Your input on your Conservative Christianity forum!

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
i agree with the sop for this forum:

i thought the wwmc forum was for christians who don't believe this - and feel the bible is not to be taken literally

so the only comment i would make is i don't think liberal christians would agree with our sop

or am i missing something?

iow conservative christians have conservative values as per a literal translation of the bible

and are closely aligned to conservative politics as far as conservative politics uphold conservative values and a literal translation of the Bible

I agree.

• Winner
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I understand myself to be a Conservative Christian, however I have come to realise that I do not fall under everyone's definition of a Conservative Christian. I don't know how we exactly form the position, I would take Scripture (with allowance for the deutero canonical texts) - Sacraments (2 minimum) - Nicene Creed (1st Council of Constantinople - +/- filioque) as givens and I would also normally include the historic episcopate yet understand there is a need for some latitude there.

I think that the area gets plagued when we then push our barrows through this in terms of how we are to receive scripture, what it is we understand about the sacraments, and the meaning of terms within the Nicene Creed.

We live in an age where we all seem to be stretching the tent-cloth of the Church to such extremes as it can not help but fail. We do need to keep it stretched and tight to keep us all dry, but not so severely that we tear the fabric, and somehow protect it from those running around with blades seeing what damage they can do.

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I really think most of these safe houses ought to be done away with. There should be certain restrictions, of course, such as the "Christians Only" provisions where appropriate, but as far as this one goes, a major problem is that even if it is made clear that Conservative isn't referring to politics, two other issues confuse things.

1. Religious values tend to cause people to choose up sides when it comes to politics. So, for instance, abortion and peace issues are political matters but are fueled by one's religious perspectives.

2. No one can be sure what theological conservatism is, anyway. Is it Evangelical Protestantism, or traditionalist Catholicism, or both, or is it Fundamentalism, or are some of these opposed to some of the others? This came up in post 13. And what about specific controversies like the verbal inspiration of the Bible or charismatic worship? Are those non-traditional? In addition, the SOP is very much a "bare bones" kind of statement.

After all is said and done, I wish that the Conservative Christianity forum, the Liberal one (WWMC) and the Moderate Christians one (Bridge Builders) were all eliminated.

All of these date back to a time when a reorganization of CF was being done and people were afraid that 'the other guys' would get their own forums while they (whomever that was) would be left out. So everyone was accommodated, but not to any really good end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I really see there might be more clarity in calling this Conservative Christianity:)

It was a good suggestion....Thoughts?
That would be fine as far as I'm concerned. (But, again, I can't say I think it's actually necessary in the first place.)

To the point that some thought this was for political conservatives - look, it's in the "Congregation" section, under "Faith Groups". Does that not already indicate a group being of a more theological sense than a political one? To me, just seems kinda obvious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I really think most of these safe houses ought to be done away with. There should be certain restrictions, of course, such as the "Christians Only" provisions where appropriate, but as far as this one goes, a major problem is that even if it is made clear that Conservative isn't referring to politics, two other issues confuse things.

1. Religious values tend to cause people to choose up sides when it comes to politics. So, for instance, abortion and peace issues are political matters but are fueled by one's religious perspectives.

2. No one can be sure what theological conservatism is, anyway. Is it Evangelical Protestantism, or traditionalist Catholicism, or both, or is it Fundamentalism, or are some of these opposed to some of the others? This came up in post 13. And what about specific controversies like the verbal inspiration of the Bible or charismatic worship? Are those non-traditional? In addition, the SOP is very much a "bare bones" kind of statement.

After all is said and done, I wish that the Conservative Christianity forum, the Liberal one (WWMC) and the Moderate Christians one (Bridge Builders) were all eliminated.

All of these date back to a time when a reorganization of CF was being done and people were afraid that 'the other guys' would get their own forums while they (whomever that was) would be left out. So everyone was accommodated, but not to any really good end.
looking at the wwmc forum and this one - it does allow each group to discuss their christian theology and their politics without having to debate with outsiders

it really is the only place to have a decent friendly political and theological conversation

imo it would be a great loss if the 2 forums were removed

if anything the 2 forums should be promoted so that more members can find a safe house

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We have so many safe houses now (not just these two) that we are getting close to having almost no forums where real discussion occurs. I used to exchange ideas with people of other beliefs, but I haven't seen some of them in years. They are safe in the company of people who will just agree with every idea they post.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see the listing is still at Conservative, so maybe that is good enough; though I kind of think Moderate Christians might be more what I see in the ministry there. The church groups I usually see that fits there are quite social with liberal views of Christianity; and seemingly between the so-called High/Ritualistic church groups and the Fundamentalists. Anyway, they clearly don't seem to be Bible-only .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm really not sure what you are telling us in that post--which probably owes to this thread having been dead for quite a while. But the Conservative Christianity forum has always been somewhat vaguely defined. It was supposed to be the safe house for standard, traditional believers, either Catholic or Protestant, Fundamentalist or Ritualist, as an alternative to the safe houses that were at that time being set up for a variety of special-interest Christian groups, usually ones that departed from historic Christian norms in one way or another. About all you can do at this time is be guided by this forum's SOP.

• Agree
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Th
If you click on the forum itself, you'll get a list of threads, but at the top in a kind of gold color are some messages from management including the statement.
thank you!

Upvote 0