enter into it, and defile it.

Romans 1:23-25 King James Version (KJV)

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

Upvote 0