Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thursday, April 2, 2020 - Scripture of the Day
Luke 6:31

12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Our life could be so different, so much richer, if we approached each interaction with each person we encounter as an interaction where we gave what we would like to receive. What a different world our world would be with this spiritual practice.

(Robin)
That was more than just one ... "scripture of the day" ...
So I'll add another:

2:3* To~no[t]-yet-a-one [thing] according-to a~vexation or an~empty-glory,
but to~one-another, yourselves~deeming with~the humble-disposition,
over-holding of~yourselves;

The participle "hEgoumenoi" yourselves~deeming {2233 V-PNP-NPM} is present, middle voiced, plural;
and from the following reflective pronoun, one can determine that it is second-person, which is why I've underlined both of these (to readily show the reader the plurality; to know that it applies to everyone).
And middle voiced means that it pertains to a personal action one does themselves, or to themselves.

The asterisk, before the verse number, indicates that there is a source text variation between the Alexandrian texts, and that of the Byzantine (this reading is based upon the Byzantine); actually there are a couple of differences, here ...a) the spelling of the Greek word "kata" (nothing of note, as either way, herein, it means "according-to" #2596 Prep)....and b) which are of more serious concern; that is,
the Alexandrian changes one word, and then inadvertently has to add a word. Where the Byzantine reads "or" {2228 PRT}, the Alexandrian changes this to "mEde" no[t]-yet {3366 CONJ-N} and subsequently has to follow-up with this cobble by inserting according-to {2596 PREP} ... that is, where the Byzantine reads ..."or an~empty-glory" ... the Alexandrian reads this as..."no[t]-yet according-to an~empty-glory"

Now does this make any difference ... I don't really know, but I'm sure that God had a particular reason for saying it the way He did ...so you tell me? Then again, we could consult that rag "The Message" and most likely find it talking about something completely different, such as "Be sure to tip your waiter well"

Philippians is one of my favorites (of the Pauline epistles),
but sadly there are far too many variants in its small number of verses ...

Summary of Philippians variations:

There are 40 verses with variations (some with multiple variations)

Word Deletions = 21

Declensions = 12

Spellings = 11

Syntax/ Verse Order/ Verse Break = 10

Different Words = 8

Word Additions = 9

Parsings = 3

Crasis = 1

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If everyone could stick to the Scripture or Scriptures given for reflection on that day it would be appreciated.

Additionally, the point here is NOT Bible Study, the point is application and personal reflection, please try to keep that in mind as well. There are many, many other threads for more in-depth study, which believe me I enjoy (went to Bible College and studied at Princeton Seminary) I love studying the Word but this thread is meant to be something much simpler and fairly brief. Long, essay-type posts or teachings are likely to drive off people who would otherwise participate in some simpler.

Thanks for understanding.

Upvote 0

Martyr's Crown

Sunflower Jewel
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
✟78,464.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thursday, April 2, 2020 - Scripture of the Day

Matthew 7:11–15 (NKJV) – Jesus speaking

11 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!

Golden Rule

Luke 6:31

12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Two Ways of Life

13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

False and True Teaching

Luke 6:43–45

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

If we want to see good things manifest in our lives, we need to ask Jesus to bring good things into our life and trust the He will do just that. He loves His children and wants only the best for us, which He understands better than we what is best – we must trust.

Our life could be so different, so much richer, if we approached each interaction with each person we encounter as an interaction where we gave what we would like to receive. What a different world our world would be with this spiritual practice.

There are not many ways to God, only one Narrow Gate, Jesus – enter therein.

Not every person who says they are of God is of God. Now more than ever we need to use spiritual discernment from the Holy Spirit to determine the Truth of man’s words.

So much food to mind.

I told my husband about the Golden Rule, how do many people can take this as it is written. An example; If someone treated you bad then they are allowed to do the same back to the person.

We should pay attention to what we do to others, and we are encouraged to do what is right and good. As Christians we are told this. Though mistakes can happen and we do also sin at times, something which we cannot avoid from happening.

Romans 12:17

"Repay no one evil for evil. regard for good things in the sight of all men."

I do find it special reading the part where Jesus said;

"If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!"

