Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This vide of Bp. Strickland of Tyler is a pretty good analogy about the Novus Ordo and the Vetus Ordo.

I’ve known priests who think that adding elements of the Traditional Latin Mass their celebrations of the Novus Ordo, “enriching” or “enhancing it” that they’ve really accomplished something, that they’ve solved the problem, threaded the needle, navigated the shoals. They haven’t. Sure, they’ve improved the Novus Ordo a bit. However, if you have to add elements of the TLM to the NO to make it better, why not just use the TLM and then, perhaps bring in aspects of the ars celebrandi we have learned from the Novus Ordo over the last few decades?

In my discussions with Card. Ratzinger in the early 90’s I had the sense that his desire for “mutual enrichment” aimed at, principally, bringing the Novus Ordo into line with the Roman Tradition. As the years past, I think his emphasis shifted. Rather than see the Novus Ordo as a foundation of the liturgical renewal, he came to see the TLM as the foundation. The enrichment between the two rites would take place organically but the TLM would have the logical priority. That’s how the renewal of sacred worship would take place. I think that that is also going to be how it comes about. It might not be in my lifetime, but I have an inkling that that is where things are going.

Anyway, here is Bp. Strickland in a video I picked up. UPDATE: I learned that it is from Mass Of Ages

Video below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This vide of Bp. Strickland of Tyler is a pretty good analogy about the Novus Ordo and the Vetus Ordo.

I’ve known priests who think that adding elements of the Traditional Latin Mass their celebrations of the Novus Ordo, “enriching” or “enhancing it” that they’ve really accomplished something, that they’ve solved the problem, threaded the needle, navigated the shoals. They haven’t. Sure, they’ve improved the Novus Ordo a bit. However, if you have to add elements of the TLM to the NO to make it better, why not just use the TLM and then, perhaps bring in aspects of the ars celebrandi we have learned from the Novus Ordo over the last few decades?

In my discussions with Card. Ratzinger in the early 90’s I had the sense that his desire for “mutual enrichment” aimed at, principally, bringing the Novus Ordo into line with the Roman Tradition. As the years past, I think his emphasis shifted. Rather than see the Novus Ordo as a foundation of the liturgical renewal, he came to see the TLM as the foundation. The enrichment between the two rites would take place organically but the TLM would have the logical priority. That’s how the renewal of sacred worship would take place. I think that that is also going to be how it comes about. It might not be in my lifetime, but I have an inkling that that is where things are going.

Anyway, here is Bp. Strickland in a video I picked up. UPDATE: I learned that it is from Mass Of Ages

Video below.
I had a chance to go to a TLM last Sunday. The Priest did not mumble but was mostly sub-audible. The altar boys knew the responses but everybody else was quiet. The homily was good. After Mass there were some devotions in English and the congregation was active in praying them.

I guess I think ‘active participation’ should include at least active listening. Not possible if the priest is sub-audible. Latin is easy enough but not if you can’t even make out the words.

Liturgy isn’t all about me. But not should it be without me.

The idea of a hybridization is great. But that’s not at all what pope Francis is going for.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The idea of a hybridization is great. But that’s not at all what pope Francis is going for.
(Knocks on wood) at least he hasn't turned his sights on the Ordinariate yet.

Upvote 0