Your top 5 (or 10 if you can'd decide) favorite saints of all time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasileios

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Apr 15, 2006
Crete
✟15,480.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
eoe said:
Don't you mean

------->Elder Porphyrios!!!!<---------
Actually, I do not remember right now anything about walnuts although it faintly rings a bell... But I doubt there are two St. Andrews Fools for Christ! Anything is possible I guess! I picked him because he was one of my favourites as a kid, I loved the whole story where he walks into the tavern and shares to the one person who knew about him how he visited heaven. Amazing story. His life also has some wonderful interpretations of some Psalms. Great great saint!

As for Elder Porphyrios, why eoe, I dont know what you're talking about! ;)

Why, have I mentioned a great book I discovered? Tis called Wounded by Love, The Life and Wisdom of Elder Porphyrios. Just thought I'd mention that :p

ps: my, I think I forgot to fix the quote. too late now.

Upvote 0

Elizabethcynthia32

Jul 17, 2006
Central Florida
✟7,708.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My favorite saints are:
1. St. Elizabeth the New Martyr (my patron)
2. St. Mary of Egypt
3. St. Olga
4. St. Patrick
5. St. Brendan
6. St. Nectarios (the patron of our parish)
7. St. John Maximovich
8. St. Peter the Aleut (I felt like crying when I read his story)
9. St. Herman of Alaska
10. St. Michael the Archangel
11. St. George
12. St. John of Kronstadt
13. St. Vladimir
14. St. Brigit of Kildare

I know that goes over the limit of ten, but I could probably name more than that if I really had more time to think about it.

Cynthia

Reactions: Tsarina
Upvote 0

Silentchapel

Saviour of the World, have mercy on us!
Jul 26, 2006
Belgrade, Serbia
✟9,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been going through some of these things in my head, so I wanted to ask here, since it is more or less a convinient place to ask.

Is there any sort of hierarchy among the Saints? Is there any difference if I ask for intercessions of St. George, St. John the Merciful or the Theotokos?

Second, we all know how respected the Theotokos is in Orthodoxy (and indeed, in Roman Catholicism). Remember Christ's words that St. John the Baptist is the greatest man born of a woman? Why didn't He mention His Mother? I mean, it is apparent that Theotokos is kinda tad more venerated that St. John. There are countless miraclous icons of Her. Every last stanza of canons is devoted to Her (theotokions). In our litanies, Theotokos is mentioned separately and St. John is lumped together (so to speak) with "and all the Saints." Don't get me wrong, I'm not forming some kind of "St. John Restoration Movement for Downplaying the Theotokos." I'm looking forward your thoughts about it.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟62,841.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
My favourite Saints.
In no particular order:

St. Anthony of Alexandria
St. Alexander of Alexandria
St. David of Wales
St. Constantine the Great
St. John Chrysostom

I have probably left out a few of my favourites, but these are what I could think of off the cuff.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Annabel Lee said:
Wait, I'm confused. Is this Michael?

Yep, it is me. If you have ever watched some of the repping episodes I have gone on in a day (which, I know, is impossible) you would see the humor in my title. That and how many other people in TAW do you know pass out 149 reps in one click? The costume was as close to the Mad Hatter as I could get. Ok, back to our regularly scheduled discussion of which saints TOTALLY ROCK!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.