Looking at this and knowing He was speaking to more people, but it also reminds me of what He said to the rich young ruler;

Matthew 19:16-17a

"Now behold, one came and said to Him, Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”

So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God"

It is good to have in mind, also to keep one humble before God. As when we become self-righteous, we easily will lift up ourselves in pride. Which is what the world encourages us to do, whilst looking at men who feared God in the bible, Abraham mentioned once that he was just dust and ashes. Very wise, as when we think of it, it is only because of God that we live at all. We are made of dirt and go back to dirt, and how amazing He created us! And He gave us the breath of life, without it we wouldn't have functioned in any way. We would have been like lifeless clay. It is miracolous that we live at all!

God also knows that we are weak.

Psalms 103:14

"For He knows our frame;
He remembers that we are dust."

And today I reminded myself but also got affirmed by God later on;

2 Corinthians 12:9-10

And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Reactions: Reborn1977
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I told my husband about the Golden Rule, how do many people can take this as it is written. An example; If someone treated you bad then they are allowed to do the same back to the person.

It is so hard to conceive that a Christian would have a mindset where they would believe God would endorse such behavior, isn't it? Such a thing is not what God had in mind at all. We must treat each other with the same love, care, and compassion we would like to receive.

Thanks or sharing...liked it.

Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When the Lord brings someone new into our life, whether in fellowship, at Bible study, or in the workplace or neighborhood, and that person really gets under your skin, do you look for a way to avoid them, or is God working on you...

Philippians 2:13. for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.
And concluding in 3:21. who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself

(Robin)
Good morning James ... I'll have to look that saying up; the one about "under your skin" ...
Me, I get into the marrow, just a little deeper.

(Sophie)
I have a saying for you, Robin ...

(Robin)
Ahhh, Philippians ... let's see what James has given us, today.

2:13* for the God, He be the [God] in-working among with~you;
also, to~the [matter] to will, and the [matter] to in-work over the well-supposition.

3:21* Which~a [Saviour], to~the body of~the humiliation of~ours
(to~the same [body] into a~together-formed [body]),
He will refashion; ourselves~to become the body of~the glory of~Same [Saviour];
and Same [Saviour], according-to the in-working of~the [matter], to~the all [things], Himself~to empower to under-arrange unto~Himself.

We could discuss the differences, but again, I notice that both of these verses are asterisked ... Philippians does, indeed, take a beating with all these Alexandrian cobbles ... Most of our current, popular translations are Alexandrian based, by the way, which is most likely why few people ever notice the differences ... Surely the spirit will do OUR work for us.

(Sophie)
Giddy-up, to a dead horse, said Robin ...

(Robin)
Anyway, there a fine research tool available, that I think you (James), and perhaps Hark might find valuable < New Testament Greek > It gives you verse-by-verse all of the most important textual variants (alternative readings) ... That is, there's the most excellent Byzantine critical text, which you can compare with Westcot and Hort, Tischendorf, and others ... it also provides for some possible explanations for certain differences ... Program is worth it's weight in gold, but it's free ...

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

robinriley

Jun 15, 2015
Port Orchard, Washington
✟18,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If everyone could stick to the Scripture or Scriptures given for reflection on that day it would be appreciated.

Additionally, the point here is NOT Bible Study, the point is application and personal reflection, please try to keep that in mind as well. There are many, many other threads for more in-depth study, which believe me I enjoy (went to Bible College and studied at Princeton Seminary) I love studying the Word but this thread is meant to be something much simpler and fairly brief. Long, essay-type posts or teachings are likely to drive off people who would otherwise participate in some simpler.

Nope!

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
(Robin)
Good morning James ... I'll have to look that saying up; the one about "under your skin" ...
Me, I get into the marrow, just a little deeper.

(Sophie)
I have a saying for you, Robin ...

(Robin)
Ahhh, Philippians ... let's see what James has given us, today.

2:13* for the God, He be the [God] in-working among with~you;
also, to~the [matter] to will, and the [matter] to in-work over the well-supposition.

3:21* Which~a [Saviour], to~the body of~the humiliation of~ours
(to~the same [body] into a~together-formed [body]),
He will refashion; ourselves~to become the body of~the glory of~Same [Saviour];
and Same [Saviour], according-to the in-working of~the [matter], to~the all [things], Himself~to empower to under-arrange unto~Himself.

