The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
At times, some members might notice that those such as myself, various Orthodox members like my Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox friends @prodromos @HTacianas @FenderTL5 @dzheremi and other friends of ours such as @ViaCrucis may use a vocabulary somewhat unfamiliar to the average Western Christian, but it is one replete with Greek and to a lesser but important extent, Syriac and indeed Coptic and Church Slavonic theological terminology that was of extreme Patristic importance during the first 1200 years of Christianity, and which remains of great relevance and utility today.

I thought it might be of benefit and interest to members if I decode some of this Oriental jargon, much of which is used by members of different ethno-linguistic groups. For example, the Syriac Orthodox and Coptic Orthodox divine liturgy are populated with phrases that are either Greek (such as Stomen Kalos “Stand aright!” And “Kyrie Eleison” (Lord have mercy!) and which in other cases are loanwords of Koine Greek origin, for example, the Syriac Orthodox vestment which corresponds to the western Chasuble or Cope is called a Phayno, from the Greek Phelonion, and a major variety of Syriac Orthodox hymn is called a Qanone in Syriac Aramaic, because it is based on the Greek type of him called a Canon (not to be confused with the Roman Canon, which is a Eucharistic Prayer, or Anaphora, to use the Greek term; Anaphora is a rhetorical term of art, but in Christian Ecclesiastical usage always refers to the prayers for the consecration of Holy Communion).

So here are some additional useful terms that you might not know, aside from the ones I just mentioned, which I rather like to use as do many fellow members:

Phronema - Greek for “forehead”, specifically, to have an “Orthodox Phronema” means to understand the Orthodox faith (even if one is not themselves Orthodox). Acquiring an Orthodox phronema is a challenging task for Catechumens, another Greek word which means those learning the faith. When Catechumens are ready to be baptized, usually on Holy Saturday, they are said to be Energumens.

Prelest - this is a Church Slavonic word (my friend @ViaCrucis knows the Greek original, but I forgot it, as most Orthodox literature recently composed for some reason uses the Church Slavonic), that refers to spiritual delusion. Catechumens and even the faithful can fall into spiritual delusion as a result of embracing heresies. However, within the Orthodox church there is a freedom to have opinions, within the limits defined by the ecumenical councils and church tradition, or Paradosis, these being known as theolougoumemna in the plural or as a theologoumemnon in the singular. The word is a bit of a tongue twister and one risks sounding perhaps a tad pretentious if one drops it in casual dinner conversation, but it is quite a useful word. It literally means “theological opinion” or “opinions”, and usually has the context of being an acceptable opinion which is not heretical. However, all heresies one can argue begin life as bad theologoumemna, and so some Orthodox fathers discourage one from being highly opinionated and equate opinionation with arrogance, which is certainly a viewpoint I have some sympathy with. Nonetheless the fact that Orthodoxy allows its members to have diverse theologoumemna on issues not defined by Holy Tradition, by the Kerygma, or teaching, of the Church, provided that one is clear to assert that these are private opinions, shows that the Orthodox churches are not as conformist as they are depicted as being.

Indeed I would argue Orthodoxy demands much less conformity than most Western churches, in that Orthodox theology tends to be defined apophatically, that is, through negation; to a large extent Orthodoxy is more dogmatically proscriptive than prescriptive (but where Orthodoxy certainly is prescriptive is in liturgics, that is, in worship, for Orthodoxy literally means “Correct Glorification.” The Slavonic word Pravoslavie is an almost literal translation of this.

Perhaps there are other Eastern theological terms of art that you have seen those of us learned in them casually toss about without understanding what on Earth we are talking about, which is nothing to be ashamed of, on the contrary, it puts one in the thrilling position of being able to learn this language which I feel enriches the mind and insofar as much of it is of Scriptural origin, provides some greater context to the Bible itself. And otherwise, to the writings of the early church Fathers. Understanding it is also key to understanding Eastern Christianity, which otherwise can appear to simply be some strange form of mystical Christianity, when in fact it is as rigorously intellectually grounded as Calvinism, Catholicism or Lutheranism.

So what are some Eastern theological terms you have seen us use, but do not understand? I am at your service, as your guide in exploring this terminology.

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟23,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One term that comes to mind is nous, the translation of which seems to be very contentious. It is usually translated as "intellect" or "mind," but I've had people tell me that those translations fall short of expressing the actual meaning. What's your take on nous?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
One term that comes to mind is nous, the translation of which seems to be very contentious. It is usually translated as "intellect" or "mind," but I've had people tell me that those translations fall short of expressing the actual meaning. What's your take on nous?

