Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have good news! It turns out that I am apart of a Catholic church! When I was younger I did the RCIA process and I am still on the register of the old Catholic church that I used to go to. Sweet! Now I need to actually get back on that train and see what you do as an adult in the catholic church now that I am adult. I guess my denomination was chosen for me the whole time.
You were chosen by God in a general sense for baptism and to live out the graces you received in baptism. But Christians are made, not born, not as if you are something because you were born that way. There is predestination and calling, but yours is the option to cooperate with the graces you have been given. Freedom is in fact the ability to do the best with what you have been given, and not license to do any old thing.

If you have never been confirmed as a Catholic, you will have that to look forward to. It's often a very meaningful thing for an adult to receive this sacrament, to do so with enlightened eyes and a bit of maturity. Your baptism is already good. Live it to the fullest.

Open eyes are important. Whatever issues you had with the OPC, there are issues in the Catholic Church. We have a bit of history. And some bad people over all of those years. Bad ones even now. We can't hide from that. But there are saints, those for whom the crazy love of God has bloomed. The existence of these saints is a powerful witness. And there is a coherence of tradition and revealed faith that is substantial. Back in my salad days I was a wavering Catholic. The coherence of it all finally grabbed me. See the good. See the bad. Whitewash nothing. Decide. Jump in with both feet to be a faithful plain old fashioned Catholic. Learn some Latin if you don't already know it. Pray like a bandit. Really. Like a bandit. That's the key anyhow.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I never thought about denominations and have never spent any time exploring them as there are just too many. I did my best to piece it together on my own using mostly the Bible and prayer. So the biggest surprise of my life was to realize all my beliefs were the same as Catholics and the only conclusion I can come up with is I was always being led there by the Holy Spirit. I just in no way could have been done on my own. As a small child I always had an intense love for Mary, would always talk to Her about anything and everything in my life so I'm pretty sure that was a big part of it too. So I really do think a person can be led there with very little thought put into it.
For a while I was a wavering Catholic. I was reading a lot of Scripture. At one point I figured out if the Catholics got this one point wrong, I was leaving. I studied the Scriptures like mad on this one point, and they were actually clear. So I made up my mind. Only to discover that I had the two sides backwards. I had studied myself back into the Catholic Church. Things fell into place after that.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the Church Teaching section of Catholics Come Home. Here we will provide you with answers to your questions about Catholicism and with tools to help you explore the beautiful and timeless teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has been devoted to spreading truth since she was founded by Christ 2,000 years ago. The late Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said, “It is easy to find truth; it is hard to face it, and harder still to follow it.” Pray that Christ will lead you to find truth, and that your heart will be open to the truth wherever you may find it.

Within each topic, you will find common questions asked by Catholics and non-Catholics about certain Catholic beliefs. After reading through the explanations we have provided, take time to learn more by using the many links we have provided in each section.

FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR OBJECTIONS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT:

Your Questions About Catholicism | Catholics Come Home

so many questions. ... here is one.

The Catholic church in LATERAN IV calls for the extermination of heretics.
In the case of Saint Bartholomew's day massacre we find the Pope celebrating with a Te Deim

St. Batholomew's Day Massacre

In recent years Pope Francis apologized to the Waldenses - but the extermination decree of Lateran IV is in theory infallible since that was an ecumenical council.

Question: Doesn't that apology invalidate the Catholic doctrine on infallibility?

Question: Of all the examples in the NT where Apostles are confronting heresy and error (as in the book of Jude and 2 John..., Titus 1, 3 John, 1 Corin etc) which of those examples use the "physically exterminate heretics from your nation" solution rather than simply having a better Bible argument ?

Question: would the Catholic church consider all those kinds of "St Bartholomew's day Massacre" events of history to be "crimes against humanity" if committed today?
===============================================

Here is another one..

There were a number of times when multiple people were Pope at the same time.. at the time of Martin Luther - at one point there were 3 papal lines all setup by basically the same group of Cardinals and each Pope had a successor, and apparently they all had papal armies, appointed essentially by the same group of cardinals.

Question: What is the "objective" rule that should have been used by the Catholic church at the time so they would know not to follow those papal lines... one vs the other? How were they to know?

How does having Emperor Sigismond decide the issue affect the "successor of Peter" argument?

================================
Revoking the "Doctrine of Discovery"

The Doctrine of Discovery, 1493 | Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...7453ee-3831-11e4-a023-1d61f7f31a05_story.html

Nuns to pope: Revoke 15th-century doctrine that allows Christians to seize native land

By Renee K. Gadoua | Religion News Service

September 9, 2014

In November, Sister Maureen Fiedler hand-delivered a letter to Pope Francis’ ambassador in Washington, D.C., urging the pontiff to renounce a series of 15th-century church documents ...
a recent resolution by the Leadership Conference of Women Religious will spur the pope to repudiate the centuries-old concept known as the “Doctrine of Discovery.

When I learned about it, I was horrified,” said Fiedler. As a member of the Loretto Community, a congregation of religious women and lay people,

The Doctrine of Discovery is a series of papal bulls, or decrees, that gave Christian explorers the right to lay claim to any land that was not inhabited by Christians and was available to be “discovered.” If its inhabitants could be converted, they might be spared. If not, they could be enslaved or killed."

Question:
What would it take for the Catholic Church to declare that as a sin?

================================

In Mark 7 we find this teaching of Christ

Mark 7
7 ‘But in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who speaks evil of father or mother, is to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a man says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is to say, given to God),’ 12 you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thus invalidating the word of God by your tradition which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Question: What is the crux of the statement Christ is making there and what problem is Christ solving with his teaching? What method is He using?

For example as God He could have used the argument "you are wrong because I say so and anything I say is right.. so there... you are wrong". That would not be very compelling but He could have chosen it. So thankfully He is not using that method. What do you see as the logic/reason in his argument? what is He using according to the Catholic teaching on that principle?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
For a while I was a wavering Catholic. I was reading a lot of Scripture. At one point I figured out if the Catholics got this one point wrong, I was leaving. I studied the Scriptures like mad on this one point, and they were actually clear. So I made up my mind. Only to discover that I had the two sides backwards. I had studied myself back into the Catholic Church. Things fell into place after that.

I have had a few Catholic friends but I have not met someone who is a Catholic lay person who would characterize themselves as "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad". A number of protestants have come across to me as very devote Bible students like that - but not the Catholics I have met.

So then nice to hear about that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have had a few Catholic friends but I have not met someone who is a Catholic lay person who would characterize themselves as "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad". A number of protestants have come across to me as very devote Bible students like that - but not the Catholics I have met.

So then nice to hear about that.
Your circle of Catholic friends is a bit too small. There are lots of us who read our Bibles. It's encouraged. You might be surprised by that.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your circle of Catholic friends is a bit too small. There are lots of us who read our Bibles. It's encouraged. You might be surprised by that.

The book "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese p561
"it is surprising that more Catholics do not read the Bible regularly for their own personal enrichment and spiritual growth. It is NOT surprising that our Protestant neighbors outstrip us in the propagation of the Bible and in the use of it. For the Protestant the Bible is everything..."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is my dilemma. I'm told that Jesus started a church and people tell me that is was the Catholic church. I'm also faced with people who tell me that Catholicism does unbiblical things so I am quite unsure of what to do. I don't want to break tradition and choose a church that doesn't adhere to the Bible. So far, people tell me that the OPC church does that. It's the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. I have no clue what to believe honestly.

I have things to say about that, but this isn't the thread to say them in.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The book "The Faith Explained" by Leo Trese p561
"it is surprising that more Catholics do not read the Bible regularly for their own personal enrichment and spiritual growth. It is NOT surprising that our Protestant neighbors outstrip us in the propagation of the Bible and in the use of it. For the Protestant the Bible is everything..."
The two SDA I knew passed out tracts but didn't show any joy in God's word. None. It was a duty for them. Some quota to fulfill. Much like the Jehovah's Witnesses I met. I could hardly believe they were willing to remain in the confines of the SDA. One of them was a real anti-Catholic, but there was nothing at all compelling in his witness to faith. No evidence he read his Bible or anything else for that matter outside of required SDA readings. I find that SDAs on line are mostly about being anti-Catholic. That seems to be the sum total of their religion. Not much positive about them. I'm sure you have much to say. Is one tiny bit not anti-Catholic in slant?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The two SDA I knew passed out tracts but didn't show any joy in God's word. None.... No evidence he read his Bible or anything else for that matter..

I have no doubt that anyone can say "I met one time a member of this or that denomination that did not appear to know much at all about what the Bible says".

But when the documents from their own denomination mention the tendency among their own members not to study the Bible - then when someone outside that denomination simply comments that they find a certain degree of confirmation of their own internal statement about their own members regarding that statement - it is not entirely "unexpected". I have only mentioned the few examples I have met - but since this is inline with that the "Faith Explained" also comments on -- it is not entirely "surprising".

However as I stated I am happy to find one that says he is "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad" -- I applaud you for it ... I am not complaining at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am not complaining at all.
It looked like a complaint in the form of a complement. It was a complaint in the form of a complement. If I wanted to actually be anti-SDA I bet I could read all the SDA literature and find something that says SDA folks don't read enough of their Bible. I could then quote it to you. But I'm not interested in messing with you. I hope you are different than the couple of SDA folks I have met in 3D.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It looked like a complaint in the form of a complement. It was a complaint in the form of a complement. If I wanted to actually be anti-SDA I bet I could...

There are many ways to avoid the point. Are there many ways to demonstrate that one is "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad"?? (aside from accusing anyone who asks a question of "anti-catholic" bashing of course) -- because it is your own document that claims otherwise as the "trend". Vilifying me is not solving that.

The title of this thread is "your questions about catholicism" not "just the questions we approve of".

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There are many ways to avoid the point. Are there many ways to demonstrate that one is "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad"?? (aside from accusing anyone who asks a question of "anti-catholic" bashing of course)
You wanna come over and watch me or something? Methinks you need some sort of a demonstration that a Catholic could actually read a Bible.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You wanna come over and watch me or something? Methinks you need some sort of a demonstration that a Catholic could actually read a Bible.

It is certainly true that claiming something and demonstrating something are two different things. Suppose I wanted the goal of saying in the future "Here is what I find in the book the Faith Explained about Catholics and Bible study in general... however I met this guy one time who said he studied the scriptures like mad so there was an exception" -- I would likely get the response "what made you believe that the person who said that ... actually did it?"...

My answer would have to extend beyond "well they immediately accused me of anti-catholic bashing and claimed they could find some member of my church that did not know much about the Bible". Because the response I would likely get is "still sounds like same-old, same-old to me"

Meanwhile my actual questions on this thread are these --
Yesterday at 6:46 PM #43

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It is certainly true that claiming something and demonstrating something are two different things. Suppose I wanted the goal of saying in the future "Here is what I find in the book the Faith Explained about Catholics and Bible study in general... however I met this guy one time who said he studied the scriptures like mad so there was an exception" -- I would likely get the response "what made you believe that the person who said that ... actually did it?"...

My answer would have to extend beyond "well they immediately accused me of anti-catholic bashing and claimed they could find some member of my church that did not know much about the Bible". Because the response I would likely get is "still sounds like same-old, same-old to me"
So, you don't believe that I can or I do read my Bible. That's what your posting in this thread was all about. It doesn't fit with your SDA beliefs. OK. I can live with that. There's a guy on the internet that doesn't believe me. Oh my. Good day.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So, you don't believe that I can or I do read my Bible.

Look at "the details" in my post - I am saying I would have no way to make that claim one way or the other about you ... until you show something like evidence. I did not say I would "claim you were not accurate" just that as of now I had no evidence from you about it.

It doesn't fit with your SDA beliefs. OK. I can live with that. .

I don't have an "SDA belief" about whether you are an exception to the statement made in "The faith explained" one way or the other.

In fact I don't know that I have stated any distinctly SDA belief at all on this thread yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I have no doubt that anyone can say "I met one time a member of this or that denomination that did not appear to know much at all about what the Bible says".

But when the documents from their own denomination mention the tendency among their own members not to study the Bible - then when someone outside that denomination simply comments that they find a certain degree of confirmation of their own internal statement about their own members regarding that statement - it is not entirely "unexpected". I have only mentioned the few examples I have met - but since this is inline with that the "Faith Explained" also comments on -- it is not entirely "surprising".

However as I stated I am happy to find one that says he is "reading a lot of scriptures... and studying the scripture like mad" -- I applaud you for it ... I am not complaining at all.
I know a lot who observe at least one of the daily offices; which include Psalms and other Scripture readings. More common than you would have people believe. BTW, the set lectionairy takes Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans and some others who use it systematically through Scripture on Sundays during Mass in a 1 or a 3 year cycle depending on which one they use.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know a lot who observe at least one of the daily offices; which include Psalms and other Scripture readings. More common than you would have people believe. BTW, the set lectionairy takes Catholics, Lutherans, Anglicans and some others who use it systematically through Scripture on Sundays during Mass in a 1 or a 3 year cycle depending on which one they use.