We could discuss the differences, but again, I notice that both of these verses are asterisked ... Philippians does, indeed, take a beating with all these Alexandrian cobbles ... Most of our current, popular translations are Alexandrian based, by the way, which is most likely why few people ever notice the differences ... Surely the spirit will do OUR work for us.

(Sophie)
Giddy-up, to a dead horse, said Robin ...

(Robin)
Anyway, there a fine research tool available, that I think you (James), and perhaps Hark might find valuable < New Testament Greek > It gives you verse-by-verse all of the most important textual variants (alternative readings) ... That is, there's the most excellent Byzantine critical text, which you can compare with Westcot and Hort, Tischendorf, and others ... it also provides for some possible explanations for certain differences ... Program is worth it's weight in gold, but it's free ...
Thanks for the reference!

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You can report those that don’t abide by forum rules, especially as the op of the thread. I would but for some odd reason my reporting privileges have been suspended :(

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your unwillingness to even adhere to the basic idea of what the thread was about clearly shows you have nothing to offer. I have reported your willingness to do so.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You can report those that don’t abide by forum rules, especially as the op of the thread. I would but for some odd reason my reporting privileges have been suspended :(
The op of the thread introduced the thread as a discussion of a single verse each day. Today there was four. To avoid further confusion, I will voluntarily withdraw from the thread, and as an act of grace will not report the violation of the "verse of the day" format requested by the OP, by the OP. Good Night, and Good Faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For clarity...

Your Spirit and Scripture

The Lord Jesus put on heart a few days ago to prayerfully share on a Scripture each day and ask others of you to do likewise by sharing what God speaks to your heart regarding the same portion of Scripture that day. Try to be as open and as transparent as possible. God works through transparency of spirit.

I will post new Scripture each day, along with what speaks to my heart regarding that Scripture.

Then I ask that those who desire prayerfully comment on the same Scripture as The Spirit of the Lord leads you, but only that Scripture, then the next day we will repeat the same with the new Scripture God gives me each day.

Please try to stay on topic, the specific Scripture, and please keep it simple, short, and your thought concise.

During a tough time in our world, this will be a way to connect to both God and each other daily.

Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friday, April 3, 2020 - Scripture of the Day

1 Timothy 2:1–6 (NKJV)

Pray for All Men

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

There is no doubt this is a time in our history when we need to be praying for “all” men, which in the Greek language means “whosoever - the whole:— all (manner of, means)” - all leaders all over the world. Right now they are attempting to lead our globe through the worse crisis in our lifetimes.

Refreshing to keep in mind at a time when more people seem interested in judging than praying. We, the true Christians, are not meant to bring more chaos we are meant to bring a godly consistency to other people as an example for, and out of reverence for, Christ. God wants men and women saved and now is the time to draw them to Him with how we handle this crisis gripping our globe.

Jesus is watching to see how we will respond.

Upvote 0

SunAndRain

Nov 12, 2018
US
✟38,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you for making this thread, for acting on what was put on your heart. Only a day or two ago I realized I needed to participate in something like this. Here we are.

I am also here because of the real-life example of one Christian family. Paul writes of leading a peaceable, godly life and you (Reborn 1977) write about not bringing more chaos but rather a godly consistency. That family does this, they live their beliefs.

Yesterday I saw a video clip from a speech by a president of another country. The stress all leaders are under now must be tremendous. Along with this rapid change in world circumstances comes an opportunity to reevaluate their own personal priorities and direction. I had never thought of praying for leaders of other countries.

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for making this thread, for acting on what was put on your heart. Only a day or two ago I realized I needed to participate in something like this. Here we are.

I am also here because of the real-life example of one Christian family. Paul writes of leading a peaceable, godly life and you (Reborn 1977) write about not bringing more chaos but rather a godly consistency. That family does this, they live their beliefs.

Yesterday I saw a video clip from a speech by a president of another country. The stress all leaders are under now must be tremendous. Along with this rapid change in world circumstances comes an opportunity to reevaluate their own personal priorities and direction. I had never thought of praying for leaders of other countries.

