Dec 29, 2013
✟347,449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Is there a death penalty in Illinois? I haven't yet looked that up. I wonder if there is, would this officer qualify?
The death penalty has been abolished since 2011 in IL, and before that there was a executive moratorium placed in 2003.

There has been a lot of anger over this. There are calls for the resignations of both Mayor Emmanuel and State's Attorney Alvarez, as well as the firing of Superintendent McCarthy.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There are calls for the resignations of both Mayor Emmanuel and State's Attorney Alvarez, as well as the firing of Superintendent McCarthy.

I've grown up in the Chicago 'burbs. Yesterday, at our small Thanksgiving gathering, my dad said that he hopes Ms. Alvarez is booted out on her backside due to the cover-up of this blatant murder. He's not fond of Mayor Emmanuel, either, and he is--or at least was--a long-time Democrat.

Upvote 0

Mary7

Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2015
Mississippi
✟75,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am 59 and I remember there being bathrooms for "whites" and "coloreds" when I was very small. It was the same with the drinking fountains. Blacks had to stay in separate hotels as well. Unfortunately, there are people who would like to see us go back to that.
I grew up with those conditions also. I have to wonder about the 'make America like it used to be' I am hearing from politicians. Do they mean going back like it was in the 50s?

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
The problem is when the policy is prejudice. If I drive my car with a gangsta lean, which is how I learned how to drive, I will be stopped more. If I am wearing skinny jeans with an LV buckle with some jordans on I will be more likely to be stopped. If I drive my charger with my chain on I will be getting stopped. I want a BMW so bad but everyone is telling me not to get it, I will make myself a target. With all of my accomplishments why can't I drive what I want?

If you drive your car "with a gangsta lean", and attempt to dress in "gangsta" fashion, it would be reasonable to conclude that you're trying to appear "gangsta", and therefore people who see you will believe you to be just that.

You can dress how you like, and drive how you like, but if you dress and act in a manner with the intention of presenting a certain appearance, then you shouldn't be upset if others perceive you as having the traits you intend to portray.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I don't know about the death penalty. Other than the killing of this black kid, I don't know much about the back story. I don't get how an officer can think such and act might be justified. I don't want to watch the video but perhaps there's a good link to the full back story (details, mind set of the officer, exchange between the kid and officer).

I've watched the video. The "exchange" between the kid and the officer is that he's jogging and then walking away from the officers (there were 3 police cars behind and to the left of the victim in the video), and then gets shot multiple times while he's not threatening the officers nor anyone else (there was no one else present). I could not see a knife in his hand, although i would say it is certainly possible that he held a knife (he was not brandishing it, howevever).

It was murder, plain and simple. Multiple officers present, the guy was not threatening anybody. I absolutely believe that he did break into several cars, as reported, but i'm not aware of any state in which the proper penalty for theft is death.

Reactions: My Shalom
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I did a little more reading on the story and the lawyer for the officer is claiming the officer feared for his life. The kid was on PCP. There were several squad cars there and none of the other officers shot their weapons. Nothing seems to add up on shooting this kid.

Officers always say they feared for their life after in their reports of them shooting someone. It's only the case in which we have video evidence is the officers assertion that he feared for his life questioned. Even then, the evidence against the officer needs to be 100% conclusive, and even then, there are often attempts by the police department and district attorney to bury the case against the officer (as was the case here, until additional independent review).

Reactions: PapaZoom
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
There are more videos surfacing showing this incident as well.
A Burger King's security video that was password protected was accessed by officers as well. The manager testified after the officers viewed the video there was an 86 minute gap including that footage of the shooting.
I would hope those officers are charged as would be any civilian would be for tampering with evidence. And I agree, something's not adding up here. Sixteen shots is overkill to say the least. After two bullets struck him, Laquan dropped like a stone onto his right side. He wasn't making a move to get up or anything. He lay there taking 14 more shots to his body while laying on a cold road.

At this point, lawyers for the officers are claiming there is no evidence of them tampering with the video evidence at the Burger King, although from the manager of the BK, the officers were the only ones to have access to that video before it was deleted.

I agree with you, those covering up the crime should be held responsible for obstruction of justice. That being said, i don't think they will, as too many officers were involved in the cover up.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,449.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What needs to happen I think is for AG Madigan to either take the case herself or appoint one of her AAGs as a special prosecutor. Honestly I think in general that incidents involving police need to be investigated by civilians and prosecuted if necessary by the state.

Upvote 0

My Shalom

We're The Christians The Devil Warned You About!
Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At this point, lawyers for the officers are claiming there is no evidence of them tampering with the video evidence at the Burger King, although from the manager of the BK, the officers were the only ones to have access to that video before it was deleted.

