Young programmer trying to use my skills to spread Christ’s message, please help me

CodeforChrist

Aug 23, 2013
Sacramento
✟7,719.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So here is a little story for everyone. Im not sure if this is the place for this post but here goes:

When I graduated College with a computer science degree a year and a half ago I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life. It would have been relatively easy for me to get a good paying job as a programmer because I had a good GPA and great recommendations from the internships I had done during the summer. But at the same time I felt an unyielding urge to serve God as best I could. Of course I did the usual volunteer work for my church but I wanted to do what I do best (programming) to spread Christ’s love.

I looked around for an organization that could utilize the skills of a programmer for religious purposes but couldn’t find any that I found compelling enough. After lots of prayer and soul searching I decided I would start making Android Apps for Christians part time while working a day job to support myself. After working on it about three months a few of my friends joined me and we decided we should organize ourselves. So we started an organization called Code for Christ.

I’m sharing this with all of you because we have recently released our first App and really need help getting off the ground. I’m posting a link to the App here so you guys can check it out, tell us what you think and, if you like it, share it with your church. I also feel obligated to say we want to do this full time eventually and if we're going to do it full time we need to support ourselves. We had a few options, charge for apps, ask for donations, or use ads. Pure donations would be ideal but usually you need to already have some recognition for people to be willing to donate. We wanted an option for no ads so we have a paid version but not everyone can afford to pay for apps so we made a free version as well and put ads in it to try and support ourselves.

Thanks you all so much for taking the time to read my story, any help and especially prayers are very much appreciated, thanks again and God bless!
When I graduated College with a computer science degree a year and a half ago I didn’t really know what I wanted to do with my life. It would have been relatively easy for me to get a good paying job as a programmer because I had a good GPA and great recommendations from the internships I had done during the summer. But at the same time I felt an unyielding urge to serve God as best I could. Of course I did the usual volunteer work for my church but I wanted to do what I do best (programming) to spread Christ’s love.

I looked around for an organization that could utilize the skills of a programmer for religious purposes but couldn’t find any that I found compelling enough. After lots of prayer and soul searching I decided I would start making Android Apps for Christians part time while working a day job to support myself. After working on it about three months a few of my friends joined me and we decided we should organize ourselves. So we started an organization called Code for Christ.

I’m sharing this with all of you because we have recently released our first App and really need help getting off the ground. I’m posting a link to the App here so you guys can check it out, tell us what you think and, if you like it, share it with your church! I also feel obligated to say we want to do this full time eventually and if we're going to do it full time we need to support ourselves. We had a few options, charge for apps, ask for donations, or use ads. Pure donations would be ideal but usually you need to already have some recognition for people to be willing to donate. We wanted an option for no ads so we have a paid version but not everyone can afford to pay for apps so we made a free version as well and put ads in it to try and support ourselves.

Thanks you all so much for taking the time to read my story, any help and especially prayers are very much appreciated. Thanks again and God bless!

pbn99Lk

candle glow

whatever I want to be
Jan 2, 2012
Nairobi, Kenya
✟18,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good initiative. I also don't have a device to view it properly (yet), but I do have a suggestion on content.

The quotes thing is a good idea. Perhaps you can make something specific to the teachings of Jesus, and in particular, sub-divisions like "parables", "commands", and "general teachings" or something like that, with even further sub-divisions like "greed", "hate", "love", "hypocrisy".

In my experience I've found that very few Christians these days seem to be unaware that Jesus gave a lot of instructions on how to show love to God and others. Something which rotates specifically through those commands (not the ten commandments, but specifically Jesus' commands from the 4 gospels) could be quite helpful in getting people to think more seriously about what it really means to follow Jesus.

Anyway, juz my two cents worth! :)

Upvote 0

GrayMike91

Led by Jesus
Sep 4, 2013
Indianapolis , Indiana
✟7,703.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I wish I had internet on my phone because I really would get it and maybe even the pro version if it has benefits. Thanks for serving the lord though! Get out there and touch people's lives with the voice of God through your bible quotes!

Upvote 0
T

trentlogain2

it's refreshing to see someone use their gifts and talents for the Lord. thank you!

i think you're the first person i've seen who's ventured into what you've called, "coding for Christ". i have a simple flip phone so i won't be able to test your app, but there was an idea i had for programming not too long ago, but i can't remember what it was about. maybe thru prayer and help from God i can remember what i thought about and come back and ask you if the idea would be practical. stay blessed in the meantime!

Upvote 0