Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to the Church Teaching section of Catholics Come Home. Here we will provide you with answers to your questions about Catholicism and with tools to help you explore the beautiful and timeless teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has been devoted to spreading truth since she was founded by Christ 2,000 years ago. The late Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said, “It is easy to find truth; it is hard to face it, and harder still to follow it.” Pray that Christ will lead you to find truth, and that your heart will be open to the truth wherever you may find it.

Within each topic, you will find common questions asked by Catholics and non-Catholics about certain Catholic beliefs. After reading through the explanations we have provided, take time to learn more by using the many links we have provided in each section.

FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR OBJECTIONS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT:

Your Questions About Catholicism | Catholics Come Home

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why did those good Sisters insist on using rulers on the knuckles for discipline? ;)
I’m a convert. Couldn’t tell you. But this is about the teachings of the Church. Not mean nuns. ;)

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My husband told me about some teaching nuns he thought were plain crazy. Lol! But he acknowledged the Catholic kids could be quite the handful too. He threw a nun’s watch on the school roof. He never admitted to it. :eek:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Why did those good Sisters insist on using rulers on the knuckles for discipline? ;)
I heard that the good sisters in Chicago did all sorts of nefarious things. But the sisters in my home town didn't. I was not terribly impressed by all of them as a kid, but no rulers.

Paradoxically my children had sisters at their school. Nashville Dominicans. Only a few though. And the kids all wanted to be taught by the sisters instead of the other teachers.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’m a convert. Couldn’t tell you. But this is about the teachings of the Church. Not mean nuns. ;)
I think maybe his post was a tiny bit tongue in cheek.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Michie, I know what priests and nuns are, but you guys also have men (at least in Catholic schools anyway) who refer to themselves as "brothers" (and I am not sure who/what they are or what they are supposed to do).

So, what is a Catholic "brother", and what do they normally do in church and/or in school? Also, are they paid staff, or are they volunteers? Oh, and can they marry, or are they under the same restrictions that priests and nuns are under concerning marriage?

Thanks Michie :)

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SashaMaria

He is risen! Alleluia!
Jun 23, 2018
East coast
✟193,664.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Monks and Franciscan friars are called Brothers. Many are also priests but not all are. Monks usually live in a monastery but a Franciscan friar may not.

Some well known orders of monks are Benedictines, Dominicans, Trappists and Carmelites. Each order has different missions in the Church, e.g. teachers, preachers, missionaries and those who are devoted to prayer.

Here’s a Franciscan friar’s explanation of what a monk and a friar are:

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
A 'Brother' is normally a monk, who lives in a monastery. Not working in a school etc.
Hello Lost4words, thanks, that's what I always thought too, but I've run into them a number of times in schools (there were at least three brothers working at my son's Catholic HS for instance, one, in fact, was the head of the school, and we referred to all of them as "Brother" so and so when talking to or about them).

This was an all boys Catholic HS. Perhaps the "brothers" were there instead of nuns (who seemed very involved in our all girls Catholic HS's here in town, but were no where to be found in our two all boys Catholic HS's)?

Thanks again.

--David
p.s. - our son's school was in the Marianist tradition, if that makes any difference?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Monks and Franciscan friars are called Brothers. Many are also priests but not all are. Monks usually live in a monastery but a Franciscan friar may not.

Some well known orders of monks are Benedictines, Dominicans, Trappists and Carmelites. Each order has different missions in the Church, e.g. teachers, preachers, missionaries and those who are devoted to prayer.

Here’s a Franciscan friar’s explanation of what a monk and a friar are:

Thanks SashaMaria :) And thanks for the video about monks and friars, because I was about to ask what they are too :oldthumbsup:

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - the video was surprisingly well done, interesting, very understandable and informative, and quite humorous, even for a non-Roman Catholic, non-Jedi such as myself. So again, thanks :oldthumbsup::oldthumbsup: (I've also got to add that of the many blessings that I may have considered possible for a friar to utter, "may the force be with you" was one I would have never thought of ^_^)

Last edited:
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Monks living in a monastery, as I understand it, were there first.

The Franciscans and the Dominicans (more properly known as the Order of Preachers) were established in the 1200s. They had the same lifestyle restrictions as monks (or nuns), but more of a focus on going out into the community, teaching and helping.

