CruciFixed

Nov 17, 2008
Akron, Ohio
✟6,816.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It is more the transformed life than the theological details and all this wasted bandwidth is simply chats about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...ever think we're missing the point?

Hey I was just wondering that this morning....

Just kidding. :holy:^_^

Upvote 0

Secundulus

Mar 24, 2007
✟14,425.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is more the transformed life than the theological details and all this wasted bandwidth is simply chats about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...ever think we're missing the point?

Hey I was just wondering that this morning....

Just kidding. :holy:^_^

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sorry Jim but theology matters. It's what makes us who we are. Our beliefs transform us.
yes, theology matters, right now not all Christians agree on theology, that means there is more then one Christian theology, only one is going to end up being right, but manny differant Christians have differant theology.
recently in OBOB someone was preaching that Calvinism just was nothing more the believing that the Bible did not contradict itself
what a joke, everybody thinks that there theology is based on a "simple reading of the Bible" EVERY CHRISTAIN thinks that about there own beliefs

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
yes, theology matters, right now not all Christians agree on theology, that means there is more then one Christian theology,

Actually, there has NEVER been a time when all Christians agreed on all matters. In fact, NO time was more diverse than the early church. This isn't even true in single denominations or congregations. The diversity of views was far greater in my Catholic parish than it is in my Lutheran congregation - probably mostly because it was far larger and more diverse in every sense.

only one is going to end up being right,

LOL, you have FAR more faith in theologians than I do!

what a joke, everybody thinks that there theology is based on a "simple reading of the Bible" EVERY CHRISTAIN thinks that about there own beliefs

I'm surprised to read that from a Catholic. Some (principly Catholics, Orthodox and Mormons) stress that their theology is NOT limited to Scripture alone but ALSO (and equally) embraces Tradition. Those 3 stress that their theology may not be clearly taught in Scripture but, they'd add, is not CONTRADICTORY to such and indeed in "implied" there because their Tradition is also from God and infallible, thus Scripture must agree with it; it's GOT to "be there", somewhere, somehow, even if purely "implied."

Thank you!

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
yes, theology matters, right now not all Christians agree on theology, that means there is more then one Christian theology, only one is going to end up being right, but manny differant Christians have differant theology.
recently in OBOB someone was preaching that Calvinism just was nothing more the believing that the Bible did not contradict itself
Calvinist don't believe in the "simple reading of the bible." They know its a systematic coherent system which is consistant and logical. A problem with every single other system of theology I have seen especially the catholic view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm surprised to read that from a Catholic. Some (principly Catholics, Orthodox and Mormons) stress that their theology is NOT limited to Scripture alone but ALSO (and equally) embraces Tradition. Those 3 stress that their theology may not be clearly taught in Scripture but, they'd add, is not CONTRADICTORY to such and indeed in "implied" there because their Tradition is also from God and infallible, thus Scripture must agree with it; it's GOT to "be there", somewhere, somehow, even if purely "implied."
I believe that the authority of the Church and the role of Sacred Tradition is clearly stated in the Bible. So, at least in my eyes lol, all the doctrines and Dogmas of the Catholic Church are Biblical insofar as Church authority and the role of ST is biblical

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:
I believe that the authority of the Church and the role of Sacred Tradition is clearly stated in the Bible. So, at least in my eyes lol, all the doctrines and Dogmas of the Catholic Church are Biblical insofar as Church authority and the role of ST is biblical

... that's pretty much what I said. IMHO, a more accurate way of expressing your view would be that all RCC theology is taught in Scripture and/or RCC Tradition. Again, I realize that the RCC teaches that its teachings are at least implied in Scripture, however. As does the EO and LDS.

Thank you for the clarification.

Pax

- Josiah

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[/COLOR]

... that's pretty much what I said. IMHO, a more accurate way of expressing your view would be that all RCC theology is taught in Scripture and/or RCC Tradition. Again, I realize that the RCC teaches that its teachings are at least implied in Scripture, however. As does the EO and LDS.

Thank you for the clarification.

Pax

- Josiah

You continue to use LDS in the same breath as RCC & EO~it isn't even 200 years old and has absolutely no history before it. If this is a backhanded way to insult the Catholic & Orthodox Church by linking it with a cult you are succeeding very well.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You continue to use LDS in the same breath as RCC & EO

Just as various Protestant denominations are spoken of in the same breath, at least in specific areas where they are the same.

If this is a backhanded way to insult the Catholic & Orthodox

It's not. It's just a statement of fact. I have NEVER said a disparaging word about the RCC, EO or LDS denominations. Any "anti" Catholicism, Orthodoxy or Mormon hatred embraced by self should not be imputed to others. If I posted that a Ford Focus and a Toyota Corrolla both had 4 wheels, it would be quite a leap to suggest that I hate Fords or Toyotas, or if one is "anti-Toyota" to impute that to me.

Back to the issue of this thread....

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just as various Protestant denominations are spoken of in the same breath, at least in specific areas where they are the same.

It's not. It's just a statement of fact. I have NEVER said a disparaging word about the RCC, EO or LDS denominations. Any "anti" Catholicism, Orthodoxy or Mormon hatred embraced by self should not be imputed to others. If I posted that a Ford Focus and a Toyota Corrolla both had 4 wheels, it would be quite a leap to suggest that I hate Fords or Toyotas, or if one is "anti-Toyota" to impute that to me.

Back to the issue of this thread....

You just did it again~associating the RCC & EO with Mormons...speaking of various Protestant denominations in same breath (Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Mennonite) is quite different than listing two ancient traditions with a modern day non-nicene cult.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You just did it again.

1. Don't impute to OTHERS any hatred or whatever you may have.

2. If I stated that Presbyterians and Lutherans both have historic roots in the Reformation, that doesn't make me "anti-Lutheran" or "anti-Presbyterian." I'm simply making a statement of fact. It's TRUE that the Toyota Corrolla and Ford Focus both have 4 wheels. There's nothing hateful or disparaging or "anti" about that - whether to Ford or to Toyota.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Don't impute to OTHERS any hatred or whatever you may have.

2. If I stated that Presbyterians and Lutherans both have historic roots in the Reformation, that doesn't make me "anti-Lutheran" or "anti-Presbyterian." I'm simply making a statement of fact. It's TRUE that the Toyota Corrolla and Ford Focus both have 4 wheels. There's nothing hateful or disparaging or "anti" about that - whether to Ford or to Toyota.

Then why not use Anglican instead of Mormon~by attaching such a non-Christian group to the RCC & EO you are openly insulting them. It would be the exact same thing as saying "Lutherans and Westboro Baptists"..

Upvote 0