Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Sooooooo The foundation of the church is greek, where Christian came into being.... Then why are you over here with those who believe the foundation of the congregation of believers were Hebrew speaking people in Jerusalem.
I'm not a Gentile.

Even so, I accept both my Jewish, Hebrew heritage, and also my Christian, Greek heritage. I can recite both the Shma and the Kyrie with equal identification. I have no problems saying I am both a Jew and a Christian.

Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How did that term come about?

The word “christianos” (Latin, Christianus) was a term of scorn, traced back through a related word which history never “revised”.

cre·tin (krēt’n) n.
1. A person afflicted with cretinism.
Slang: An idiot.
[French crétin, from French dialectal, deformed and mentally person found in certain Alpine valleys, from Vulgar Latin *christiānus, Christian, human being, poor fellow, from Latin Chrīstiānus, Christian; see Christian.] Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
I was thinking how little things have changed in 2000 years.
the more things change, the more they stay the same

Reactions: BabylonWeary
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I always understood the word "Christian" being a derisive word meaning "small Christ."

It may have been derisive and those early Jews embraced it and made it their own... they do that! :) Even the term, "Jew," began as a derisive term. But, with "Christ" meaning anointed (a transliteration of Christos) and the "ian" ending being a suffix that means "of or belonging to," then the word simply means, "One who belongs to the anointed one." So, derisive or not... if you belong to Yeshua, call him Lord... the word "Christian" can be a word used to describe you. :)

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I always understood the word "Christian" being a derisive word meaning "small Christ."
It was originally derisive, but hasn't been for nearly 2000 years. No, it doesn't mean "small Christ."

Upvote 0

BabylonWeary

American
Jun 11, 2015
✟15,537.00
Faith
Christian
It's hard to know what is a Christian anymore. Elsewhere I'm reading about Jews and Christians, and comparing the KJV to some Jewish translation, and probably criticized for it, that for some reason a different knowledge of the gospel is difficult for others to accept. Two thousand years ago there were no church doctrines, but with each generation in all that time there are compromises because Christianity is about the most whimsical thing there is. The same people who say we no longer have the Law but instead have Grace will throw an intellectual tantrum if their Constitutional rights are violated, or am I the only one to notice that? We follow a Roman calendar but then expect the Hebrew prophecies to conform to it. If you read Malachi, do you see it in yourself and in the world? Does Malachi 3:3 appear to be a worthwhile cause?

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to know what is a Christian anymore. Elsewhere I'm reading about Jews and Christians, and comparing the KJV to some Jewish translation, and probably criticized for it, that for some reason a different knowledge of the gospel is difficult for others to accept. Two thousand years ago there were no church doctrines, but with each generation in all that time there are compromises because Christianity is about the most whimsical thing there is. The same people who say we no longer have the Law but instead have Grace will throw an intellectual tantrum if their Constitutional rights are violated, or am I the only one to notice that? We follow a Roman calendar but then expect the Hebrew prophecies to conform to it. If you read Malachi, do you see it in yourself and in the world? Does Malachi 3:3 appear to be a worthwhile cause?

While I do believe there has been a veil that is being lifted today... you make a great point in that, God has 613 commandments (+/-) and at this time and not being in the land... how many pertain to each of us? 100? 120? Yet if we go to a law library we will find that just on the Federal level, there are over 20,000+ gun laws (or related ammo laws) and that isn't then looking into the state or local level. And then that fact jumps out.... federal, state AND local laws... and God has 100+ commandments that pertain to us today. Which one is the burden? Which one weighs us down? My gosh, the Federal tax code has gone from 400 pages in 1913 to over 73,000 in 2013.... PAGES of tax code and again, that is the federal level, not state and local. So we whine and cry about God's law being a punishment for those dirty Jews.... and then not say a word when it comes to more secular laws than we can possibly grasp!

* Please note, "dirty Jews" does NOT reflect my feeling in the least. Just trying to draw a picture based on SOME dispensational theology.

Upvote 0

ron4shua

" ... each in our own order " , Hallelu-YAH .
Aug 3, 2014
Sacramento valley
Visit site
✟12,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/index.htm
http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/www.innvista.com/scriptures/compare/default.htm

Come Out of Her, My People. Pages 57-60.

The title "lord" is applied to all heathen deities, if the word "god" is not used for them. In most cases "lord" and "god" are used interchangeably for pagan idols.

There was an Etruscan house deity whose name was Lar, which signified "Lord." It was also known as Larth, who later on became very popular in Rome and became known as Lares (plural) because as idol statues they were usually in pairs. The Greek equivalent of this name was Heros, which was another name for Zeus. A feminine form was known as Lara, who was the beloved of the god Mercury.

Lar and Larth mean Lord. The letters "th" and "d" were virtually interchangeably used, in various nations. It was also common to find "o" and "a" interchangeably used in Old and Middle English. The word "Lord" can also be traced back to Loride, a surname for the Teutonic god Thor, and to Lordo, another deity.

Instead of "Lord," the word "Master," an exact rendering of the Hebrew Adonai and the Greek Kurios, can be used.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/index.htm
http://tyndalearchive.com/scriptures/www.innvista.com/scriptures/compare/default.htm

Come Out of Her, My People. Pages 57-60.

