U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But maybe, just maybe, her view from the vantage point of atheism is colored by the fat that the largest Protestant denomination in the country believed it did until just recently,

They believed it until recently, or just apologized for it recently? I can't speak for how her view came about, but it would be sad if it was because of that... there's just no way to justify slavery, and I think most people would agree with that.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The bible condones slavery, so you might want to rethink that. Unless you think allowing slavery is more moral (what the bible allows) than banning it (a secular ideal).
Jesus came to set the slaves free. No one else can. All men are slaves until He frees them. The bible worked with men that had what we call slavery as part of their world system. It did not advocate it.

The bible worked with some soldiers of Rome too. That does not mean that the bible condoned what the military did in many cases. (although it foretold it)

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I, like you, don't think the Bible either condones or condemns slavery. But maybe, just maybe, her view from the vantage point of atheism is colored by the fact that the largest Protestant denomination in the country believed it did until just recently, and there are fringe Evangelicals who still proclaim it, uncondemned by the rest.

The other thing to keep in mind, something I should really repent of, is that Atheists and Traditional Christians in these forums sometimes have too much fun playing reductio ad absurdum with Fundamentalists about the Bible.
I always wondered why there would be huge great cathedrals in dirt poor countries. It occurred to me that this was a church system, and that God probably thought it was ridiculous.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They knew that already, but obey the best they can anyway--as I said, not to achieve salvation, but as an act of worship.
Well, in any case they never obeyed it. Jesus never seemed to respect them as worshipers in heart either.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,673.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
That depends if the bible is right or wrong. That must first be determined. If it is right, then fallen man (humans) and whatever they might vote on/cook up/decide is right or wrong is doomed to be an ill conceived thing.

And what if it is wrong?

Merely getting a lot of wrong minded/hearted sinners to agree on something cannot help in the least.

For an atheist, it is the only way we have of telling right from wrong. As Michael Ruse says somewhere in Darwinism Defended, we have used the same brains to work out both moral principles and scientific theories. Both our morality and our science are imperfect, but by testing them and looking for their flaws and weaknesses we can learn to improve them.

So should science books!

Yes, of course they should. For once we are in complete agreement!

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Jesus came to set the slaves free. No one else can. All men are slaves until He frees them. The bible worked with men that had what we call slavery as part of their world system. It did not advocate it.

The bible worked with some soldiers of Rome too. That does not mean that the bible condoned what the military did in many cases. (although it foretold it)
There wasn't a Bible until after Rome became officially Christian.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And what if it is wrong?
Well then I guess men would be good and not sinners, and we might have you consult on what is moral.

For an atheist, it is the only way we have of telling right from wrong.
So...no way then.

As Michael Ruse says somewhere in Darwinism Defended, we have used the same brains to work out both moral principles and scientific theories.

Look where it got you!
Both our morality and our science are imperfect, but by testing them and looking for their flaws and weaknesses we can learn to improve them.
Like Greece improved, and Rome, and Germany?

Yes, of course they should. For once we are in complete agreement!

Yet science that deals in origin issues is wholly belief based.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not even going to ask. The prospect of being told that Clement of Rome had a copy of the KJV in his pocket is just too much.
Do you remember me telling Bugsy to pick a year ... any year ... and use my list to ascertain what AV was the ruling word of God during that timeframe?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Do you remember me telling Bugsy to pick a year ... any year ... and use my list to ascertain what AV was the ruling word of God during that timeframe?
You mean there was more than one? Were they in Elizabethan English too?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟453,908.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On thoughts about evolution:
The creation is always less than the creator.
Humans are unable to make something greater than themselves. How the process of evolution could have done it? zero IQ involved, no conciousness, no guidance from someone involved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Well, Jesus read Scripture before that. So did people in the old testament. The word of God was here before the new testament.

Hey hey my brother God bless you :)
So you're the famous dad. Pleasure to meet you me old china. :wave:

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This doesn’t need to be a scientific or religious dissertation, simply what you feel about the subject.

For me, I love the Bible and science, but this wondrous universe coming about spontaneously from singularity (the meaning of which I barely understand) in a big bang, without the mighty hand of God; a “single cell something” rising up from a mud hole (primordial soup of some kind) “on its own” in baron, inhospitable conditions and becoming “the common ancestor” in a linear progression to the varieties of everything on a beautifully complex earth, including man... well, just step back from all the jargon and defense for a moment and look at that picture. I know there are a lot of Christians who enjoy investigating God’s creation, I do myself (my handle is inquiring mind), but how people are completely sold on that “one in a gazillion” possibility, and at the same time regard the biblical creation by an Almighty God (however and by whatever means He desired to accomplish it) to be a fairy tale, really puzzles me.
I like your thinking. It is very practicle, non-over promoting position. A view of reality around us, and things that are puzzeling.

Upvote 0

Heissonear

Geochemist and Stratigrapher
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2011
Lake Conroe
✟179,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please don't get mark started on "Darwinism"... last thing we need is yet another rant
You speak of evolution (Darwinism) as it is factual.

Then why does the fossil record shows evolution never happened?

There are zero fossils inbetween any two different creatures showing morphological changes of one into the other

Like X to a deer, for example.

There are zero X to a Y fossil sequences.

The Tree of Life is based on conjecture not historical evidence.

Screenshot_20180414-154042.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.