Dec 29, 2003
Fairfield
✟4,755.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Chosen One said:
Just because I few Rabis want to keep their little fiefdoms going- we should let the whole race go unsaved? I think not. God wants them to be saved too.

Rest assured, we Pastafarians will work tirelessly to save you Christians and bring you into the noodley appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0

Sphere

Sep 29, 2003
✟8,980.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
pantsman52 said:
Rest assured, we Pastafarians will work tirelessly to save you Christians and bring you into the noodley appendage of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

You guys should start thread requesting a new faith icon. ;)

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Chosen One said:
Just because I few Rabis want to keep their little fiefdoms going- we should let the whole race go unsaved? I think not. God wants them to be saved too.

But maybe not as Catholics?

Ya know, as a counter measure, maybe Muslims or Jews should make concerted efford to win over Catholics to their believes? How would you like that?:doh:

Upvote 0

Kelly

Dungeon Master
Mar 20, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟16,834.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Dale said:
Theologians such as Vatican spokesman Cardinal Walter Kasper consider any attempt to convert Jews inappropriate and unnecessary, we are told. Others, such as Carinal Avery Dulles, say that an invitation to convert is allowed, even though the Vatican frowns on proselytizing.
The story is in the Jerusalem Post for October 27,2005

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1129540615752&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

While I have issue with the word "unnecessary" the entire world has ears and those who wish to hear can do so. I find it odd that the Vatican needs to make a statement like this. There are those that believe that Christians are to go to the Jews first, THEN the gentiles.

Personally, I think that Jews and Christians should be united.

Upvote 0
C

chokmah

Chosen One said:
Ever seen a Jewish evangelization session at a school or any where else?

Didn't think so.

In this regard, it might be beneficial to follow that old Jewish idiom, "Do not do unto others what you would not have done to you". ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Christians are called upon to evangelize. To say they should not is to say they should not be Christians.

This could be flipped around. Christisans are doing exactly what liberals such as Alan Dershowitz say we all should do: Be inclusive. Reach out. Welcome others in. Don't disciminate.

Anyone can join the faith. Don't have money? No problem. Led a less than perfect life? No problem. Parents of another faith? No problem. The parents of Cardinal Francis Arinze were animists. That didn't preclude him from rising to the top level of the Catholic church and being considered for the Papacy. The son of Nigerian animists, no matter how sincere his conversion was and how talented he might be, would have a tough time becoming a top Rabbi in Israel.

Dershowitz, despite his call for everyone else to be inclusive, excludes most of humanity. He wrote a book fretting over Jews marrying non-Jews. Those who cast stones at Christians for wanting to share and include should look at their own practices and see how tolerant of others and inclusive they are.

Upvote 0
C

chokmah

Voegelin said:
Christians are called upon to evangelize. To say they should not is to say they should not be Christians.

I'm sorry, but this is their problem; not anyone else's.

V said:
Anyone can join the faith. Don't have money? No problem. Led a less than perfect life? No problem. Parents of another faith? No problem. The parents of Cardinal Francis Arinze were animists. That didn't preclude him from rising to the top level of the Catholic church and being considered for the Papacy. The son of Nigerian animists, no matter how sincere his conversion was and how talented he might be, would have a tough time becoming a top Rabbi in Israel.

If his parents were animists in Nigeria, then what would lead you to believe he was even Jewish that he would want to be a Rabbi? Or is this just a slight against Judaism in some manner?

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin in post #5:
<< The Jerusalem Post is not the best source for accurate information regarding polices of The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. >>

The Vatican is very bad source of information about what's going on in the Catholic Church.

I think the Jerusalem Post got most of their information in this story from the [American] Associated Press.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Voegelin in post #12:
<< Christians are called upon to evangelize. To say they should not is to say they should not be Christians. >>

Does this mean that you disagree with the Nostra Aetate document that came out of Vatican II?

From the story referred to in the OP:
"The Nostra Aetate was one of the key documents to emerge from the 1962-65 Second Vatican Council meeting of Catholics and clergy that modernized the Catholic Church. "

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Chokmah in post #10:
<< Ever seen a Jewish evangelization session at a school or any where else?

Didn't think so.

In this regard, it might be beneficial to follow that old Jewish idiom, "Do not do unto others what you would not have done to you".
;) >>

Secular Jews and Jewish intellectuals are constantly hacking away at the foundations of religion and promoting irreligious attitudes. No, they don't convert people to Judaism, but they promote anything-but-Christianity.

Upvote 0
C

chokmah

Dale said:
Secular Jews and Jewish intellectuals are constantly hacking away at the foundations of religion and promoting irreligious attitudes. No, they don't convert people to Judaism, but they promote anything-but-Christianity.

Which still isn't evangelism.

I have an Orthodox friend who puts it in a phrase like this when Christians try to evanglize him:

"Why do you want to kill my soul?"

I would say that is pretty much right to the point; yet, I bet it's something that no Christian has ever given two moments of thought to.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟657,808.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Chokmah in post #18:
<<
Which still isn't evangelism.
>>

I don't agree. It is anti-religious evangelism.

<<
I have an Orthodox friend who puts it in a phrase like this when Christians try to evanglize him:

"Why do you want to kill my soul?"
>>

Christians would do well to ask the same question of Jews who undermine Christianity. The result is not a world more friendly to Judaism, but one more hostile to religion.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dale said:

That is the truth of all this. Those complaining are not concerned about conversion. If they were, they would complain about secularism and other isms drawing Jews away from their faith. Far more Jews become secular humanists, New Agers, marxists of various sorts and atheists than become Catholics or Southern Baptists. Ever hear a Rabbi complain that Michael Newdow and George Soros are influencing Jews to become atheists? I haven't.

Just another attack on the faith. Leo Pfeiffer and the AJCongress filed the most critical lawsuits which pushed Christainity out of the public square. This is the follow up. First make the faith a private matter and then push the notion that it is morally wrong for Christians to convert others.

"The revolutionary proletariat will succeed in making religion a really private affair--Lenin

Activities of state and of other public social institutions are not accompanied by any religious rituals or ceremonies. . . The free conduct of religious rituals is guaranteed insofar as they do not disrupt social order and are not accompanied by the infringement of the rights of citizens of the Soviet Republic . . .The teaching of religious subjects is not permitted in all state and public institutions as well as in private teaching institutions . . .--Soviet Constitution

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.