Any school called "St Clare's" will probably be run by Franciscans. Anything called "St Dominic's" or "St Catherine's" will be run by Dominicans.

There are many other religious orders established later.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,586,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello @Michie, I know what priests and a nuns are, but you guys also have men (at least in Catholic schools anyway) who refer to themselves as "brothers" (and I am not sure who/what they are or what they are supposed to do).

So, what is a Catholic "brother", and what do they normally do in church and/or in school? Also, are they paid staff, or are they volunteers? Oh, and can they marry, or are they under the same restrictions that priests and nuns are under concerning marriage?

Thanks Michie :)

--David
Hi David,
Looks like your question has been answered. :) I went to bed early last night.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,224,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello Lost4words, thanks, that's what I always thought too, but I've run into them a number of times in schools (there were at least three brothers working at my son's Catholic HS for instance, one, in fact, was the head of the school, and we referred to all of them as "Brother" so and so when talking to or about them).

This was an all boys Catholic HS. Perhaps the "brothers" were there instead of nuns (who seemed very involved in our all girls Catholic HS's here in town, but were no where to be found in our two all boys Catholic HS's)?

Thanks again.

--David
p.s. - our son's school was in the Marianist tradition, if that makes any difference?
Many different groupings of 'brothers' from Benedictine to Franciscan to Marist to De La Salle brothers. Some are involved in education, some are strictly monastic.

The Benedictines have been around for 1400 years, so they must be doing something right. The ones around here have a monastery and a university and a high school all at the same campus.

The De La Salle brothers ran the university where my daughter attended college. They run a local high school as well.

Education is a common endeavor for brothers, but there is another group locally whose mission is to pray in front of the abortion mill every day. So they can do many different things.

Normally a few of the brothers are also priests to serve their community.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Welcome to the Church Teaching section of Catholics Come Home. Here we will provide you with answers to your questions about Catholicism and with tools to help you explore the beautiful and timeless teachings of the Catholic Church.

The Catholic Church has been devoted to spreading truth since she was founded by Christ 2,000 years ago. The late Archbishop Fulton Sheen once said, “It is easy to find truth; it is hard to face it, and harder still to follow it.” Pray that Christ will lead you to find truth, and that your heart will be open to the truth wherever you may find it.

Within each topic, you will find common questions asked by Catholics and non-Catholics about certain Catholic beliefs. After reading through the explanations we have provided, take time to learn more by using the many links we have provided in each section.

FIND ANSWERS TO YOUR OBJECTIONS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT:

Your Questions About Catholicism | Catholics Come Home

Can you give me a rundown of the entirety of Catholicism? Up until maybe about an hour ago, I decided that I would stop being a Presbyterian protestant and go to the real church! (no offense to anyone of course who isn't Catholic.)

All I know is that Catholics have a rosary and they pray using it, sometimes they use chaplets, and they have an additional book which I think is called the catechism. Beyond that I don't know. What would you suggest to get me started on the right path to Jesus? Any books maybe perhaps? Some websites? Anything really.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Since you say you know almost nothing about Catholicism, what was it that attracted you to that church? Was it the claim about being the only true church? Or something else? Any information could make answering you faster and easier. Otherwise there are a jillion books that you might be referred to.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Since you say you know almost nothing about Catholicism, what was it that attracted you to that church? Was it the claim about being the only true church? Or something else? Any information could make answering you faster and easier. Otherwise there are a jillion books that you might be referred to.

It was just a leap of faith to be honest. I wanted to put my trust in God and to see where it would get me. I'm tired of staying in my comfort zone and never risking anything. I grew up going from denomination to denomination and I just wanted to cement myself with something. I went from Baptist to Presbyterian back to Baptist to a non-denominational back to a Presbyterian and I was unsatisfied. The people to those various churches are nice, no doubt, but it didn't feel like home. When I was little (maybe about 5 years old) I recalled a memory of me and my grandmother in a huge Catholic church that she still goes to and all I could remember was the big cathedral and the candles and all of the paintings and everything. There were huge banners and tapestries everywhere and it was beautiful and magnificent! I didn't know much about God at 5 years old but I knew for sure that whatever He was then He was in that church and I wanted to feel that greatness. The big organ being played, the preacher preaching, etc. That's the feeling that I thought of and I why I considered being a Catholic and why none of the other denominations really appeal to me that much. Simply stated: I'm willing to learn and be happy and I'm tired of traveling everywhere and nothing working for me. But I know Catholicism will "grab" me because my grandmother used to teach me until I moved away with my mom which is where my denomination choosing adventure began.