I agree with you, those covering up the crime should be held responsible for obstruction of justice. That being said, i don't think they will, as too many officers were involved in the cover up.
That's how putting a stop to bad police starts. Prosecute everyone involved in a cover up. And especially in the case of the alleged first degree murder of a teenager and that then sends the message to all other officers who may think to do something illegal in future.
And then, take the pensions those prosecuted officers had accrued to that point and give it to their victims family.

When police aren't legally obligated to serve the public they should never be allowed to get away with betraying the public.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
That's how putting a stop to bad police starts. Prosecute everyone involved in a cover up. And especially in the case of the alleged first degree murder of a teenager and that then sends the message to all other officers who may think to do something illegal in future.
And then, take the pensions those prosecuted officers had accrued to that point and give it to their victims family.

When police aren't legally obligated to serve the public they should never be allowed to get away with betraying the public.

I agree, that's how it should start, but i've been following too many cases of officers committing wrongdoing, covering it up, and the consequences (or lack thereof) for the officers involved to think that those involved in the cover up will get more than a slap on the wrist.

There's a story involving the Omaha PD, in which at least 16 (i've heard as many as 20) officers were involved (thread here: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/extreme-overuse-of-force-by-omaha-pd.7860219/ ). There wasn't a murder, just multiple unlawful assaults, destruction of evidence, and a clear cover up. Initial statement by the department backed the false narrative of the police officers. It wasn't until additional video evidence (one persons evidence was destroyed, but someone else also had condemning footage) came to light that any investigation of the criminal action occurred. The only criminal consequence was to the officer that pleaded guilty to of obstruction of justice. There was no jail time, and none of the other officers involved were prosecuted criminally for their criminal acts. 6 lost their job. That's a punishment, but a citizen that engaged in that behavior would face criminal consequences.

Upvote 0

My Shalom

Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, sadly corrupt law enforcement very often is above the laws they enforce on others. And it is that knowledge that I think inspires the bad cops to act out. They know nothing will really befall them so why worry?
Killers with badges, in this case. That poor boy. Can you imagine his horror? He's shot twice, hits the ground, and then feels, if he felt it, 14 more bullets penetrate his body over and over until the brilliance of the street lights overhead started to fade. And he never knew why. :(

"To protect and serve...."
Why did we ever allow that to morph into the evil that is, "to murder and walk free"?
Now we'll see if a jury has the courage to bring justice to this particular case under discussion. Amadou Diallo wasn't vindicated by a jury with courage. Prayerfully Laquan McDonald shall be.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Yes, sadly corrupt law enforcement very often is above the laws they enforce on others. And it is that knowledge that I think inspires the bad cops to act out. They know nothing will really befall them so why worry?
Killers with badges, in this case. That poor boy. Can you imagine his horror? He's shot twice, hits the ground, and then feels, if he felt it, 14 more bullets penetrate his body over and over until the brilliance of the street lights overhead started to fade. And he never knew why. :(

"To protect and serve...."
Why did we ever allow that to morph into the evil that is, "to murder and walk free"?
Now we'll see if a jury has the courage to bring justice to this particular case under discussion. Amadou Diallo wasn't vindicated by a jury with courage. Prayerfully Laquan McDonald shall be.

We also need to be clear and tempered. I don't want to say (and i see reflected in your posts as well) that "cops are bad" which gives the implication "all cops are bad". There do, however, seem to be some fairly corrupt police departments, and, the big issue is (as you say) the lack of consequences for the bad officers, which does give fuel for other bad officers to act out.

Upvote 0

My Shalom

Nov 26, 2015
✟1,604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is why bad cops are in a class by themselves. And sadly the impression they leave on the communities they serve can make all other officers suspect in the eyes of the public they serve. That is why I think there should be a zero tolerance policy in place around the country. People should trust officers not fear them. Get rid of the bad ones, make news in that regard, and it could instill trust in the community that the police do indeed police themselves. Something that sadly doesn't appear all that common now days.

Upvote 0

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've watched the video. The "exchange" between the kid and the officer is that he's jogging and then walking away from the officers (there were 3 police cars behind and to the left of the victim in the video), and then gets shot multiple times while he's not threatening the officers nor anyone else (there was no one else present). I could not see a knife in his hand, although i would say it is certainly possible that he held a knife (he was not brandishing it, howevever).

It was murder, plain and simple. Multiple officers present, the guy was not threatening anybody. I absolutely believe that he did break into several cars, as reported, but i'm not aware of any state in which the proper penalty for theft is death.

I agree with you on this. I would like to know more information. What was that one officer thinking that the other 8 or so weren't. He's the only one that fired his weapon. It's clear that the kid wasn't an immediate threat. But the officer's defense team is claiming he was in fear of his life. Of course they would say that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PapaZoom

Nov 3, 2013
car
✟59,306.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I am convinced they deleted it. The officers brought in some tech guy because they didn't even know how to run the equipment. A tech guy could easily delete that. It's too coincidental that only that footage (around the time of the shooting) is missing.

Upvote 0