Your thoughts concerning the1965 Missal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Here's a Link: http://www.coreyzelinski.8m.com/1965_Mass/

I would like to develop a discussion thread here, concerning folks' input concerning this edition of the Holy Mass in the 1965 missal. My discussion will entail as follows: Would you welcome the Holy Pontiff re-instating the 1965 Ordo Missae as a return to the Traditional and time-honored Tridentine Mass, in an effort to return to a more organic and stable venue of continuity with the Sacred Tradition of Christ's One Holy Catholic Church and in an effort towards a reconnection and encouragement of Catholics to embrace the roots of Sacred Tradition and Sanctity that now seems absent in many areas of society and some within the Holy Church? Also Are you of the opinion that this missal edition of the Holy Mass what was intended by the Holy Fathers of the Second Vatican Council? Why or Why not? Please do explain your answers! ATTENTION!: This is NOT a venue for the denunciation of the Novus Ordo Missae or the Holy Tridentine order of Mass respectively, they are both equally valid and licit forms of the Holy Mass. Their Validity in this thread is NOT up for discussion. I ask that all who may post within this thread, to please observe all forum rules, and to retain a demeanor of respect, charity, and kindness towards all posters! Thank you!

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Many people seem to have forgotten about that one. I saw a video of St. Padre Pio's last Mass, and it was the Missal he used. He faced the people (even though there was a high altar behind him) and some prayers were doen away from the altar like in the NOM, but I couldn't tell if he was speaking Latin or Italian (it seemed like Latin, but it was tough to tell.). The people vocally made the responses. It had the same "feel" as Mass under the 1962 Missal--but that may have been due to the language (I've been to Latin 1970 Ordo Masses and they have that feel too).

Overall, I can't say I really have an opinion...

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here's a Link: http://www.coreyzelinski.8m.com/1965_Mass/

I would like to develop a discussion thread here, concerning folks' input concerning this edition of the Holy Mass in the 1965 missal. My discussion will entail as follows: Would you welcome the Holy Pontiff re-instating the 1965 Ordo Missae as a return to the Traditional and time-honored Tridentine Mass, in an effort to return to a more organic and stable venue of continuity with the Sacred Tradition of Christ's One Holy Catholic Church and in an effort towards a reconnection and encouragement of Catholics to embrace the roots of Sacred Tradition and Sanctity that now seems absent in many areas of society and some within the Holy Church? Also Are you of the opinion that this missal edition of the Holy Mass what was intended by the Holy Fathers of the Second Vatican Council? Why or Why not? Please do explain your answers!

I would prefer it much more than the 1970 missal, but would prefer the 1962 missal over the 1965 missal.

Vatican II said that nothing should be omitted from the missal unless, the good of the Church required it, frankly I don't see how removing some of the things from the Missal which 1965 did was good for the Church.

ATTENTION!: This is NOT a venue for the denunciation of the Novus Ordo Missae or the Holy Tridentine order of Mass respectively, they are both equally valid and licit forms of the Holy Mass. Their Validity in this thread is NOT up for discussion. I ask that all who may post within this thread, to please observe all forum rules, and to retain a demeanor of respect, charity, and kindness towards all posters! Thank you!

While I appreciate this sentiment. I have honestly never seen anybody in this forum say anything about the validity of the different Mass.

I don't know of any sede's who contribute to these forums.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Sorry, I've been on way too many trad fora, and non-trad fora, whereby I have been in the midst of some nasty fighting amongst Catholics. I'm a very ultra-Orthodox and traditional Catholic. I personally have never been to a Tridentine Mass according to the 1962 order. I'd love for it's liberalization and pray for its restoration to almost all of the parishes within the Latin rite of Christ's Holy Catholic Church, so that all that wish to worship the Lord God in a most reverent manner and know that the mass is that "Holy Sacrifice of the Mass" that the Saints ever more exclaim, may be able to do so no matter which country or parish they be in. I am merely here putting this topic up for discussion. I wish a that either a reverent Mass according to 1962 or the 1965 were made the norm whether in Latin or in a reverent vernacular tongue ( such as the Elisabethan Dialect of speech for English speakers, language similar in manner to that of the Anglican-Use Elisabethan Style of English). It's my sincere wish that this may be readily accomplished.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I grew up with Missals. I don't believe now that God intended us to have our noses in a book during Mass, no matter when the book was written or what is contained in the pages therein.

I even belonged to one parish in another state that did away with its Missalettes. They said that people should listen to the Word being proclaimed, not follow along in missalettes.

They only passed out Music books during Mass.

Of course, not using Missals or Missalettes of any kind would solve the problem once and for all....

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I prefer the 1962 missal. This year I did a TON of research on the participation of the lay faithful in the liturgical life of the Church. It was very interesting, because it became increasingly clear to me that what we most commonly understand as "participation" is 1/3 of what it means to "fully, consciously, and actively" participate in the liturgy!

And unfortunately, the intense focus on that 1/3 has seen a great deterioration of respect and understanding.

I really think that Pope Pius XII was on the right track. He was doing wonderful things regarding the participation of the faithful. But the funny thing is... most people might look at Pope St. Pius X and scoff, but he's the one who laid the foundation for all of this to happen! He was the one who began advocating frequent communion, the singing of chant and even hymns by the congregation, etc.

If you take the time to read about this stuff, it's amazing how much more you'll appreciate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Over the past year, I've gone from nearly converting to Eastern Orthodoxy, and Anglicanism, to returning Home to Christ's One True Holy Catholic Church. Lately, My spiritual life has shifted dramatically in what, I see as a more traditionally rooted spiritual life, that which is more in line with the Tridentine Mass. So, I guess one could call me a Trad. without a trad. Mass, being as I've never been to Tridentine Mass, and all the ones nearby are too far of a drive me. So, this leaves for a lot of introspection, reflection, prayer, and reflection upon how I could encourage my parish ( Novus Ordo Missae parish, free of liturgical abuse or error) to reflect the desired Pastoral directives of the Second Vatican Council. Particular topics such as Latin Chant, an good portion of the Liturgy conducted in Latin ( such as similar or more that which is used in Ewtn's mixture of Latin & English during mass( the Novus Ordo Missae, that is), and the shifting of Mass to facing the tabernacle, aka. "Ad Orientem" if you will. All these potential possibilities could better serve to invigorate a healthier and more worshipful mass for all the faithful and to remind them of the heavenliness of the Sacred Liturgy, and that the Holy Sacrifice of God is a work of God's and not that of man . All this in an effort to not only emphasize that fact that the Holy Mass is a Holy Sacrifice unto the Lord God, but to emphasize the meeting of Earth and Heaven during the Sacred liturgy and imbuing the faithful with a sense of Awe, Love in a most profound way, in such, that many do not find in many Catholic parishes nowadays. So, now, I guess I'm in a bit of soul-searching, desiring to find a reverent mass, as such that is conducive towards instilling a remembrance of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, that currently conducted in the Vernacular, at least for myself, does not seem to have been imparted to a any serious degree. Thus, I trek onward in my sojourn of faith in search of either a TLM or Latin Novus Ordo Ad Orientem with Latin Chant, in hopes that at long last, my soul will finally be able to rest and say, this is truly the Heavenly Liturgy that is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.