✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Neverstop said:
From experience, the best seeds are the ones planted when I let Christ lead my steps. When it comes down to it, God really does get all the Glory and I am just blessed to be used.

My whole problem with proselytizing is, from a Christian perspective, it should not exist either conceptually or pragmatically. We Christians are supposed to do our best to let the light of the Holy Spirit shine through us...something so sweet and bright that others will trip over each other to get to. Sure, there are people who choose not to seek, but God loves them no less than those of us who do seek.
God told us to "Go therefore and make disciples of nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

This tells us our mission is both catechetical, and sacramental. We are charged with evangelization.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
geocajun said:
God told us to "Go therefore and make disciples of nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost."

This tells us our mission is both catechetical, and sacramental. We are charged with evangelization.

I agree, but when that evangelizing crosses the line, I think we are actually contradicting those words of instruction. One cannot force another to open their heart to Christ...they must WANT to do it of their own accord and desire. This is where Jesus was ESPECIALLY good...he knew exactly how to meet people where they were. Well, he did have an advantage, ya know, being God and all. :)

Upvote 0

MidnightBlue

June Carter, pray for us!
May 16, 2005
✟11,111.00
Faith
geocajun said:

Strictly speaking, that's the mission of the eleven surviving apostles to whom the injunction was addressed, and may not coincide with our own.

The problem with proselytizing Jews, and especially prosyletizing Jews as Jews, is that because of Christendom's long mistreatment and persecution of the Jews it has connotations of ethnocide. I would expect it to be especially offensive to Jews; it would be as if the Turks should take it upon themselves to enlighten the Greeks or the Armenians.

It's unfortunate that Christian evangelism rarely takes the form advocated by St. Seraphim: "Acquire the spirit of peace, and thousands around you will be saved."

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Neverstop said:
I agree, but when that evangelizing crosses the line, I think we are actually contradicting those words of instruction. One cannot force another to open their heart to Christ...they must WANT to do it of their own accord and desire. This is where Jesus was ESPECIALLY good...he knew exactly how to meet people where they were. Well, he did have an advantage, ya know, being God and all. :)
I never said a word about forcing someone. Did someone else say it? I may have missed that post.

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MidnightBlue said:
Strictly speaking, that's the mission of the eleven surviving apostles to whom the injunction was addressed, and may not coincide with our own.

It applies to us. Thats the neat thing about the gospel, is that its spread through mankind. God chooses to use us to tell others about him. Isn't that neat?
The problem with proselytizing Jews, and especially prosyletizing Jews as Jews, is that because of Christendom's long mistreatment and persecution of the Jews it has connotations of ethnocide. I would expect it to be especially offensive to Jews; it would be as if the Turks should take it upon themselves to enlighten the Greeks or the Armenians.

Jews are offended by anyone talking about religion with them, period. Secondly, Jews killed Christians long before Christians killed jews. Jews continue to kill Chrisitans, but its easier to ignore that and blame christians, while calling the jew who killed a chrisitan "militant" and saying "he was acting alone" but not giving christianity the same benefit as of course, we are the borg and always act as one body, one voice.
Secondly, Jews need Jesus just like anyone else, however its more special when a jew becomes Christian because Jesus is the fullfilment of the old covenant - its like a son getting his rightful inheretence.

It's unfortunate that Christian evangelism rarely takes the form advocated by St. Seraphim: "Acquire the spirit of peace, and thousands around you will be saved."

not sure where you've been looking :confused:

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Defensor Fidei said:
Kasper and certain others who have usurped positions of power in the Church are just stooges for the Jews. Do not mistake their opinions for Catholicism. The true Church constantly prays and works for the conversion of the perfidious Jews.

Do you know what perfidy is?

Main Entry: per·fi·dy javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?perfid02.wav=perfidy')
Pronunciation: 'p&r-f&-dE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -dies
Etymology: Latin perfidia, from perfidus faithless, from per- detrimental to + fides faith -- more at [size=-1]PER-[/size], [size=-1]FAITH[/size]
1 : the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal : [size=-1]TREACHERY[/size]
2 : an act or an instance of disloyalty

Did you mean what you said?

Upvote 0

Defensor Fidei

Jan 8, 2005
New York
✟4,207.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Green
Grizzly said:
Do you know what perfidy is?

Main Entry: per·fi·dy
Pronunciation: 'p&r-f&-dE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -dies
Etymology: Latin perfidia, from perfidus faithless, from per- detrimental to + fides faith -- more at [size=-1]PER-[/size], [size=-1]FAITH[/size]
1 : the quality or state of being faithless or disloyal : [size=-1]TREACHERY[/size]
2 : an act or an instance of disloyalty

Did you mean what you said?
The Catholic priest uses the original form of the word in the Latin regarding the Jews as part of Good Friday prayers, as the Church has for centuries. I didn't add it in randomly, I am following the Church of Christ, which certainly knows the meaning of the word both in Latin and English.

Oremus et pro perfidis Judæis: ut Deus et Dominus noster auferat velamen de cordibus eorum; ut et ipsi agnoscant Jesum Christum, Dominum nostrum.

Let us also pray for the perfidious Jews: that Our Lord and God may lift the covering off their hearts, so that they may acknowledge Jesus Christ Our Lord.

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Defensor Fidei said:
The Catholic priest uses the original form of the word in the Latin regarding the Jews as part of Good Friday prayers, as the Church has for centuries. I didn't add it in randomly, I am following the Church of Christ, which certainly knows the meaning of the word both in Latin and English.

Oremus et pro perfidis Judæis: ut Deus et Dominus noster auferat velamen de cordibus eorum; ut et ipsi agnoscant Jesum Christum, Dominum nostrum.

Let us also pray for the perfidious Jews: that Our Lord and God may lift the covering off their hearts, so that they may acknowledge Jesus Christ Our Lord.

Well, I was just curious, since it is false. Jews are not faithless. They clearly have a faith. Plus, the statement is obviously racist. Not all Jews fall into this description. And finally, it doesn't seem to be a very "Christian" statement. But maybe Christianity has changed alot since I left the Catholic Church.

PS. Please read my sig file. I believe you may find it applies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
C

chokmah

geocajun said:
:D

ahh ok

I'm afraid you either do not understand temple judaism or are trying to be difficult to safe face because of what I said.
Either way, I believe you to be wrong, and am confident in my understanding as its so often been supported by Jewish friends, and even Jewish Rabbi's. Naturally they disagree with me, but they don't pretend that what i've said is misrepresenting judaism as you are doing.
Whatever.

Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Grizzly said:
Well, I was just curious, since it is false. Jews are not faithless. They clearly have a faith. Plus, the statement is obviously racist. Not all Jews fall into this description. And finally, it doesn't seem to be a very "Christian" statement. But maybe Christianity has changed alot since I left the Catholic Church.

PS. Please read my sig file. I believe you may find it applies.

Its hard to deal with racists. Sad but true.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.