The title "lord" is applied to all heathen deities, if the word "god" is not used for them. In most cases "lord" and "god" are used interchangeably for pagan idols.

There was an Etruscan house deity whose name was Lar, which signified "Lord." It was also known as Larth, who later on became very popular in Rome and became known as Lares (plural) because as idol statues they were usually in pairs. The Greek equivalent of this name was Heros, which was another name for Zeus. A feminine form was known as Lara, who was the beloved of the god Mercury.

Lar and Larth mean Lord. The letters "th" and "d" were virtually interchangeably used, in various nations. It was also common to find "o" and "a" interchangeably used in Old and Middle English. The word "Lord" can also be traced back to Loride, a surname for the Teutonic god Thor, and to Lordo, another deity.

Instead of "Lord," the word "Master," an exact rendering of the Hebrew Adonai and the Greek Kurios, can be used.

With all due respect Ron, a word is nothing more than a symbol that points to a person, place, thing, or describes its action. The time and culture in which a word is used is what drives what it points to and what it means in said culture and time. For example, in 1900 I could have walked into a congregation and stated, "I had gay intercourse last night." Nobody there would have questioned me, in fact, they all would have understood that I had engaged in a pleasant or happy discussion. If I did the same today you know what the result would be... well, SHOULD be.

Today, the word Lord is equal to master. In 1828 when Webster published his dictionary, which standardized the modern English language, he defined Lord first as, "A master; a person possessing supreme power and authority; a ruler; a governor." There are a few more entries and all are related to this. The online Webster's defines Lord as, "one having power and authority over others." Does YHWH have power and authority over you? Yes... and seeing this word has been consistently defined for basically 400 years seeing by the time the KJV was penned the word Lord already carried the above concepts, then why would we go back further in time than that to grab a meaning of a word and force it on a culture who doesn't use it that way? That is Koster's error, if that line of reasoning was correct, brother, then you must now use the word gay ONLY as happy and make sure to correct anyone who dares using it as defined today? No... you wouldn't do that so why do it elsewhere? Because it is applied to God?

We have a decent amount of people in this movement that still think Lord is equal to ba'al (it is by the way) and as such we cannot use that word because that would be like calling God, Ba'al, the name of a false deity. But what these well intentioned brothers don't know is that God called Himself ba'al, it is the Hebrew word for husband or lord of the house. Abraham was Sarah's ba'al.

All these things do is divide. If we spend our time ONLY learning linguistics and grammar then we cannot spend any time learning Torah which is what is required so that we can walk in our calling. We don't need to learn Hebrew today (though it helps) as God will speak to us in our own tongue (Isaiah 28:11) and if a word meant something long ago and it means something else today, it is ok to use the modern meaning. LOL... when I first came into this over 15 years ago, I determined to not use the names of the days of the week because of their pagan connections. And that lasted about a week because I realized that A. I was acting irrationally and B. I was unable to communicate. Heck, most people think the first day of the week is Monday anyway because that is the day work begins for them and I think I need to teach THAT person what Monday was based on and why? :)

We have to be able to communicate, and while I won't call YHWH by a term understood TODAY as being applied to a pagan or false deity, I will speak so that others can understand or how else can we reach them and impart knowledge to them? So if they understand the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as Lord or God then I will use those words because they are being used to POINT to the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. If we removed every word that has been used for pagan purposes from our vocabulary, there wouldn't be many left to say anything.

Blessings.
Ken

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The word Christian was probably used derisively in the first century. However, being a Jewish movement at first, the Jewish believers in Yeshua embraced the word and made it their own, apparently this is a Jewish thing. :) You see, the word "Jew" was first used derisively as well and they embraced it and made it their own.

Christ is a transliteration of the Greek Christos which is the Greek word for "anointed." So it is equal to the Hebrew mashiach, in English, messiah. The "ian" ending means "of or belonging to" (i.e. a pediatrician is one who belongs to the field of pediatrics) so a "Christian" literally means, "of or belonging to the anointed one." If you belong to Yeshua you are a Christian, even if you might prefer to refer to yourself as something else (Messianic, Nazarene, etc.).

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
The word Christian was probably used derisively in the first century. However, being a Jewish movement at first, the Jewish believers in Yeshua embraced the word and made it their own, apparently this is a Jewish thing. :) You see, the word "Jew" was first used derisively as well and they embraced it and made it their own.

Christ is a transliteration of the Greek Christos which is the Greek word for "anointed." So it is equal to the Hebrew mashiach, in English, messiah. The "ian" ending means "of or belonging to" (i.e. a pediatrician is one who belongs to the field of pediatrics) so a "Christian" literally means, "of or belonging to the anointed one." If you belong to Yeshua you are a Christian, even if you might prefer to refer to yourself as something else (Messianic, Nazarene, etc.).
I am so glad that "anointed one" is Yeshua and not some congregations.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This thread has undergone an extensive clean up due to off topic posts and reopened. Please remember the following rule:

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I'm not a Gentile.

Even so, I accept both my Jewish, Hebrew heritage, and also my Christian, Greek heritage. I can recite both the Shma and the Kyrie with equal identification. I have no problems saying I am both a Jew and a Christian.
By blood one, by faith another.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I'm not a Gentile.

I am glad you have clarified this in more recent posts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums