Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do have a certificate from my local SBC. I have it up on my wall and I am very proud of it! Also, thank you for your reply and what I could do from here. I've heard of these RCIA classes and I'd be very interested in it. I would just need to make my way over to my local Catholic church and get into that class. I'll have to ask someone who is in the Catholic church as well and ask them how it all works since I'm pretty much a newbie to it all but I don't mind. I live to learn anyways.
The good thing now a days is you should be able to find a local parish on line and see what the schedules are for it’s RCIA classes and who’s in charge of it with their contact information for any questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Can you give me a rundown of the entirety of Catholicism? Up until maybe about an hour ago, I decided that I would stop being a Presbyterian protestant and go to the real church! (no offense to anyone of course who isn't Catholic.)
WOW! A completer rundown. Not possible in any one post. Are you patient enough to do a lot of discussing and reading? It will be worth it.

What kind of Presbyterian were you? I know of several kinds that are actually quite different from each other. What made you decide to leave the Presbyterians behind?
All I know is that Catholics have a rosary and they pray using it, sometimes they use chaplets, and they have an additional book which I think is called the catechism. Beyond that I don't know. What would you suggest to get me started on the right path to Jesus? Any books maybe perhaps? Some websites? Anything really.
Yes we have a rosary, and there are chaplets. They have their place. Not to start there though, as we need to start with Jesus. For that we start with the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed. Look those up. You should be able to take all of the clauses of these creeds at face value. They are systematic statements of faith, in accord with Scripture, but they are not faith itself. That starts with repentance and trust in God, thankfulness to Jesus, and being tuned into the Holy Spirit. Start with those two creeds.

You mentioned the Catechism. Actually there have been several catechisms over the years, but the one worth focusing on now is called 'The Catechism of the Catholic Church'. It's available on line but I suggest you go to Goodwill and find a used copy for about $1. Read it. Read it topically or just start in on page 1. I am presuming you already have a Bible and are reading that. If not, get a Bible first. There is a new version that is quite good called the ESV, and it comes in a Catholic edition. That means it is a complete Bible. If you can't find one easily, most any Bible will do.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It was just a leap of faith to be honest. I wanted to put my trust in God and to see where it would get me. I'm tired of staying in my comfort zone and never risking anything. I grew up going from denomination to denomination and I just wanted to cement myself with something. I went from Baptist to Presbyterian back to Baptist to a non-denominational back to a Presbyterian and I was unsatisfied. The people to those various churches are nice, no doubt, but it didn't feel like home. When I was little (maybe about 5 years old) I recalled a memory of me and my grandmother in a huge Catholic church that she still goes to and all I could remember was the big cathedral and the candles and all of the paintings and everything. There were huge banners and tapestries everywhere and it was beautiful and magnificent! I didn't know much about God at 5 years old but I knew for sure that whatever He was then He was in that church and I wanted to feel that greatness. The big organ being played, the preacher preaching, etc. That's the feeling that I thought of and I why I considered being a Catholic and why none of the other denominations really appeal to me that much. Simply stated: I'm willing to learn and be happy and I'm tired of traveling everywhere and nothing working for me. But I know Catholicism will "grab" me because my grandmother used to teach me until I moved away with my mom which is where my denomination choosing adventure began.
Well put.
Likewise, my family has given me Catholic things as well. I have a chaplet of St. Jude, a couple rosaries, a catholic action Bible, and I'll have to get the book about the catechism. I've already been baptised in a southern Baptist church as well but I want to quit traveling around and stay to where I think my propor home is, and that is Catholicism.
Your Baptist baptism works in the Catholic Church too. Be thankful for the grace you have already been given in your baptism.
From a historical perspective as well, much of Europe is or was at least Catholic so there's something there that is significant about Catholicism and it's attraction. I was also doing some research and my family goes back to Sweden and Norway and those countries are Catholic in which they were converted in the 11th century so that sort of felt homey to me I guess since my ancestors are from there. I also really like the Borgund Stave church which is a 11th century wooden church where they did Catholic services and it's in Norway. for the longest time I never knew that it was a Catholic church.
There are many books by Sigrid Undset, a Nobel Laureate, about Scandinavian Catholicism in those centuries. I enjoyed reading her work.
I'm also not the type to just pick something and stay with it, I need to look around and see what someone (my family in this case) did in the past and what they believed. I don't like to break tradition at all. So, for me, all in all, Catholicism seems like a good choice.
There is a lot of depth for you to experience. Is your grandmother updated on your decision? I suspect she has been praying for you all of these years. Let her know.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I do have a certificate from my local SBC. I have it up on my wall and I am very proud of it!
Keep that certificate. You have been baptized.
Also, thank you for your reply and what I could do from here. I've heard of these RCIA classes and I'd be very interested in it. I would just need to make my way over to my local Catholic church and get into that class. I'll have to ask someone who is in the Catholic church as well and ask them how it all works since I'm pretty much a newbie to it all but I don't mind. I live to learn anyways.
That would be the approach. Seek out someone local. And if you don't get a ready answer from the first place you try, try another. Everybody is coping with Covid-19 but there should be a way. Check in here as to how things are going.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A superb website for you:

