Is Jacob Blake a victim of police abuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did was not familiar with the entire story until I looked it up. You have to go through a whole lot of propaganda, but here is the factual accounting, no dram involved:

Officers were called to the scene by a woman who said the father of her children had taken the keys to her rental car, was “talking all types of crazy” and wasn’t supposed to be on the premises.

Responding officers looked up a warrant and found that Mr. Blake had been charged with criminal trespass, sexual assault of the same woman and two counts of disorderly conduct. Under department policy, the officers had no choice but to arrest Mr. Blake due to the felony warrant, said Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley.

When they first arrived, officers spoke briefly with Mr. Blake, who was evasive and tried to leave, the prosecutor said. Officers scuffled with Mr. Blake, who broke away, he said, then fired two sets of stun-gun probes at him, which he pulled out, and eventually tried stunning him directly.

Noble Wray, the first Black chief of the Madison, Wis., police department and an expert in police use of force incidents who was brought in as a consultant to the prosecutor, said that Mr. Sheskey used an appropriate escalation of force in dealing with a noncooperative arrest subject. And when the officer was threatened with a knife by a person getting into a car whose ownership was in dispute and with three children inside who might be endangered, he was justified in firing shots to stop the threat, said Mr. Wray.
There is no reference in the audio to race being a factor. How can he be a victim?

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not even commenting on the actual events in the OP, just this part:

There is no reference in the audio to race being a factor. How can he be a victim?

Even if the officer were an absolute raging racist who regularly attended Klan meetings do you seriously think he's going blurt it out or write it up on a report as the reason he responded to and/or the actions he took on the call?

Do you think racism has to be announced and admitted to in order to exist? Like, only actions following, "I hate [insert ethnicity] people" count as racism or something? 'Cause that's what it seems like.

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I did was not familiar with the entire story until I looked it up. You have to go through a whole lot of propaganda, but here is the factual accounting, no dram involved:

Officers were called to the scene by a woman who said the father of her children had taken the keys to her rental car, was “talking all types of crazy” and wasn’t supposed to be on the premises.
Does not seem it was abuse. Looks like a pretty scary situation there.
especially with children involved

Responding officers looked up a warrant and found that Mr. Blake had been charged with criminal trespass, sexual assault of the same woman and two counts of disorderly conduct. Under department policy, the officers had no choice but to arrest Mr. Blake due to the felony warrant, said Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley.

When they first arrived, officers spoke briefly with Mr. Blake, who was evasive and tried to leave, the prosecutor said. Officers scuffled with Mr. Blake, who broke away, he said, then fired two sets of stun-gun probes at him, which he pulled out, and eventually tried stunning him directly.

Noble Wray, the first Black chief of the Madison, Wis., police department and an expert in police use of force incidents who was brought in as a consultant to the prosecutor, said that Mr. Sheskey used an appropriate escalation of force in dealing with a noncooperative arrest subject. And when the officer was threatened with a knife by a person getting into a car whose ownership was in dispute and with three children inside who might be endangered, he was justified in firing shots to stop the threat, said Mr. Wray.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not even commenting on the actual events in the OP, just this part:

Even if the officer were an absolute raging racist who regularly attended Klan meetings do you seriously think he's going blurt it out or write it up on a report as the reason he responded to and/or the actions he took on the call?

Do you think racism has to be announced and admitted to in order to exist? Like, only actions following, "I hate [insert ethnicity] people" count as racism or something? 'Cause that's what it seems like.

What part of the scenario is racist?

The man sexually assaulted the woman, the woman filed charges resulting in a felony warrant being issued.

He goes over to the woman’s house and she calls the cops for help.

The cops are required to arrest on a felony warrant. He resist arrest, physically engages the officers, they use less than deadly force or the tasers, as he goes to get in the woman’s vehicles he brandishes a knife and is shot.

What is racism?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Furthermore the officers are immediately suspended, investigated by their department, the local DAs office, federal civil rights attorneys and there are no charges filed from any of them.

