Your church and your views on evolution (2)

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
By not teaching your kids science, you have all but guaranteed they will work in just about any industry that's not based on math/science,
Tell that to Bobby Fischer or Babe Ruth.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
jpcedotal said:
I see it as an advantage against secularism and atheism. I don't believe in brainwashing children with false religion.
Interestingly, I am teaching my children about all the various religions we encounter, to give them an advantage over those that follow them.

In science, we teach children that scientific theories can be changed or falsified. When you teach you children about religion, to you ever tell them that your religion might be the wrong one?
jpcedotal said:
Real science, my children will learn. I will also teach them to recognize evolution for what it is...an anti-God world view.
Show me a section, an example, from the theory of evolution that is "anti-God".

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Darwin did not launch a direct attack on God. He was to smart for that. His approach was indirect or implied.

As was Carl Sagan...who was pretty worthless to science

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
As was Carl Sagan...who was pretty worthless to science
Except for, y'know, all of his contributions to astrophysics, uncovering the natures of the planets and the Solar System, discovering the radiogenic formation of amino acids from simple molecules, etc. And not to mention his services to popularising science, effectively creating the next generation of scientists.

Yep, worthless...

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
'Can be' or 'should be'?
Can be because science is an ongoing process, and should be because science aims to better itself. Both are based on one variable and it is "Erudition".

AV, before you could read the Bible you had to learn to read first. Before you could understand the Bible you had to learn the meaning/s of words written a long time ago. So learning is part of progress and science is based on progress.

The day science stops inquiry then science will cease to exist and progress will stop.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Can be because science is an ongoing process, and should be because science aims to better itself. Both are based on one variable and it is "Erudition".
Then I'll take Davian's post with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
Darwin did not launch a direct attack on God. He was to smart for that. His approach was indirect or implied.

Or apathetic. Some might find that even more annoying. If "God" is of scientific significance, then that should be demonstrable. Complaining that it is not does very little.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
....matter and space just happen to exist, and always have existed, nobody knows why; and that the matter, behaving in certain fixed ways, has just happened, by a sort of fluke, to produce creatures like ourselves who are able to think. By one chance in a thousand something hit our sun and made it produce the planets; and by another thousandth chance the chemicals necessary for life, and the right temperature, occurred on one of these planets, and so some of the matter on this earth came alive; and then, by a very long series of chances, the living creatures developed into things like us. (CS Lewis)

This is more acceptable and believable than God did it?
Why? The same science that atheists say can not prove the existence of God, can not prove any of this.

To me, that is why not only evolution, but materialism itself is at best a worldview but better described as a religion and should never be even remotely called a science.

Upvote 0