Catholic Answers

Fantastic youtube channel they have too:

Catholic Answers

Finally, Steve Ray's website. Full of superb info. This guy was a massive anti Catholic and is a very well known theologian. He used to preach against Catholicism. His conversion story is awesome. He has many books, videos etc. He spent years researching Catholicism to argue against it but instead, after finding out the real truth, converted to Catholicism with his wife and family:

Defenders of the Catholic Faith | Hosted by Stephen K. Ray | Author of "St. John's Gospel", "Upon This Rock", & "Crossing the Tiber"

God bless you and protect you my friend.
Aw sweet! Thank you! I really appreciate those links! :clap: God bless you too, friend!

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
What kind of Presbyterian were you? I know of several kinds that are actually quite different from each other. What made you decide to leave the Presbyterians behind?
I was in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. It means straight teaching presbyterian and it has nothing to do with Eastern Orthodox or any of that. Ortho means straight and dox means to teach, so straight teaching. Here is their website beliefs.

https://opc.org/beliefs.html

What made me leave was the fact that I didn't really feel at home being there. It didn't feel like it was part of something much bigger and it felt too small and I feel like the message wasn't being spread far enough and to very many people. I just felt like it was me and a few other people and I wanted there to be more and more people but it just wasn't happening. Meanwhile, the Catholic church had new people day by day so I felt like I needed to be there instead. It just feels more "right" I guess. I don't really know what the feeling is but I was attracted to that.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are many books by Sigrid Undset, a Nobel Laureate, about Scandinavian Catholicism in those centuries. I enjoyed reading her work.
Does Amazon have her books? I'd really like to buy some of them wherever they sell them. I'd like to know more about the Borgund Stave church in particular since I really like that church.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes we have a rosary, and there are chaplets. They have their place. Not to start there though, as we need to start with Jesus. For that we start with the Nicene Creed and the Apostles Creed. Look those up. You should be able to take all of the clauses of these creeds at face value. They are systematic statements of faith, in accord with Scripture, but they are not faith itself. That starts with repentance and trust in God, thankfulness to Jesus, and being tuned into the Holy Spirit. Start with those two creeds.

You mentioned the Catechism. Actually there have been several catechisms over the years, but the one worth focusing on now is called 'The Catechism of the Catholic Church'. It's available on line but I suggest you go to Goodwill and find a used copy for about $1. Read it. Read it topically or just start in on page 1. I am presuming you already have a Bible and are reading that. If not, get a Bible first. There is a new version that is quite good called the ESV, and it comes in a Catholic edition. That means it is a complete Bible. If you can't find one easily, most any Bible will do.

I have a Catholic Action bible from 1952 and that is the one that my grandparents had when they were alive. I have lots of their Catholic stuff and it was passed onto me. I don't have much but I have some of their stuff. I have 2 of their rosaries, and a cross that had 2 containers in it for wine and a bread tablet. There was a place for an extra rosary but all of that is missing out of it sadly. I just hang it on the wall.

