Your input would be valued here..

T

trentlogain2

I'm currently a temp at a company, where it's the usual workplace shenanigans. However, my immediate supervisor and I have had the opportunities to chat about church very briefly. Today he asked me if I enjoyed the service at my church house last Sunday. I told him that I did and that slightly cracked the door open to ask him if he goes to church anywhere. He began to tell me that he did and that he also used to preach. That was pretty much the extent of the conversation, as things are always in a rush there.

Please pray that I will be able to talk to him more about The Lord. I'm trying not to judge anyone but when they say that they used to preach and are no longer in church something is wrong. That's between them and God, but I've been backslid in my life and I can tell you it's no fun.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach this then please let me hear it. Thanks and God bless!

SecretAgentMan

Still Breathing
May 15, 2009
Virginia
✟7,671.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings,

The best way to approach this is have him lead you into it. Trust me, there was a time when I was going against the grain and it was eating me alive. There came a point where I finally had to tell somebody, my assumption is that this may be true with him also. As time permits he will want to share with someone (maybe you) if he can sense that you are genuine in your faith, not perfect. People want something that is real, something they can relate to. With this being stated, continue to go on as though the conversation never occurred, but continue to pray for God to dig deep into his heart and draw it out of him. If he wants to change he will come to his senses and look for an outlet. Ask God to help you be an outlet and in the mean time continue to do your job faithfully, quietly and prayerfully.

Regards,

SAM

Upvote 0

Stotheara

Mar 14, 2008
United States
Visit site
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Little conversations over time will lead to more comfortable conversations between you. I was in a similar situation and over a year, as we shared tidbits here and there, we grew to have longer conversations.

Like SecretAgentMan said, just keep the door open, listen and continue as you are doing.

Best wishes.

S

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
If he used to pastor too, that's a lot different than just standing up for an hour and delivering a sermon. It gets s-o-o-o political and a pastor is always dealing with people who have strong opinions. Some people who shoulder the burden of leadership, just decide that church ruins Christianity for them, and they need a breather.

You could compare it to going into a college program for something that is your hobby, like music or art -- it might seem dry and wearisome, or overly controlled if you had to study it in depth under other people.

Maybe he asked if you enjoyed it, because he thought it was an intriguing alternative to the politics of a large organization. Let him vent.

Upvote 0

TheBibleDude

Dan King
May 12, 2010
Sarasota, FL
Visit site
✟7,643.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think I agree with the others here when I say that the best thing is to not press it too hard, but let him share as he feels comfortable. I don't think that it would be too much to ask leading questions like, "so tell me more about your preaching days. What was that like for you?" Responses to questions like that may open the floodgates for him...

And just stay sensitive to him and the leading of the Holy Spirit to respond appropriately. I agree that it may not even be a bad thing that he's not doing it anymore.

I'll also be praying for you both!

Upvote 0