“I think we should throw those books in a fire,” [Spotsylvania school board member] Abuismail said

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
RIght for the people who can provide their kids a quality home school education. Many parents have to work and can't spend 6 hours a day teaching. Just as many wouldn't even know how to go about it.

...which falls under the "how" part of it: if you have the means and the time to do it right, wonderful!

I'm talking about nationally, you can't beat the public school system when it comes to leveling the playing field. On an individual level homeschooling could be ideal especially in this new work-from-home job environment.

Correct -- we need to remember that the goal of public education is to prepare children to become useful members of society... in this case, the workforce.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,734,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
RIght for the people who can provide their kids a quality home school education. Many parents have to work and can't spend 6 hours a day teaching. Just as many wouldn't even know how to go about it.

I'm talking about nationally, you can't beat the public school system when it comes to leveling the playing field. On an individual level homeschooling could be ideal especially in this new work-from-home job environment.
Funny how some parents figure it out.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟736,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Funny how some parents figure it out.
More than some do, many work it out and many are able to do very advanced work leading to early entry into college. What I am saying is that if homeschooling was the national system, a large percentage of parents would NOT work it out leaving us with a massive number of uneducated or undereducated citizens.

Do you agree or disagree?

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟736,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Don’t feel bad for not understanding this, in my experience Christians that are empathetic are empathetic in-spite of their religion, not because of it. I’ve found that Christianity is actually really bad at teaching empathy.

I would say that is more often with evangelical and conservative Christianity. Many of us care about the greater good more than isolating ourselves and cutting off all outside influence.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,734,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
More than some do, many work it out and many are able to do very advanced work leading to early entry into college. What I am saying is that if homeschooling was the national system, a large percentage of parents would NOT work it out leaving us with a massive number of uneducated or undereducated citizens.

Do you agree or disagree?
There’s no national system now. Why would homeschooling be a national system?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟736,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We have a nation full of state-sponsored education. Feds fund a portion of local schools. Stats set the standards.

Would you rather every day uneducated and undereducated people do most of the educating of American citizens?

If you eliminate public education our country would rely upon homeschooling. That would make homeschooling our national education system which is vastly inferior to public education. Do you not want the poor and uneducated to have a chance at a quality education or only the ones that can afford an education deserve one?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,734,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We have a nation full of state-sponsored education. Feds fund a portion of local schools. Stats set the standards.

Would you rather every day uneducated and undereducated people do most of the educating of American citizens?

If you eliminate public education our country would rely upon homeschooling. That would make homeschooling our national education system which is vastly inferior to public education. Do you not want the poor and uneducated to have a chance at a quality education or only the ones that can afford an education deserve one?
What’s interesting is that I keep saying one thing, and you act as if I’m saying something else. So let me know when you actually engage with my posts.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟736,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What’s interesting is that I keep saying one thing, and you act as if I’m saying something else. So let me know when you actually engage with my posts.
I just did
If we eliminate public education as you have said we should.... Do you think replacing public school with homeschool would be advantageous? That is what your posts seem to have determined.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,734,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I just did

If we eliminate public education as you have said we should.... Do you think replacing public school with homeschool would be advantageous? That is what your posts seem to have determined.
I don’t want it eliminated. I want it to atrophy and die.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟736,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I don’t want it eliminated. I want it to atrophy and die.
That would be the way to go. If other alternatives on the market are preferred, it would drain the population out of public education and the schools get paid based on the number of students so they would shrivel up if a better alternative were accessible and desirable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟834,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We have all seen that very few people know what CRT actually is or entails. ... the product [of these laws] (indeed the intended effect) will be a chilling effect on speech in the classroom, even as almost everyone agrees that these topics in general are worthy of consideration in the classroom.

Told ya so.

Florida school district cancels professor’s civil rights lecture over critical race theory concerns
A Florida school district canceled a professor’s civil rights history seminar for teachers, citing in part concerns over “critical race theory” — even though his lecture had nothing to do with the topic.

