Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So I'm really annoyed right now. I have a sister who is a liberal and non-Christian and she sent me a video today of a YouTuber who was saying that "Sound of Freedom is a LIE" and that the movie is harmful in its portrayal of human trafficking. I'll admit that the video did make some good points about how the movie neglects to inform the audience that human trafficking often occurs to people who KNOW their trafficker (such as someone being trafficked by a relative or an intimate partner), and how the movie doesn't exactly tell people how they can help survivors by linking to charities or organizations of any sort (the movie just encourages people to buy more tickets to the movie). Even still, however, the video states that Tim Ballard (the main character of the movie) was lying about his involvement with saving children from human trafficking, that court proceedings showed that stories he told were lies, that he has ties to the Mormon church (which was like ??? okay, so what?), and other things of that nature.

I forced myself to listen to the whole video, and honestly, even IF the Youtuber is right and the story wasn't exactly based on a true story, I don't see how it's harmful that people are going to see the movie. The Youtuber calls some things about the movie a "dogwhistle" and talks about how come of the things in the movie cater to people who believe in "conspiracies", but that still doesn't change the fact that it causes people to at least begin to think and have a conversation about human trafficking.

Anyways, my sister sending that video to me made me feel like I was being talked down to and like she saw me as "dumb" for falling for a movie like this. I'm going to talk with her about the video and probably not come to any good resolutions, but the reason that I'm so upset is that the issue of human trafficking actually hits intimately close to home for me. I don't believe that I'm stupid for watching a movie like this, even if the YouTuber was right about parts of his assessment of the movie. I watched it because I wanted to support the conversation surrounding human trafficking, which is a topic I've never felt brave enough to bring into casual conversation before.

This is the video my sister sent me. Hope it's okay for me to share it here:

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do think she has your best interests at heart because of how this tragic problem has been used by dangerous organizations to manipulate good people like you into signing on to their ideas.
I went with friends, but all of us already knew the score on Jim Caviezel and were not vulnerable to his message.

• Winner
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I do think she has your best interests at heart because of how this tragic problem has been used by dangerous organizations to manipulate good people like you into signing on to their ideas.
I went with friends, but all of us already knew the score on Jim Caviezel and were not vulnerable to his message.
Upon thinking about it further, I think you're right about that. I don't think that she sent me that video to call me stupid or anything. I'm just upset that this movie might have made me seem gullible. I don't like coming across as gullible because it's embarrassing. But I don't think she sent the video to me with malicious intent, all things considered.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that video .. "the entire movie was a fabrication (an invention; a lie). As a minster of the gospel of Jesus Christ the things you see hear.. always look into who in some video they are how would they know.

Fantine I have no clue what this means "but all of us already knew the score on Jim Caviezel and were not vulnerable to his message."

I have heard him speak many times he believes in Jesus Christ that came in the flesh.. so I have never heard anyone say what you said here. Is this about the movie or something personal about the man something he said or believes? This is about the movie..

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jim Caviezel has supported conspiracy theory groups who have brainwashed innocent people by purporting to be fighting child sex trafficking.
He made a pitch after the movie, urging people to buy movie tickets for others by clicking on QR code.
I think we all realize it is possible to believe in Jesus while misinterpreting his message, as Caviezel does.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I'm really annoyed right now. I have a sister who is a liberal and non-Christian and she sent me a video today of a YouTuber who was saying that "Sound of Freedom is a LIE" and that the movie is harmful in its portrayal of human trafficking. I'll admit that the video did make some good points about how the movie neglects to inform the audience that human trafficking often occurs to people who KNOW their trafficker (such as someone being trafficked by a relative or an intimate partner), and how the movie doesn't exactly tell people how they can help survivors by linking to charities or organizations of any sort (the movie just encourages people to buy more tickets to the movie). Even still, however, the video states that Tim Ballard (the main character of the movie) was lying about his involvement with saving children from human trafficking, that court proceedings showed that stories he told were lies, that he has ties to the Mormon church (which was like ??? okay, so what?), and other things of that nature.

I forced myself to listen to the whole video, and honestly, even IF the Youtuber is right and the story wasn't exactly based on a true story, I don't see how it's harmful that people are going to see the movie. The Youtuber calls some things about the movie a "dogwhistle" and talks about how come of the things in the movie cater to people who believe in "conspiracies", but that still doesn't change the fact that it causes people to at least begin to think and have a conversation about human trafficking.

Anyways, my sister sending that video to me made me feel like I was being talked down to and like she saw me as "dumb" for falling for a movie like this. I'm going to talk with her about the video and probably not come to any good resolutions, but the reason that I'm so upset is that the issue of human trafficking actually hits intimately close to home for me. I don't believe that I'm stupid for watching a movie like this, even if the YouTuber was right about parts of his assessment of the movie. I watched it because I wanted to support the conversation surrounding human trafficking, which is a topic I've never felt brave enough to bring into casual conversation before.

This is the video my sister sent me. Hope it's okay for me to share it here:
The arguments, against the movie and it's producer, seem to be mere drivel. It's so distant from anything that can be perceived as meaningful, that my mind can't even register it if I try.

Reactions: HoneyBee
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well that video .. "the entire movie was a fabrication (an invention; a lie). As a minster of the gospel of Jesus Christ the things you see hear.. always look into who in some video they are how would they know.

Fantine I have no clue what this means "but all of us already knew the score on Jim Caviezel and were not vulnerable to his message."

I have heard him speak many times he believes in Jesus Christ that came in the flesh.. so I have never heard anyone say what you said here. Is this about the movie or something personal about the man something he said or believes? This is about the movie..

Just because somebody is a Christian is no reason they are right. All that glitters is not gold. People can also be deceived. Folks need to grow beyond the tribalism.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,971.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The arguments, against the movie and it's producer, seem to be mere drivel. It's so distant from anything that can be perceived as meaningful, that my mind can't even register it if I try.

I think the main critique is that it's a film that is inacurrate and sensationalistic. Which is hardly surprising coming out of Hollywood. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad film, but it doesn't necessarily make it a good film either.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a docudrama--the main character is real, and he has worked hard to counter sex-trafficking. The exciting jungle rescue and escape is invented, and he never killed anyone in the course of his rescues.

The big problem I see is that most sex trafficking is driven by Americans. Even when it occurs in Central or South America, it is usually Americans spiriting away children whose parents lack the resources to track them down.

And most sexual trafficking occurs with teens, many LGBT rejected by their fundamentalist parents.

If we want to combat sex trafficking--let's start here, not run off to South America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The big problem I see is that most sex trafficking is driven by Americans. Even when it occurs in Central or South America, it is usually Americans spiriting away children whose parents lack the resources to track them down.
It’s an international business, active everywhere in the world - it’s not known as “the world’s oldest profession” for nothing. It’s most notoriously institutionalized in Southeast Asia.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Hour IS AT HAND

I think the AoD is on the earth
Aug 21, 2023
Phoenix
Visit site
✟12,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jim Caviezel has supported conspiracy theory groups who have brainwashed innocent people by purporting to be fighting child sex trafficking.
He made a pitch after the movie, urging people to buy movie tickets for others by clicking on QR code.
I think we all realize it is possible to believe in Jesus while misinterpreting his message, as Caviezel does.
Just going to leave this here
f09d84c582e26fe9886b990777cf0235-jpg.335073

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums