Zimmerman charged.

I

IAmCatwoman

Yep...kinda tainting the jury before the process even starts. If Martin's family is portrayed as being the All-American family, it becomes harder to fathom Martin as possibly criminal.

I don't think I will ever know what really happened that night. Right now I see a dead 17 year old and a man who appears to regret what happened and was in hiding because of threats on his life. I honestly believe jail might be the best place for him right now if the circumstances are right - he's more protected there.

I hope that no matter what the outcome, a perceived hate crime is not answered with a blatant hate crime.

More protected in jail, under the conviction of a crime against a minor?

That certainly is a flowery vision of our criminal detention system.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I bet much of this could have been avoided if that regretful man Zimmerman would have manned up and called the parents of Trayvon and expressed some condolences for killing their son. What a boy he is.

I realize you hate Zimmerman, but you really need to take the blinders off.

Can you imagine the PR nightmare that would be...the killer of their son calling them to "express condolences"??

That family HATES Zimmerman. Calling them would only inflame them.

More protected in jail, under the conviction of a crime against a minor?

That certainly is a flowery vision of our criminal detention system.

Note that I said under the right circumstances. And to be honest, it's hard to view this as a crime against a minor since Trayvon was 17 and not exactly small in stature. In a court of law 17 year olds are often tried as adults. I don't think the jail population views this the same as they would, say, a pedophile. Plus, I think you may be confusing jail with prison.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I realize you hate Zimmerman, but you really need to take the blinders off.
That is you putting your thoughts into my mouth. I wish you would not do that. If I killed another person and I believed I have no choice or thought it was an accident, I would call the family to express my condolences.

Can you imagine the PR nightmare that would be...the killer of their son calling them to "express condolences"??

That family HATES Zimmerman. Calling them would only inflame them.
Do you believe you know how everybody thinks?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
SOAD said:
That is you putting your thoughts into my mouth. I wish you would not do that. If I killed another person and I believed I have no choice or thought it was an accident, I would call the family to express my condolences.

I don't have to put words in your mouth. Your own words speak volumes.

And just because you would be comfortable doesn't mean someone else will. If you feared for your life I'm guessing you might feel differently. If you had people posting your home address, you might feel differently.

Do you believe you know how everybody thinks?

No more than you or any other person believes THEY know. But I'm also a PR person who specializes in crisis management. That might make me a bit more qualified to say how other people could react.

Upvote 0

SOAD

Why do they always send the poor? (S.O.A.D.)
Jul 20, 2006
✟7,778.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't have to put words in your mouth. Your own words speak volumes.
My words have never said that I hate Zimmerman. You are projecting your thoughts of me into this open forum. I am asking once again that you refrain from personally attacking me by saying things about me which is not true.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟512,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you regurgitate some right-wing talking points for him? We all need to hear what you have to say so we can close the thread.

I wasn't aware a concern with what the statutory law actually says was a right-wing talking points. So, is this a concession by you left-wingers do not care for the written statutory law? If so, then it is about time you made such an admission. Furthermore, it also explains why, well, a lot of your posts on legal matters do not make any sense.

Read the law. Become informed.

§ 776.032. Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force

(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.

The Florida Stand Your Ground law is attached to the Florida self-defense statute.

§ 776.012. Use of force in defense of person

However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or

(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I love how you just politicized the death of a 17 year old. Nice.
This death has been politicized long before her post, so that accusation has no merit.

I don't know about you, but I tend to believe in innocent until proven guilty.
There is really no question that Zimmerman killed an unarmed 17 year old; he is not innocent of that.

He may be judged "not guilty" but that is not the same as "innocent" (which would be if he had no part in the killing). He may be innocent of malicious intent (probably, to my mind), but he is not innocent of instigating the interaction, by his own admission - Martin was unaware of him until Zimmerman began to follow in his car. He made it worse when he got out of his car and followed him on foot and then questioned him.

He may be determined to be "not guilty" of the escalation that ended in death - I don't know the Florida laws that cover this - I think that is what the judge or jury (if it goes to trial) will be deciding.

We've got a long road ahead of us before he is proven innocent or guilty. So if he's innocent, then yes, I believe he should "get away with it" 100% because that's what the courts found. If he is found guilty, I respect the court's decision there as well, even if I may or may not agree with it.
As I said before, there really is no question of his being innocent of killing Martin; he did do it. His reasons for killing Martin may or may not make him guilty under Florida law.

In this case, they just might be enough for reasonable doubt. Two conflicting stories creates reasonable doubt. The way the media has handled this case creates reasonable doubt.
It takes more than that as actual evidence (blood, angle of bullet, gun powder, etc - which we may never know about) can often determine which conflicting story holds up and which does not.

You yourself seem to have tried and found him guilty without having all the facts. You're guilty of the very thing you're railing against.
You also seem to have made up your mind, unless I am misreading your post about how you insist on his "innocence".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
I suspect that with Florida's "Stand your ground" provision, George Zimmerman will never be held legally accountable for the death of Trayvon Martin.

As demonstrated by the OJ Simpson Case, however, American society and the "court of public opinion" has a way of imposing its own form of a "life sentence" when the justice system is perceived to have failed.

Even if found "not guilty," there is no escaping society's judgement and Zimmerman will never be able to resume living any form of a normal existance in the forseeable future. Right or wrong, Zimmerman is already doomed to spend much of his life as a "pariah" and social outcast!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect that with Florida's "Stand your ground" provision, George Zimmerman will never be held legally accountable for the death of Trayvon Martin.

As demonstrated by the OJ Simpson Case, however, American society and the "court of public opinion" has a way of imposing its own form of a "life sentence" when the justice system is perceived to have failed.

Even if found "not guilty," there is no escaping society's judgement and Zimmerman will never be able to resume living any form of a normal existance in the forseeable future. Right or wrong, Zimmerman is already doomed to spend much of his life as a "pariah" and social outcast!
I suspect there will be a movie deal down the line somewhere. It will take time but he'll get past it sooner or later

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

If I shot someone who was bashing my head into the pavement, I probably would not be "legally accountable" for that death, either.

Have you even read the prosecutor's statement of charges?

OJ Simpson got locked up for armed robbery.

I'm sure the truth will come out. The only shame here is that The Reverend Sharpton and the Reverend Jackson got involved, and their influence got an innocent man charged with something that really doesn't make sense, unless the prosecutor has evidence that she didn't show in the form she submitted.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If I shot someone who was bashing my head into the pavement, I probably would not be "legally accountable" for that death, either.

Have you even read the prosecutor's statement of charges?

OJ Simpson got locked up for armed robbery.

I'm sure the truth will come out. The only shame here is that The Reverend Sharpton and the Reverend Jackson got involved, and their influence got an innocent man charged with something that really doesn't make sense, unless the prosecutor has evidence that she didn't show in the form she submitted.
A couple of points that Dershowitz made is that it's irresponsible if she has more evidence than what she put in the Affidavit and unethical that she made no mention of Zimmerman's account of events.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My words have never said that I hate Zimmerman. You are projecting your thoughts of me into this open forum. I am asking once again that you refrain from personally attacking me by saying things about me which is not true.

My thoughts of you? I don't have "thoughts of you". You're someone on a message board that I occasionally converse with. I'm not projecting anything.

I have, however, confused you with another poster. For that I apologize.

I do still believe that the family certainly holds no love for Zimmerman, so I still do not blame him for not calling and apologizing.

Upvote 0