J. Michael Butler, a history professor at Flagler College in St. Augustine, was scheduled to give a presentation Saturday to Osceola County School District teachers called “The Long Civil Rights Movement,” which postulates that the civil rights movement preceded and post-dated Martin Luther King Jr. by decades.

He said that he was shocked to learn why the seminar had been canceled through an email Wednesday but that he wasn’t surprised because educators feel increasingly intimidated over teaching about race.

Less than 24 hours before Butler was informed of the cancellation, a state Senate committee advanced legislation Tuesday at the behest of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis to block public schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” when they’re taught about race. DeSantis also wants to empower parents to sue schools that teach critical race theory.

“The victims of this censorship are history and the truth,” Butler said. “The end game is they’re going to make teaching civil rights into ‘critical race theory,’ and it’s not.”

According to an email [School Superintendent] Pace sent Wednesday to “social science educators” scheduled to attend the event, a copy of which was shared by Butler and independently verified by NBC News, the school district wanted a committee to review his presentation.

“We needed an opportunity to review them prior to the training in light of the current conversations across our state and in our community about critical race theory,” she continued

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I recall seeing a post by a ninth-grader who pointed out that no society that ever supported banning or burning books was ever remembered in history as "the good guys."

Psalms 8:2, eh?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Less than 24 hours before Butler was informed of the cancellation, a state Senate committee advanced legislation Tuesday at the behest of Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis to block public schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” when they’re taught about race. DeSantis also wants to empower parents to sue schools that teach critical race theory.

Gov. DeSantis is literally outlawing "discomfort." -- that should make those holocaust lessons a lot shorter...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
FB_IMG_1643310936954.jpg

Reactions: Sif
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟834,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Tennessee school board bans Pulitzer prize-winning Holocaust novel, Maus

A Tennessee school board has banned a Pulitzer prize-winning novel from its classrooms over eight curse words and an illustration of a naked cartoon mouse.

The graphic novel, Maus: A Survivor’s Tale by New Yorker Art Spiegelman, uses hand-drawn illustrations of mice and cats to depict how the author’s parents survived Auschwitz during the Holocaust.

The graphic memoir elevated a pulp mass medium to high art when it nabbed a slew of literary awards in 1992 but appears not to have impressed educators in Mcminn county.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

A Tennessee school board has banned a Pulitzer prize-winning novel from its classrooms over eight curse words and an illustration of a naked cartoon mouse.

The graphic novel, Maus: A Survivor’s Tale by New Yorker Art Spiegelman, uses hand-drawn illustrations of mice and cats to depict how the author’s parents survived Auschwitz during the Holocaust.

The graphic memoir elevated a pulp mass medium to high art when it nabbed a slew of literary awards in 1992 but appears not to have impressed educators in Mcminn county.

I see the Holocaust is next on the forbidden list.

Makes sense -- when anti-vaxxers (or whoever) call whoever is inconveniencing them "Nazis," it must be infuriating to have educated people to refute them.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

272632765_343454327826573_8347146411506713982_n.jpg

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Opinion: The real reason some people are so afraid of 'Maus' - CNN

And while the timing of canceling "Maus" a few days before International Holocaust Remembrance Day is telling, it's also happening in the midst of a growing number of right-wing attacks on teaching history. Before this latest incident, for example, a White Tennessee mom tried to take advantage of a new law against "critical race theory," which is being used as a catchall phrase for any history that tells accurate stories of racial oppression, to try to get an autobiography of Ruby Bridges banned as "divisive." And then, earlier in January, Florida Republicans advanced a bill designed to shield students from feeling "discomfort" over race, sex and gender when learning about history (of racism, sexism and gender discrimination). The effect will be, as likely intended, to make it impossible to teach history effectively.
And that's likely the point. When we are unsettled by history, when our perceptions start to shift, that's when we're ready to learn. To outlaw discomfort in the classroom is to outlaw good teaching.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Maus is sold out on Amazon.

#1 Best Seller in Memoirs

Bannings always backfire, because America isn't totalitarian enough to follow though.

Perhaps the GOP has a solution for that?

Upvote 0