razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If it's always the people who ate pork who got sick, then it will be easy to figure out.

Geez, you must think that the people back then were really dumb.

"Gee, Tom, Dick and Harry all got sick. I wonder if there's anything they have in common? Well, they were all at the meal three days ago, and they had pork. Is there anyone who had the pork and didn't get sick? No? Everyone who had the pork at the meal is sick now?

That's simply not the way things worked. And ... hermeneutics would tell you that. And just common sense would tell you, they don't work that way today either.

But yeah, you're right. Anyone who was ever oppressed or subjugated never felt the need to overplay what was done. They never made their oppressors seem worse. Nah, they all told the absolute truth...

Strawman. Your allegation was that the Hebrews did this. I accept your defeat that you cannot substantiate this, cuz you were just talking through your hat.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaSun

Feb 24, 2011
✟2,613.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
With no sweat glands. Toxins build up.
It's not toxins that make humans sick when eating under cooked pork, but these guys;

digest10.jpg

Upvote 0

sandwiches

Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.
Jun 16, 2009
Dallas, Texas
✟22,030.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's simply not the way things worked. And ... hermeneutics would tell you that. And just common sense would tell you, they don't work that way today either.
Not hermeneutics. Anthropology will tell you why they probably didn't eat pigs. Hermeneutics only incorporates this knowledge to try to understand the texts. Nothing magical about knowing not to eat pigs. Animal husbandry and farming had been around for a while and humans were quite adept at the time at figuring out even which parts of the animals to eat and which not to eat. However, even without the possibility of disease, there's other reasons why they might not have raised them including economical or due to perceived hierarchies. Again, all of which were issues the people at the time were aware of and required no magical or divine knowledge.

Strawman. Your allegation was that the Hebrews did this. I accept your defeat that you cannot substantiate this, cuz you were just talking through your hat.
One example is the entire Jewish ethnicity and culture being enslaved by Egyptian. Not true. Not only is there no evidence of this ever happening, there's evidence of Israel arising indigenously is pretty much a open and shut case.

Upvote 0

MostlyLurking

May 18, 2012
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by AV1611VET
viewpost.gif
http://www.christianforums.com/t7616523-3/#post59950978
Just don't call what mathetes believes "religion", and what you believe "science", and expect us to fall for it.

Actually, that was *your* way. Was that not cricket?

Is not what mathetes believes "religion"?

Somehow, somebody misled AV1611VET into thinking that the world's scientific community cares that he refuses to recognize that science is indeed science.

Remember, this is the same guy who claims that "Science can take a hike" and "Evidence can take a hike"----and yet he thinks we should be impressed when he refuses to recognize science when he sees it.

As the truism says, "Consider the source."

Is not what mathetes believes "religion"?

Yes, I've often found it interesting that someone who embraces a religion then turns around and uses the word "religion" as an epithet against somebody else!

Of course, some of my Christian brethren have the ability to say with a straight face: "Christianity is not a religion", even the Book of James describes "religion, pure and undefiled."

Upvote 0

MostlyLurking

May 18, 2012
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always thought it quaint that many people still think we sweat out toxins. It's the principle behind some "health" spas, that you sweat out the bad stuff.

Yes, whenever one sees the word "de-toxify" on a website, you can bet that you are dealing with quackery.

Upvote 0

MostlyLurking

May 18, 2012
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some variations do affect theological issues like (the comma Johanneum) that echo’s the Trinity. This corruption dates from the 10th century and shows up in four manuscripts. The variation is universally acknowledged to be errant.

And yet Good Brother uses the Comma Johanneum in his signature!

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One example is the entire Jewish ethnicity and culture being enslaved by Egyptian. Not true. Not only is there no evidence of this ever happening, there's evidence of Israel arising indigenously is pretty much a open and shut case.

Two, two, two red herrings in one!

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Of course, some of my Christian brethren have the ability to say with a straight face: "Christianity is not a religion", even the Book of James describes "religion, pure and undefiled."

And that is the ONLY positive mention of religion in the entire Bible, with every other mention being a negative! Since "religion" isn't used or thought of today as being nothing more and nothing less than visiting the widow and the orphan in their affliction, and keeping oneself spotted from the world -

you have an impossible task of defending what you say here.

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
And that is the ONLY positive mention of religion in the entire Bible, with every other mention being a negative! Since "religion" isn't used or thought of today as being nothing more and nothing less than visiting the widow and the orphan in their affliction, and keeping oneself spotted from the world -

you have an impossible task of defending what you say here.

Christianity is a religion. This is an evidence fact to everyone with an english dictionary and the will to use it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christianity is a religion. This is an evidence fact to everyone with an english dictionary and the will to use it.

You and your "evidence fact" don't seem in a very good position to pretend to teach anybody anything from here

Upvote 0

MostlyLurking

May 18, 2012
✟290.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your use of the Equivocation Fallacy is NOT quaint.

We were talking about body toxins. Drug detox is the process of controlled and monitored withdrawal from DRUGS, not body toxins.

Considering that you like to cite dictionaries:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_detoxification
Drug Detoxification: processes to reduce or relieve withdrawal symptoms in drug addicted individuals.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You still said this:

Yes, whenever one sees the word "de-toxify" on a website, you can bet that you are dealing with quackery.

Which indicates that your comment really had no merit, and didn't account for how the word de-tox is used, except for one very limited way. And my point is there are other ways, too; making your quoted statement here not so true as you would like to think.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You still said this:
Which indicates that your comment really had no merit, and didn't account for how the word de-tox is used, except for one very limited way. And my point is there are other ways, too; making your quoted statement here not so true as you would like to think.
If you want to quibble over alternative uses of de-tox, he also said 'bet'. A quick google threw up in the first two pages: six dictionary references, a wikipedia entry and a wookipedi entry. The other 12 sounded more umm, 'alternative'. It was a good bet. Of course Google is weighted towards dictionary definitions and encyclopedia entries in the first few pages. For more random entries look on the later pages where you can find nine or ten out of ten entries that are quackery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟20,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do not allow evolution into your church, SPB.

Take my word for it: you'll regret it.

I will not go to a church that labels evolution anything but anti-God.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I will not go to a church that labels evolution anything but anti-God.
That is your constitutional right and no one can deny you that right. However; TOE is a scientific theory and if you can show me where it states in that theory that it is "Anti God" then I shall agree with you.

For your information: TOE has nothing to do with how life came to be and neither does it have anything to do with religion. It is simply a process that explains how life changes in order to adapt to its environment. A process is just a process and not a dogma religious or otherwise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.