Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The three grades (so to speak) of the Traditional Latin Mass (TLM) are listed in order of ascending solemnity:

Missa Privata is a “Private Mass” or a “Low Mass” in English. In this ancient Rite, a lay person will probably just hear the priest whisper the Roman Canon without a choir or any chanting. The above featured-image is me offering Holy Mass at a side altar in Portugal. Notice that I have a server in that picture, but I never have a server in my hermitage for my daily low Mass. Only two candles are lit upon the altar, whether the priest has a server or not. Of course, in a Missa Privata it is still God the Father offering Himself to God the Father (even if it’s just God and the angels with the priest.) As you will see below, the Missa Privata is a newer grade flowing from the Solemn High Mass, but not as high in solemnity. Of course, even the low Mass is over a thousand years older than the Novus Ordo. There are no “con-celebrants” in this “low Mass” or any other grade of the ancient TLM for that matter.

Missa Cantata is the “Sung Mass” in English. It is offered by only one priest (no deacon or sub-deacon) but it still has a choir, unlike the Missa Privata. It also has more servers or acolytes than a low Mass. You’ll often see this sacrifice as the main High Mass at an SSPX or FSSP parish on Sundays. Six candles are lit upon the altar. Most people think this is the “dialed-down” Solemn High Mass, but it’s actually the “dialed-up” Missa Privata as we will see in the second half of this blog from Fortescue.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: mourningdove~