Your top 5 (or 10 if you can'd decide) favorite saints of all time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel-A

Cedant arma togae, concedat laurea linguae
Mar 11, 2005
Paris
✟10,084.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
#1 Saint Irenaeus (and please don't believe I put him #1 because he's my patron Saint and because Irenée is my middle name)
#2 Saint Benedict (father of western monks)
#3 Saint John Maximovitch (read his life recently : extraordinary)
#4 Saint Genevieve of Paris (patron Saint of a wonderful city)
#5 Saint Gregory the Theologian (his works are a nectar)

There's a number of other cool Saints, so there's something a bit arbitrary in this top 5, so much of them could have been in this list. God be glorified in his Saints.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Annabel Lee said:
St. Alexis Toth
I read of him a few months ago and never forgot his bravery and dedication.

In the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of San Francisco, Bishop Vladimir is saying the Divine Liturgy. The choir, under my direction, is singing splendidly. In the center of the church stands a stranger. He is clean shaven, with a short military haircut. He wars a cassock, fastened with a row of buttons, and around his waist is tied a wide purple sash. He has a plump face, but with pleasant, lively features. His broad forehead, his bright eyes, that seem soft yet on fire at the same time, betoken the man's intellectualism. He stands with eyes fixed upon the painting of the Last supper, and with his palms folded in the manner of a Catholic, prays earnestly; and it seems, that he is living through a spiritual turmoil, which reflects itself upon his features. For half an hour he stands motionless, transfixed in spiritual ecstasy. All eyes are on him, but know one knows who the stranger is.

Bishop Vladimir, in all his vestments, comes forward from the altar, holding the Bible and the cross. According to Church ritual, the stranger is accepted into the Orthodox faith. In a loud voice, he renounces papism and enters the fold of the Holy Orthodox Church. At that moment his face lights up with an internal light.

This new convert was Father Alexis Toth, young, handsome, and energetic. He had journeyed from far off Minneapolis to enter the Orthodox Church, in the Russian Cathedral of San Francisco.

I was just thinking about St. Alexis of Wilkesbarre last night. You gotta love a saint who converted from being Byzantine Catholic (like me), and who lived in the same state as you do and within 150 years of your lifetime!!!

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Emmanuel-A said:
#1 Saint Irenaeus (and please don't believe I put him #1 because he's my patron Saint and because Irenée is my middle name)
#2 Saint Benedict (father of western monks)
#3 Saint John Maximovitch (read his life recently : extraordinary)
#4 Saint Genevieve of Paris (patron Saint of a wonderful city)
#5 Saint Gregory the Theologian (his works are a nectar)

There's a number of other cool Saints, so there's something a bit arbitrary in this top 5, so much of them could have been in this list. God be glorified in his Saints.

What is truly outrage is 2 of those 5 are from that area west of the Rhineland!!! :p

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Emmanuel-A said:
Yes, but if I wanted to include only Saints from the Rhineland, could I find 5 of them :p ?

I am sure I can find a bunch if I looked for German saints. Two that come to mind immediately are St. Boniface and St. Wolfgang. Now if you wanted me to name you German heresiarchs, then I could name a TON of them!

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Michael the Iconographer said:
I was just thinking about St. Alexis of Wilkesbarre last night. You gotta love a saint who converted from being Byzantine Catholic (like me), and who lived in the same state as you do and within 150 years of your lifetime!!!

Here's an odd question, can a woman use a male saint name at their Chrismation ?

Upvote 0

Greg the byzantine

have mercy on me
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2005
✟56,796.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Annabel Lee said:
Here's an odd question, can a woman use a male saint name at their Chrismation ?
Yes because in can be made into a a feminine form ie. Andrew becomes andrea, George becomes Georgia, Alexis would become Alexia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Annabel Lee said:

Yes she can, but there are often already feminine saints names of the male names. But if you have a particular devotion to said saint, I am sure your priest would let you use the feminine form and have the male saint be your patron.

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yes she can, but there are often already feminine saints names of the male names. But if you have a particular devotion to said saint, I am sure your priest would let you use the feminine form and have the male saint be your patron.

Saint Alexis seems to be the one that I'm drawn to.

Aria posted a site months ago, which included an eye witness account of Saint Alexis formal converstion in the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in San Francisco, and I've been searching for that account for days.

Found it yesterday.

I wonder what was going through his head as he made that leap? He was a stranger in a strange land but a stranger with such faith.

"He stands with eyes fixed upon the painting of the Last supper, and with his palms folded in the manner of a Catholic, prays earnestly; and it seems, that he is living through a spiritual turmoil, which reflects itself upon his features. For half an hour he stands motionless, transfixed in spiritual ecstasy. All eyes are on him, but know one knows who the stranger is."

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Annabel Lee said:
Saint Alexis seems to be the one that I'm drawn to.

Aria posted a site months ago, which included an eye witness account of Saint Alexis formal converstion in the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in San Francisco, and I've been searching for that account for days.

Found it yesterday.

I wonder what was going through his head as he made that leap? He was a stranger in a strange land but a stranger with such faith.

"He stands with eyes fixed upon the painting of the Last supper, and with his palms folded in the manner of a Catholic, prays earnestly; and it seems, that he is living through a spiritual turmoil, which reflects itself upon his features. For half an hour he stands motionless, transfixed in spiritual ecstasy. All eyes are on him, but know one knows who the stranger is."

Having made a similar leap, although not in a foreign contry and speaking a different language than the one I grew up with, I am sure it was not easy for St. Alexis and was a major test of his faith in God. St. Alexis is a great saint. PM me your address and I will send you a mounted print of the icon I wrote of him a few years back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Having made a similar leap, although not in a foreign contry and speaking a different language than the one I grew up with, I am sure it was not easy for St. Alexis and was a major test of his faith in God. St. Alexis is a great saint. PM me your address and I will send you a mounted print of the icon I wrote of him a few years back.

PM sent.

Michael, I don't quite know what to say at such a kind offer.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Annabel Lee said:
PM sent.

Michael, I don't quite know what to say at such a kind offer.

I will get it sent out in the mail to you in the morning. I have alot of things that I need to get shipped, so that will force me to get to the post office.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Vasileios said:
St. John the Theologian

St. Basil the Great
St. Seraphim of Sarov
St. Andrew Fool for Christ
St. Silhouan the Athonite
St Paul

..and if I may be allowed two non-canonized (yet) saints, Elder Porphyrios and Elder Paisios.

Is St. Andrew Fool for Christ the same St. Andrew Fool for Christ who somehow has walnuts attached to his legend? A friend of mine is itching to have me write his icon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.