I sometimes wonder which surprises me more - those from evangelical churches which have a proud tradition among its members of great theological and biblical literacy, yet who are quite biblically illiterate - or those from denominations (liberal, traditional, and others) which have the reputation for biblical illiteracy, yet are extremely literate when it comes to the Bible. It seems to me that I would much rather be pleasantly surprised by the latter than shocked and disappointed by the former.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Welcome to the Church Teaching section of Catholics Come Home. Here we will provide you with answers to your questions about Catholicism and with tools to help you explore the beautiful and timeless teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has been devoted to spreading truth since she was founded by Christ 2,000 years ago. The late Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said, “It is easy to find truth; it is hard to face it, and harder still to follow it.” Pray that Christ will lead you to find truth, and that your heart will be open to the truth wherever you may find it.

Within each topic, you will find common questions asked by Catholics and non-Catholics about certain Catholic beliefs. After reading through the explanations we have provided, take time to learn more by using the many links we have provided in each section.

FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR OBJECTIONS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT:

Your Questions About Catholicism | Catholics Come Home

In the Immaculate Conception doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church it states that .......
"Mary, in the first instance of her conception, by a singular privilege and grace granted by God, in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Saviour of the human race, was preserved exempt from all stain of original sin."

Immaculate, meaning "without stain," implies that Mary herself was preserved from original sin at conception, that she was born without a sin nature, and that she lived a sinless life.

Now, when there is a prolific amount of Scriptures which say that "ALL have sinned and come short of the approval of God"......How does the RCC doctrine stand as "TRUTH" when it completely contradicts the Word of God?????

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was just a leap of faith to be honest. I wanted to put my trust in God and to see where it would get me. I'm tired of staying in my comfort zone and never risking anything. I grew up going from denomination to denomination and I just wanted to cement myself with something. I went from Baptist to Presbyterian back to Baptist to a non-denominational back to a Presbyterian and I was unsatisfied. The people to those various churches are nice, no doubt, but it didn't feel like home. When I was little (maybe about 5 years old) I recalled a memory of me and my grandmother in a huge Catholic church that she still goes to and all I could remember was the big cathedral and the candles and all of the paintings and everything. There were huge banners and tapestries everywhere and it was beautiful and magnificent! I didn't know much about God at 5 years old but I knew for sure that whatever He was then He was in that church and I wanted to feel that greatness. The big organ being played, the preacher preaching, etc. That's the feeling that I thought of and I why I considered being a Catholic and why none of the other denominations really appeal to me that much. Simply stated: I'm willing to learn and be happy and I'm tired of traveling everywhere and nothing working for me. But I know Catholicism will "grab" me because my grandmother used to teach me until I moved away with my mom which is where my denomination choosing adventure began.

Likewise, my family has given me Catholic things as well. I have a chaplet of St. Jude, a couple rosaries, a catholic action Bible, and I'll have to get the book about the catechism. I've already been baptised in a southern Baptist church as well but I want to quit traveling around and stay to where I think my propor home is, and that is Catholicism.

From a historical perspective as well, much of Europe is or was at least Catholic so there's something there that is significant about Catholicism and it's attraction. I was also doing some research and my family goes back to Sweden and Norway and those countries are Catholic in which they were converted in the 11th century so that sort of felt homey to me I guess since my ancestors are from there. I also really like the Borgund Stave church which is a 11th century wooden church where they did Catholic services and it's in Norway. for the longest time I never knew that it was a Catholic church.

I'm also not the type to just pick something and stay with it, I need to look around and see what someone (my family in this case) did in the past and what they believed. I don't like to break tradition at all. So, for me, all in all, Catholicism seems like a good choice.

I do not mean to argue with you and I shall not do so. I just wonder if it concerns you at all that the Catholic church teaches so many things that ARE NOT found in the Bible?

Does that fact not bother you at all?

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I hear what you are saying. Now with all due respect to you, and I have no reason to be argumentative about what you believe as you stated that Bible Scripture cleared up your "wavering".

Now, having said that, may I just ask you where specifically in the Scriptures you studied did you find "The Assumption of Mary"

The Assumption of Mary is a Roman Catholic doctrine, and to a lesser degree, proclaimed on
November 1, 1950, in his Munificentissimus Deus. This teaching states that the "Immaculate Virgin," the mother of Jesus, "after the completion of her earthly life was assumed body and soul into the glory of Heaven."

This means that after her death, Mary was assumed into heaven, body, and soul, like Enoch and Elijah. The doctrine further states that Mary was glorified in heaven and is "exalted by the Lord as Queen over all things."

Since the originator of the thread said this was about Bible TRUTH, why do you accept this Cathodic teaching which is not found anywhere in the Bible?????

Upvote 0