That’s a good question. I think the shortest answer would be to say that the Nous is something like “the mind of the Heart”, a sort of non-intellectual faculty that can discern faith. Thus infants benefit from Baptism and the Eucharist Noetically and their Baptism instills in them Pistis, or Faith. This, to me at least, is evocative of the Lutheran sacramental theology of Baptism as articulated by our friends @ViaCrucis @MarkRohfrietsch and @Ain't Zwinglian , albeit in a less monergistic manner, since there is, from my understanding, a noetic response, although in Orthodox synergism, it is the work of God in our salvation which is most important; we cooperate, but it is God through His uncreated Grace and His indwelling of us in the prosopon (person, albeit the word is derived from the Greek word that also means face and originally meant mask, but the three persons of the Trinity are definitely persons, and not mere masks, for they each possess a distinct hypostasis, a word which literally means “understanding” but which I think is best said to refer to their distinct identity within the unity of the Trinity).

The Wikipedia article on the Nous is actually good, and rather thorough, and I also would urge you to ask my friends @prodromos @HTacianas and if you post in The Ancient Way, ask Fr. Matthew (ArmyMatt), for they all have a much more developed Orthodox phronema than I do.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I like nepsis and perichoresis.

Yes indeed, I particularly like the explanation given to Nepsis, which is translated somewhat literally as “watchfulness”, but which should not be compared I don’t think with Buddhist “Mindfulness”, which might be similiar, or it might not, but its best to differentiate Orthodox doctrines from those of other religions via the Heresiological approach. Actually a study of the distinction between Nepsis and the Buddhist idea of “mindfulness”, which is more of a meditation concept.

Orthodox prayer is very different from the meditation of the Asiatic pagan religions, because whereas those stress putting the mind into neutral, so to speak, the Orthodox concept of Nepsis would reject that, and instead insists on a constant remembrance of Christ. This is why in praying the Jesus Prayer, the words Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God ,Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner, must be paid attention to, according to their meaning, and preferrably without falling back on the visual imagination, as opposed to being recited like a mantra.

The Jesus Prayer is the basic practice of Hesychasm, the contemplative prayer practiced by Orthodox monks (the distinction being anyone and everyone should pray the Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner”), or a variation, such as the Kyrie Eleision “Lord have mercy,” Hesychasm entails additional things and should be done under the direction of a starets (Church Slavonic, meaning a male elder (gerons) in Greek, there are also female elders (gerondas), I cannot remember the Church Slavonic name for them), who is basically a confessor; a starets might not neccessarily be a priest but should be approved by one’s Orthodox presbyter (sometimes confusingly Anglicized as priest), and a gerons or geronda can be a priest, or a nun, or a monk, or an elderly laic (layman or laywoman).

St. Ignatius Brianchaninov wrote an entry level guide for the use of the Jesus Prayer by laity, called “On the Prayer of Jesus”, whereas the Philokalia, a compilation of Patristic writings by the Athonite (from Mount Athos) monks St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite (another term for Athonite) and St. Macarius of Corinth on issues such as prayer, asceticism, mystical theology, and of course hesychasm, as well as another book by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, The Arena, and several other, which address Hesychasm. But one cannot, and must not, attempt to become a hesychast by reading a book.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes indeed, I particularly like the explanation given to Nepsis, which is translated somewhat literally as “watchfulness”, but which should not be compared I don’t think with Buddhist “Mindfulness”, which might be similiar, or it might not, but its best to differentiate Orthodox doctrines from those of other religions via the Heresiological approach. Actually a study of the distinction between Nepsis and the Buddhist idea of “mindfulness”, which is more of a meditation concept.

Orthodox prayer is very different from the meditation of the Asiatic pagan religions, because whereas those stress putting the mind into neutral, so to speak, the Orthodox concept of Nepsis would reject that, and instead insists on a constant remembrance of Christ. This is why in praying the Jesus Prayer, the words Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God ,Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner, must be paid attention to, according to their meaning, and preferrably without falling back on the visual imagination, as opposed to being recited like a mantra.

The Jesus Prayer is the basic practice of Hesychasm, the contemplative prayer practiced by Orthodox monks (the distinction being anyone and everyone should pray the Jesus Prayer (“Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy on Me, a Sinner”), or a variation, such as the Kyrie Eleision “Lord have mercy,” Hesychasm entails additional things and should be done under the direction of a starets (Church Slavonic, meaning a male elder (gerons) in Greek, there are also female elders (gerondas), I cannot remember the Church Slavonic name for them), who is basically a confessor; a starets might not neccessarily be a priest but should be approved by one’s Orthodox presbyter (sometimes confusingly Anglicized as priest), and a gerons or geronda can be a priest, or a nun, or a monk, or an elderly laic (layman or laywoman).

St. Ignatius Brianchaninov wrote an entry level guide for the use of the Jesus Prayer by laity, called “On the Prayer of Jesus”, whereas the Philokalia, a compilation of Patristic writings by the Athonite (from Mount Athos) monks St. Nicodemus the Hagiorite (another term for Athonite) and St. Macarius of Corinth on issues such as prayer, asceticism, mystical theology, and of course hesychasm, as well as another book by St. Ignatius Brianchaninov, The Arena, and several other, which address Hesychasm. But one cannot, and must not, attempt to become a hesychast by reading a book.
Yes, I was looking into that comparison and contrast hoping to come away saying Christianity has its own form of "Mindfulness". But they are quite different in context, method, purpose and result.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0