I am SO VERY glad you are here. Your kind words are a blessing to me, thank you for sharing them.

How wonderful that God placed in your path a family who could shine His Light!

I hear so much in the media that "we are in this together" but it is often with reference to the United States, however, we are ALL in this together globally. We must all be praying, thank you for your prayers SunAndRain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Friday, April 3, 2020 - Scripture of the Day

1 Timothy 2:1–6 (NKJV)

Pray for All Men

2 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

There is no doubt this is a time in our history when we need to be praying for “all” men, which in the Greek language means “whosoever - the whole:— all (manner of, means)” - all leaders all over the world. Right now they are attempting to lead our globe through the worse crisis in our lifetimes.

Refreshing to keep in mind at a time when more people seem interested in judging than praying. We, the true Christians, are not meant to bring more chaos we are meant to bring a godly consistency to other people as an example for, and out of reverence for, Christ. God wants men and women saved and now is the time to draw them to Him with how we handle this crisis gripping our globe.

Jesus is watching to see how we will respond.

The above verses are perhaps one of the best examples of what God personality is really about. If you read closely it is about not being rebellious but about living peacefully in the universe that God made.

In saying 'the universe that God made' we are recognizing that as God He made people to be in different positions, even positions of authority. If you don't like the leader put over you, like the President, Pastor, CEO, or owner of the business you work at, you can talk to the Lord about that person. He put them in charge, so shouldn't you pray for them? And if them, what about your friends, and even your enemies. And if we don't battle with flesh and blood but powers and principalities, should our prayer stop with people. Perhaps, and I understand if some might have a problem with this, still think about the possibilities if we were to praying for our real enemies like demons and those evil spirits that rebelled against God? What does praying for our enemies really mean? What does "I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, --- really mean?

What happens when we pray into God's creation?

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sunday, April 5, 2020 - Scripture of the Day

Psalm 55:3 (NKJV)

3 Because of the voice of the enemy,

Because of the oppression of the wicked;

For they bring down trouble upon me,

And in wrath they hate me.

As a person of God who loves people, it is hard to accept that there are some who will hate simply to hate. For the Christian, the actions of those motivated by the Enemy is all the more wicked and oppressive. They hate us without cause, they seek to cause us trouble without cause. And at times it can be people who we thought were our friends or at least liked us. It is in those times when we must resist the desire to retaliate and instead trust in God to take care of the issue.

Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And at times it can be people who we thought were our friends or at least liked us.

Or even, as Jesus said, "A man’s enemies will be the members of his own household," Matthew 10:36.

It is in those times when we must resist the desire to retaliate and instead trust in God to take care of the issue.
Amen. Jesus told us to love our enemies.

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked." Luke 6:35

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I remember that by battle is not with flesh and blood but with the dark forces of this world, then my enemy is not people. So if I say "some" I do not mean people but evil spirits who have influenced people. Oh - may a person has gotten caught up because "the voice of the enemy" and I do try and address that issue - both in my life and other peoples lives.

Of course I need to address it is my life first. So I try to remember to seek and listen to the voice of my Lord Jesus Christ. And then I try to address it in others by encouraging them to seek and listen to the voice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So the voice of the enemy does not mean some people, and the oppression coming from the wicked does not mean coming from people. And then I remember that while they hate me, it is really because they hated Him, My Lord Jesus Christ, first. Indeed, the only real reason people might seem to hate me is because of the enemy, evil spirits. People might not always like me. Perhaps they want what I have. People are selfish. But that is not hate. Perhaps they didn't like my message of seeking the Lord and listening to Him, but that is because they have been listening to the enemy and don't know it. They would like my message of seeking the Lord and listening to Him if they indeed were listening to Him.

I might have even made a mistake and someone feels poorly done my me. So perhaps a person might want revenge against me and hate something that I did, but even that is not really the same thing as hating me but hating the mistakes I make. If they listened to the Lord even that wouldn't be true because they would realize that they too make mistake so that we all need to be forgiving.

So - that verse to me, is all about evil spirits and their hatred for God and their influence on people who refuse to listen to the Lord.

Upvote 0