Likewise, my family has given me Catholic things as well. I have a chaplet of St. Jude, a couple rosaries, a catholic action Bible, and I'll have to get the book about the catechism. I've already been baptised in a southern Baptist church as well but I want to quit traveling around and stay to where I think my propor home is, and that is Catholicism.

From a historical perspective as well, much of Europe is or was at least Catholic so there's something there that is significant about Catholicism and it's attraction. I was also doing some research and my family goes back to Sweden and Norway and those countries are Catholic in which they were converted in the 11th century so that sort of felt homey to me I guess since my ancestors are from there. I also really like the Borgund Stave church which is a 11th century wooden church where they did Catholic services and it's in Norway. for the longest time I never knew that it was a Catholic church.

I'm also not the type to just pick something and stay with it, I need to look around and see what someone (my family in this case) did in the past and what they believed. I don't like to break tradition at all. So, for me, all in all, Catholicism seems like a good choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hello again. I appreciate that you took the time to explain all of that to us. By the way, Sweden and Norway are overwhelmingly Lutheran, not Catholic, and the state churches of both are Lutheran. But that's not counting the many Scandinavians these days who aren't really churchgoers.

So I see what you are thinking and I wouldn't want to deter you in any way from choosing the church you want to belong to.

My best advice would be to speak to the local pastor and follow his guidance. He can answer your questions and, I suppose, enroll you in one of their inquirer's classes (called "RCIA"). Having been baptized already, you would probably be received by the church, not re-baptized. Catholics don't believe in re-baptisms, but if there is any suggestion of the first baptism having been irregular, there could be a provisional baptism performed. I wouldn't think that would be the case with you, especially if you have a baptismal certificate from the SBC.

The inquirer's classes would give you an orderly approach to the beliefs, worship, history, and etc. of the Catholic Church which, in my opinion, would be much better than just going to the library or anything else that would be rather a "hit and miss" approach.

Best wishes to you on your journey!

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello again. I appreciate that you took the time to explain all of that to us. By the way, Sweden and Norway are overwhelmingly Lutheran, not Catholic, and the state churches of both are Lutheran. But that's not counting the many Scandinavians these days who aren't really churchgoers.

So I see what you are thinking and I wouldn't want to deter you in any way from choosing the church you want to belong to.

My best advice would be to speak to the local pastor and follow his guidance. He can answer your questions and, I suppose, enroll you in one of their inquirer's classes (called "RCIA"). Having been baptized already, you would probably be received by the church, not re-baptized. Catholics don't believe in re-baptisms, but if there is any suggestion of the first baptism having been irregular, there could be a provisional baptism performed. I wouldn't think that would be the case with you, especially if you have a baptismal certificate from the SBC.

The inquirer's classes would give you an orderly approach to the beliefs, worship, history, and etc. of the Catholic Church which, in my opinion, would be much better than just going to the library or anything else that would be rather a "hit and miss" approach.

Best wishes to you on your journey!

I do have a certificate from my local SBC. I have it up on my wall and I am very proud of it! Also, thank you for your reply and what I could do from here. I've heard of these RCIA classes and I'd be very interested in it. I would just need to make my way over to my local Catholic church and get into that class. I'll have to ask someone who is in the Catholic church as well and ask them how it all works since I'm pretty much a newbie to it all but I don't mind. I live to learn anyways.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,563.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A superb website for you:

Catholic Answers

Fantastic youtube channel they have too:

Catholic Answers

Finally, Steve Ray's website. Full of superb info. This guy was a massive anti Catholic and is a very well known theologian. He used to preach against Catholicism. His conversion story is awesome. He has many books, videos etc. He spent years researching Catholicism to argue against it but instead, after finding out the real truth, converted to Catholicism with his wife and family:

Defenders of the Catholic Faith | Hosted by Stephen K. Ray | Author of "St. John's Gospel", "Upon This Rock", & "Crossing the Tiber"

God bless you and protect you my friend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0