I’ll ask again, where is the racist?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Hmmm I thought the Biden justice dept was all woke and BLM. But here they are not pressing civil rights charges.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thread like this, conservatives in talk show ask question like OP is the reason police in this country can shoot a black man in the back and still get away with the crime. Thread like this in conservative’s talk show is the reason police can go to a black woman’s house and kill her while she sleeps and find themselves not guilty. Today's’ conservatism must end. America can’t move forward with these kind of mindset.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This isn't over kill?

It's not overkill but the right amount of kill. He already shrugged off two tazer rounds and kept on coming with the knife, most likely hoped up on drugs, and resisted previous attempts to negotiate and surrender.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmmm I thought the Biden justice dept was all woke and BLM. But here they are not pressing civil rights charges.

They did get involved:

A team of experienced federal prosecutors from the Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office reviewed evidence obtained by the FBI and state investigators to determine whether the police officer violated any federal laws, focusing on the application of deprivation of rights under color of law, a federal criminal civil rights statute that prohibits certain types of official misconduct. They conducted a detailed and lengthy analysis of numerous materials, including police reports, law enforcement accounts, witness statements, affidavits of witnesses, dispatch logs, physical evidence reports, photographs and videos of some portions of the incident.​

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, I would say he's not the victim of "police abuse"...

And even if he was, I'd like to see society get out of the habit canonizing of people (or making them out to be heroes) simply due to mistreatments they may have received at the hand of authority figures.

For instance, if Jeffrey Epstein was resisting arrest, and police grossly abused their authority and stomped him to death after he was already in cuffs, and all sat around and pointed and laughed afterwards, that still wouldn't be a good reason to name streets after Epstein and have city parks putting up murals in his honor.

In the Jacob Blake situation, I watched the video...they first tried talking, then he tried getting away, they blocked his path, and continued trying to talk, they then had a scuffle with him, after that ended, they then tried to deescalate yet again, a taser was involved, but tasers don't seem to work on everyone (there's plenty of videos of people either shrugging them off, or are simply not all that effected by them)

He walked around them and started opening his car door and reaching for a weapon.

Not sure how else people were expecting that to go down.

The number of rounds fired isn't as relevant as some people seem to make it out to be. Once the gun comes out, it's "life or death; threat suppression mode", I really haven't seen many exchanges where after it gets to that point, only one shot is fired, even in seeing footage from highly trained special operators (apart from snipers), once someone is considered a imminent threat, multiple rounds are fired until the "threat" is no longer a "threat"

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They did get involved:

A team of experienced federal prosecutors from the Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office reviewed evidence obtained by the FBI and state investigators to determine whether the police officer violated any federal laws, focusing on the application of deprivation of rights under color of law, a federal criminal civil rights statute that prohibits certain types of official misconduct. They conducted a detailed and lengthy analysis of numerous materials, including police reports, law enforcement accounts, witness statements, affidavits of witnesses, dispatch logs, physical evidence reports, photographs and videos of some portions of the incident.​
Of course they did. And then they didnt press charges.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's not overkill but the right amount of kill. He already shrugged off two tazer rounds and kept on coming with the knife, most likely hoped up on drugs, and resisted previous attempts to negotiate and surrender.

He was shot 7 times on the back , he wasn’t coming toward the police office with knife.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After a careful and thorough review, a team of experienced federal prosecutors determined that insufficient evidence exists to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the KPD officer willfully violated the federal criminal civil rights statutes. Accordingly, the review of this incident has been closed without a federal prosecution.

Federal Officials Close Review of the Officer-Involved Shooting of Jacob Blake

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“Mr. Blake was not unarmed. He was armed with a knife. The officers did not see the knife initially,” Matthews said in his statement. “The officers issued repeated commands for Mr. Blake to drop the knife. He did not comply.”

Matthews stated that officers went “hands-on” with Blake and two officers used tasers. “Mr. Blake forcefully fought with the officers,” including putting one of the officers in a headlock.
In the struggle to get in the vehicle Blake brandished a knife on the officer and was shot seven times, three in the side and four in his back as he turned.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The problem in a situation like this is the police report is worth literally nothing.

So where is the "factual accounting" coming from? I see no reference to body or ctv cams.

The entire system is created so police can shoot unarmed people and get way , only thing they have to say “ I was afraid of my life” .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.