I'll have to head over to goodwill or somewhere and for sure pick up a book on the catechism of the catholic church or at least the newest one wherever I can find it. I can get on Amazon too but I'm not sure what I can buy. Would you recommend any other books besides the catechism of the Catholic church? I love books!

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Does Amazon have her books? I'd really like to buy some of them wherever they sell them. I'd like to know more about the Borgund Stave church in particular since I really like that church.
Sigrid Undset wrote historical fiction of the family saga sort set in the middle ages in Norway. Amazon has a bunch of her works, and used bookstores will carry her works because she is a Nobel Prize winner. Here is an OK bio of her, and how she ended up Catholic: Sigrid Undset - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have a Catholic Action bible from 1952 and that is the one that my grandparents had when they were alive. I have lots of their Catholic stuff and it was passed onto me. I don't have much but I have some of their stuff. I have 2 of their rosaries, and a cross that had 2 containers in it for wine and a bread tablet. There was a place for an extra rosary but all of that is missing out of it sadly. I just hang it on the wall.

I'll have to head over to goodwill or somewhere and for sure pick up a book on the catechism of the catholic church or at least the newest one wherever I can find it. I can get on Amazon too but I'm not sure what I can buy. Would you recommend any other books besides the catechism of the Catholic church? I love books!
There are thousands of good books about the Catholic Church because there is a lot of history and a lot of depth. I'm going to recommend just one author today, Peter Kreeft. More later.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just felt like it was me and a few other people and I wanted there to be more and more people but it just wasn't happening. Meanwhile, the Catholic church had new people day by day so I felt like I needed to be there instead. It just feels more "right" I guess. I don't really know what the feeling is but I was attracted to that.
While it isn't really my business which church you join, and I do appreciate the power of tradition and size and majesty as they affect our loyalties, I'd recommend being careful about the attraction of these things.

The Orthodox Presbyterian Church is a very small church compared to the older Protestant churches--not just when compared to the Catholic Church. What's more, the Catholic Church is not the only denomination with imposing buildings and worship services. And it is losing members just as the mainline Protestant churches are.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are thousands of good books about the Catholic Church because there is a lot of history and a lot of depth. I'm going to recommend just one author today, Peter Kreeft. More later.
I'll look him up, thank you. I want to be seated very well in the catholic faith. Bless!:liturgy:

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
WOW! A completer rundown. Not possible in any one post. Are you patient enough to do a lot of discussing and reading? It will be worth it.

Reminds me of "Impossible Final Exams" Aha! Jokes > School Jokes > Impossible final exams which includes for history

History: Describe the history of the Papacy from its origins to the present day, concentrating especially, but not exclusively, on its Europe, Asia, America and Africa. Be brief, concise and specific.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey! Any update? How are you doing?
I'm doing grand! I'm stuck between Catholicism and the OPC church.

Here is my dilemma. I'm told that Jesus started a church and people tell me that is was the Catholic church. I'm also faced with people who tell me that Catholicism does unbiblical things so I am quite unsure of what to do. I don't want to break tradition and choose a church that doesn't adhere to the Bible. So far, people tell me that the OPC church does that. It's the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. I have no clue what to believe honestly.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm doing grand! I'm stuck between Catholicism and the OPC church.

Here is my dilemma. I'm told that Jesus started a church and people tell me that is was the Catholic church. I'm also faced with people who tell me that Catholicism does unbiblical things so I am quite unsure of what to do. I don't want to break tradition and choose a church that doesn't adhere to the Bible. So far, people tell me that the OPC church does that. It's the Orthodox Presbyterian Church. I have no clue what to believe honestly.
Not wanting to say anything against the OPC, of course they would say they follow the Bible.

I've felt the horns of the dilemma you are facing. There are two parts to the solution I came to.

First is that the Catholic Church can appear to be un-Biblical but I have found that to be on a superficial level only. Deeper down I have found it crazy how the deeper I have gone into Scripture the deeper the coherence between the Bible and the Catholic Church. My basic advice on that is to not take the easy answer and always be willing to dig deep. You may be pleasantly surprised.

The second part is to understand that Scripture did not fall from heaven but was written by the Church.

