Bronx NYC
✟38,941.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Not to mention the fact that for the almost 200 years in the history of this this country before the Civil War, whites thought it was perfectly okay to own other human beings made in the image and likeness of God and do whatever they wanted with them.
Or more recent that after they were freed many whites felt they were better human beings superior to them. Known as the jim crow this was in the 1960s that's not even a 100 years. I know people that can remember being second place because of their skin.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Or more recent that after they were freed many whites felt they were better human beings superior to them. Known as the jim crow this was in the 1960s that's not even a 100 years. I know people that can remember being second place because of their skin.
My grandfather was at Thanksgiving last night and told us about how when he was in the military (Korean war era), he can still remember separate white and black bathrooms and water fountains in the town near his base.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'm one who stands with the cops when most call them pigs and such, but this video is disturbing. Why shoot a kid that's walking away? 16 times?

I (nowadays) tend to stand with the cops--unless/until proof comes out that they're not defend-worthy. (For the most part, I'm behind the idea of body cameras, so that any bad behavior--by the cop's/cops', suspect's/suspects' OR both parties--can be seen clearly.)

In this particular case being discussed, 16 rounds emptied into an armed guy who was walking away from the cops was more than excessive; it was murder, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,709.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In the future, this era of the united states will most likely be known as the second jim crow era, with the racial segregation lines not drawn by actual laws and writings, but by prejudice and systematic discrimination. First, the barbed wire was drawn around the necks of the slaves, then it was drawn through the papers of the law, and now it is drawn through the heads of people.

Luckily, this means that it keeps getting less substantial, but it didn't become less substantial by doing nothing and waiting and being good little slaves/second class citizens the last two times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It was white people who spent 200+ years bringing blacks to this country and robbing them of the same economic and educational opportunities afforded to other groups, abusing them with government authority, pushing them into ghettos, and ultimately forcing them into a position of a permanent underclass, where issues like what you describe fester and thrive. Any group would act like that if forcefully impoverished and segregated from society; in the US, we did it to blacks.

Whites were not alone. Many blacks in the country of origin were heavily involved in the slave trade.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whites were not alone. Many blacks in the country of origin were heavily involved in the slave trade.

That's great, but your adding "but blacks did it too" is nothing but a weak attempt at deflecting the blame from where it's due. IN THIS COUNTRY, slavery was an overwhelming white-over-black institution. Additionally, post-slavery, it was blacks, not whites, who were on the wrong end of the various segregationist/Jim Crow/racist policies up through the mid 60's and beyond. One could probably make an argument that it's more the post-slavery policies rather than slavery itself that caused the problems we see today.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
That's great, but your adding "but blacks did it too" is nothing but a weak attempt at deflecting the blame from where it's due. IN THIS COUNTRY, slavery was an overwhelming white-over-black institution. Additionally, post-slavery, it was blacks, not whites, who were on the wrong end of the various segregationist/Jim Crow/racist policies up through the mid 60's and beyond. One could probably make an argument that it's more the post-slavery policies rather than slavery itself that caused the problems we see today.

No, it's not a weak attempt at deflecting because that's NOT my intent. But it's rarely mentioned that blacks played a significant role in the slave trade. Since that's a fact of history, it deserves mention.

Also, it's a fair point to question the legitimacy of the "Black Lives Matter" mantra when it's a fact that blacks have killed 13 million blacks since 1973. http://www.blackgenocide.org/black.html

Black on black crime is epidemic: https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...ter-should-also-take-on-black-on-black-crime/

I believe that black lives DO matter. But the movement isn't consistent and ignores some aspects of the challenges blacks face.

Reactions: My Shalom
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shrug...........

Who cares?
Wait, aren't you the same guy who cares a lot about pagan symbols on a coffee cup?

God cares:

Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live? -- Ezekiel 18

God cares enough to repeat Himself:

Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. -- Ezekiel 33

God cared enough that Jesus died, and died hard, for the sins of a world of heathens.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Irrelevant. That was in Africa by pagans. This was in America by Christians...who knew from the very first ship that it was a sin. Christians like Roger Williams and even atheists like Thomas Paine told them it was a sin. The Pope told them it was a sin. All the Founding Fathers at the time the Constitution was signed, including the slaveholders, agreed at the time it was a sin.

But they did it anyway.

The fact that non-Christians were doing it is irrelevant...Christians aren't merely supposed to be no worse than non-Christians.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Black lives need to matter to black people first!

Why? That's an absurd thing for a Christian to say. That's like saying Jesus should not have loved us before we loved each other.

