Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the role of church with those who have mental illness?

Should mental illness disability be seen much the same as physical disability?

How should Christians regard mental illness?

What should be expected of mentally ill Christians?

examples: ocd, bipolar, depression, schizophrenia, etc.

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the role of church with those who have mental illness? Understanding them and continually reaching out to them in love (if not personally, then certainly praying for them before God.)

Should mental illness disability be seen much the same as physical disability? Yes. Maybe. I don't know.

How should Christians regard mental illness? By educating themselves on it.

What should be expected of mentally ill Christians? Everything The Bible declares for anyon else that is born-again.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I do think mental illness can be as devastating and limiting as a physical illness.
I've not learned of a church that I felt was good at dealing with mental illness. They initially like to pray and love mentally ill people. But when they don't change often they step back from them. Its easy to understand that, as it takes a lot of time to understand what is going on. Thankfully the therapy community is making some serious progress in understand what is going on. I'm decades removed from Christian colleges so not sure if they are upto date with these things or not.
There is not one thing that can be listed as to what we can expect from them. Each illness needs a different treatment just as each physical illness needs a treatment that's specific to that illness.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do think mental illness can be as devastating and limiting as a physical illness.
I've not learned of a church that I felt was good at dealing with mental illness. They initially like to pray and love mentally ill people. But when they don't change often they step back from them. Its easy to understand that, as it takes a lot of time to understand what is going on. Thankfully the therapy community is making some serious progress in understand what is going on. I'm decades removed from Christian colleges so not sure if they are upto date with these things or not.
There is not one thing that can be listed as to what we can expect from them. Each illness needs a different treatment just as each physical illness needs a treatment that's specific to that illness.
I believe you're right about this. Qualified Christian therapists are a good bridge to help. My prayer is that God will send more workers to this particular field. I know I have understood a lot from the sessions I go to with a therapist.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's even worse when you know you have mental health problems yet they never find anything officially wrong with you.

If you are mentally ill enough to be suffering but not ill enough to fit under any disorder, yeah I can see that sucking(Still better than having a severe mental illness leaving you unable to function at all). I think these people should be given help as well. If someone doesnt fit under an exact disorder though I could see it being hard to get any treatment other than talk therapy.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you are mentally ill enough to be suffering but not ill enough to fit under any disorder, yeah I can see that sucking(Still better than having a severe mental illness leaving you unable to function at all). I think these people should be given help as well. If someone doesnt fit under an exact disorder though I could see it being hard to get any treatment other than talk therapy.

My problem is that many of my mental problems are not really in any of the "books". Closest thing I can think of is some interpretations of borderline personality disorder.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My problem is that many of my mental problems are not really in any of the "books". Closest thing I can think of is some interpretations of borderline personality disorder.

Mental illness is spread among dna in a shotgun sort of way. Some get hit really hard by it others only get the slightest touch. I don't know where you exist on this spectrum but there are always to make your life better.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think it should be seen the same as a physical disability. I have no problems with a crippled or blind man being a church elder. Those conditions will not compromise his judgment. I do have a problem with a schizophrenic or a bipolar man being a church elder. Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder could easily compromise anyone's judgment.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveDivine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it should be seen the same as a physical disability. I have no problems with a crippled or blind man being a church elder. Those conditions will not compromise his judgment. I do have a problem with a schizophrenic or a bipolar man being a church elder. Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder could easily compromise anyone's judgment.
As a person diagnosed with Schizophrenia and completely functional and capable of such functions in the church, that's pretty out dated thinking. My judgement is not compromised in any way when I'm medicated.

These sorts of things need to change in the minds of people.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As a person diagnosed with Schizophrenia and completely functional and capable of such functions in the church, that's pretty out dated thinking. My judgement is not compromised in any way when I'm medicated.

These sorts of things need to change in the minds of people.

You aren't the typical case though.

Upvote 0

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟189,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with your concerns. I would leave some room open for the possibility of certain individuals who have suffered from a mental illness being capable to fulfill the role. I think each person needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I think they would need to demonstrate a track record of sound judgment, wisdom, and impartiality over a period of time.

I would make this the criteria for any Christian (regardless of mental health issues ) who is considering the role of deacon or elder. The role of deacon or elder is very important and has a huge impact on the health of the church. Not everyone who is sincere and Godly is suited for a leadership position. It's not about being fair or inclusive. It's about what is best for the overall good of the church.

Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,594.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with your concerns. I would leave some room open for the possibility of certain individuals who have suffered from a mental illness being capable to fulfill the role. I think each person needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis. I think they would need to demonstrate a track record of sound judgment, wisdom, and impartiality over a period of time.

I would make this the criteria for any Christian (regardless of mental health issues ) who is considering the role of deacon or elder. The role of deacon or elder is very important and has a huge impact on the health of the church. Not everyone who is sincere and Godly is suited for a leadership position. It's not about being fair or inclusive. It's about what is best for the overall good of the church.
He's not saying the same thing you are. He's out right saying no schizophrenic or bipolar people.

His implications are pretty serious, are outdated, and are a cause for much stigma a person like myself faces daily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0