Protestants, if they are honest, accept the consensus on the Church Fathers on which books should be in the New Testament, They reject the consensus of those same Church Fathers on what books should be in the Old Testament. If they are honest they also would admit that they follow the Fathers on things like the Trinity. The surprising little secret is that Arius was the Sola Scriptura guy of his times, and it confirmed him in his own little heresy.

Everybody has traditions. Some have the tradition of vehemently saying they follow Scripture alone while they actually follow other things they aren't even aware of. The realistic thing is to accept that everybody follows traditions and to concentrate on which traditions actually make sense. And that gets to authority. Who has the authority to speak for the Church? Is everybody who has a Bible equal in authority? Or is it a session. whoever appointed them? Or were the Fathers right about apostolic authority?

The upshot is that the OPC is probably better than most groups. And that there is always some chaos in Catholic circles. But that tying up your raft to the barque of Peter can be the sanest, the most intellectually satisfying, and the most faithful thing to do. If you do so you will get criticism. You might even be expelled by the people you have been hanging out with. So be sure of yourself, be sure of your facts, be sure of what the Lord wants of you.

For further reading check out EWTN Global Catholic Television Network: Catholic News, TV, Radio | EWTN

Upvote 0

gentlejah

Jan 4, 2017
Ontario
✟17,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I never thought about denominations and have never spent any time exploring them as there are just too many. I did my best to piece it together on my own using mostly the Bible and prayer. So the biggest surprise of my life was to realize all my beliefs were the same as Catholics and the only conclusion I can come up with is I was always being led there by the Holy Spirit. I just in no way could have been done on my own. As a small child I always had an intense love for Mary, would always talk to Her about anything and everything in my life so I'm pretty sure that was a big part of it too. So I really do think a person can be led there with very little thought put into it.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Not wanting to say anything against the OPC, of course they would say they follow the Bible.

I've felt the horns of the dilemma you are facing. There are two parts to the solution I came to.

First is that the Catholic Church can appear to be un-Biblical but I have found that to be on a superficial level only. Deeper down I have found it crazy how the deeper I have gone into Scripture the deeper the coherence between the Bible and the Catholic Church. My basic advice on that is to not take the easy answer and always be willing to dig deep. You may be pleasantly surprised.

The second part is to understand that Scripture did not fall from heaven but was written by the Church.

Protestants, if they are honest, accept the consensus on the Church Fathers on which books should be in the New Testament, They reject the consensus of those same Church Fathers on what books should be in the Old Testament. If they are honest they also would admit that they follow the Fathers on things like the Trinity. The surprising little secret is that Arius was the Sola Scriptura guy of his times, and it confirmed him in his own little heresy.

Everybody has traditions. Some have the tradition of vehemently saying they follow Scripture alone while they actually follow other things they aren't even aware of. The realistic thing is to accept that everybody follows traditions and to concentrate on which traditions actually make sense. And that gets to authority. Who has the authority to speak for the Church? Is everybody who has a Bible equal in authority? Or is it a session. whoever appointed them? Or were the Fathers right about apostolic authority?

The upshot is that the OPC is probably better than most groups. And that there is always some chaos in Catholic circles. But that tying up your raft to the barque of Peter can be the sanest, the most intellectually satisfying, and the most faithful thing to do. If you do so you will get criticism. You might even be expelled by the people you have been hanging out with. So be sure of yourself, be sure of your facts, be sure of what the Lord wants of you.

For further reading check out EWTN Global Catholic Television Network: Catholic News, TV, Radio | EWTN
I have good news! It turns out that I am apart of a Catholic church! When I was younger I did the RCIA process and I am still on the register of the old Catholic church that I used to go to. Sweet! Now I need to actually get back on that train and see what you do as an adult in the catholic church now that I am adult. I guess my denomination was chosen for me the whole time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have good news! It turns out that I am apart of a Catholic church! When I was younger I did the RCIA process and I am still on the register of the old Catholic church that I used to go to. Sweet! Now I need to actually get back on that train and see what you do as an adult in the catholic church now that I am adult. I guess my denomination was chosen for me the whole time.
Catholics do not consider themselves a denomination but I wanted to welcome you back! :) I’m very pleased on how nice this thread turned out. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0