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's when you lean your seat back and you are driving. You know how crazy it is that they have this idea that gangster shot guns differently. They typically hold it straight to your head, the do shoot with one hand but it's rarely slanted. That's just media antics it doesn't even make sense. WHen someone wants to kill you they aren't worried about how the gun looks in their hand or if they are getting shot at nobody is thinking "boy it sure would be cool if I shoot like that."

This an extreme funny gangster lean but it's the same concept lean back.

Actually, "gangster lean" is older than reclining seats. Gangsters were doing it 'way back in the 30s, leaning over to the side to present less of a target to someone shooting at them through the window.

With regard to "don't snitch," that's also far older as well. Every ethnic neighborhood has had "don't snitch" rules in its past--Irish, Polish, Italian, Chinese, Hmong, all of them, with regard to the "foreign" ethnicity of the police.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Irrelevant. That was in Africa by pagans. This was in America by Christians...who knew from the very first ship that it was a sin. Christians like Roger Williams and even atheists like Thomas Paine told them it was a sin. The Pope told them it was a sin. All the Founding Fathers at the time the Constitution was signed, including the slaveholders, agreed at the time it was a sin.

But they did it anyway.

The fact that non-Christians were doing it is irrelevant...Christians aren't merely supposed to be no worse than non-Christians.

Not irrelevant to the rhetoric of today. And it was Christians who fought against slavery and dismantled it.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,709.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not irrelevant to the rhetoric of today. And it was Christians who fought against slavery and dismantled it.
Against who? I think they fought against christians. It's like religion was not really a factor here on picking sides, aint it?

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Glad to see the cop is getting charged. What's sad is that the only reason the truth came out in this situation is because of the current political climate. Had this happened five years ago people would have taken the cops word without question and the shooter would be out on patrol right now.

Edit: I take back what I said about being out on patrol. He probably would have made detective by now.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Against who? I think they fought against christians. It's like religion was not really a factor here on picking sides, aint it?

People from all world views were involved in the slave trade. It's important to be accurate about this issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My grandfather was at Thanksgiving last night and told us about how when he was in the military (Korean war era), he can still remember separate white and black bathrooms and water fountains in the town near his base.

I am 59 and I remember there being bathrooms for "whites" and "coloreds" when I was very small. It was the same with the drinking fountains. Blacks had to stay in separate hotels as well. Unfortunately, there are people who would like to see us go back to that.

Reactions: Mary7
Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Most slave owners were Christians and many Christians imported it. Many Christians were also members of the KKK and also fought integration in the 60's. I am sure that many of those police officers who had their police dogs attack black people who were protesting for civil rights considered themselves Christians, as well as those who set the freedom buses on fire with people in them.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Most slave owners were Christians and many Christians imported it. Many Christians were also members of the KKK and also fought integration in the 60's. I am sure that many of those police officers who had their police dogs attack black people who were protesting for civil rights considered themselves Christians, as well as those who set the freedom buses on fire with people in them.

I don't dispute that.

Upvote 0

My Shalom

We're The Christians The Devil Warned You About!
Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
P.S.
What is actually irrelevant is the slave trade being brought into a discussion about BLM.

And what say you then of the free blacks in America who owned slaves?

New here I realize however, I have to say the gang mentality that appears in the first part of this page wherein one member openly berates a fellow Christian for what is that Christian's judgment of another's ignorance, and while being supported by more than one other Christian, is a tragedy.

That the slave trade that occurred in Africa is somehow dismissed because those were pagan's, when one cannot buy what is not for sale, is equally tragic. African's sold prisoners they'd acquired in tribal warfare and through other means. And to this day virtually ever race is enslaved somewhere in the world.

One can pipe up that someone needs to read to be educated instead of offering a knee jerk reaction, but when there is no evidence of education afforded by that critic it then appears to be a personal assault on a person , a reaction to something held personal against them. And impugning their level of education is simply an inroad to levying the first jab.
And for someone to invoke an amen in support of that assault is cringe worth and not at all of the Christian spirit.

If this is what BLM has inspired in a minority number of Christians here that's a lesson for the rest of us.

But they did it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not irrelevant to the rhetoric of today.

It's utterly irrelevant to the rhetoric of today because it's the history of this nation and this government. None of the African governments of then even exists today--might as well be talking about ancient Martians. But what is the US today has direct connections to the US of 150 years ago.

And it was Christians who fought against slavery and dismantled it.

Fought other Christians. And the reasons there were such differences need discussion.

Upvote 0