Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
likewise.

One modern day reading of this would be "if you think that you speak prophetically or spiritually, please acknowledge that what I write is every bit what I receive from the Lord..." Personally, I think his emphasis here, as is his argument in many other places, that he has just as much right as Peter and James and the other 11 apostles of Jesus, to claim apostleship.

At the same time, I have no doubt that in most if not all of the letters he wrote to church congregations that he had founded, he wrote with great care, and with a lot of listening to news he had received from those congregations, and with a lot of prayer. When Elijah announced to Ahab that there would be no more rain until he (Elijah) said so, he spoke by the power of God's promises given in the wilderness before the people even made it to Canaan. He also spoke, in that sense, the commandments of the Lord. That is quite different from writing with the attitude "I am now writing Scripture." He was a Jewish scholar, and knew that there were writings considered very very special in the older Hebrew literature, but which were not yet fully accepted into the inner core of what we call the OT today. His OT did not look like ours. From this perspective, I imagine that he saw and adhered to the rabbinical system of writings being progressively sifted through time and applicability before they were given the full status that we refer to as canon.

It was a couple hundred years later that a group of men (almost certainly no women) got together and tried to agree on what literature was authoritative, and what was not. And they were not in full agreement. But I'm sure that even you believe that there have been Christians through the centuries that have written by the inspiration of God, to teach and encourage fellow believers, in all kinds of circumstances.

However, this is a bit off topic, so I will stop.

Thank you for bringing me back to topic which is the head covering . For this reason women should have power on their head because of the angels is the interesting phrase that seems to indicate it was not a cultural thing per se although Paul does go on to ask if it is seemly for woman to pray with her head uncovered .
I do think Paul had an understanding that was beyond our understanding . At least it seems he suffered greatly for the role the Lord appointed him . Is it necessary for a woman to cover her head while praying? It is difficult to promote any concept which does not align with the rights of man ( and woman ) any more . I wonder if this tradition ( the head covering ) is more repulsive the more success and voice in the world which women have obtained compared with their earlier roles of those who keep the home and raise the children . ( And I do not mean to be offensive in my questions and being a man , I have no frame of reference for being a woman . ) It seems both christian men and women seek acceptance by the world . I know that is a bit off topic but I think it may be related .

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do think Paul had an understanding that was beyond our understanding .

Totally agree-

I would also postulate that his "understanding"/concept of angels is quite likely different from ours. As to your comment
Is it necessary for a woman to cover her head while praying?
... depending on one's understanding of prayer, making this a condition, would mean a woman should ALWAYS have her head covered. So the question also becomes one of whether or not the issue Paul is addressing is women praying when there are men present, as when a mixed group of believers meet for worship.

Elsewhere Paul (and Jesus) made a very clear distinction between outward/physical demonstrations (circumcission, public giving, public prayer, etc.) and inward attitudes (circumcission of the heart, giving and praying in secret, murder and adultery in the heart, etc.) Man sees the outward, God focuses on the inward. (Maybe the angels also see primarily the outward? - how would we know - they certainly didn't know God's plans for our salvation before they were being implemented in time and space.)

Today I see a lot of young men coming to church and keeping the baseball caps on throughout worship services, even when there is prayer. I wonder how strict church leaders are in expecting/demanding that they take their hats/caps/wigs off, as compared to how they expect/demand women to cover their heads in accordance with these passages of scripture. Just an honest question.

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Totally agree-

I would also postulate that his "understanding"/concept of angels is quite likely different from ours. As to your comment

... depending on one's understanding of prayer, making this a condition, would mean a woman should ALWAYS have her head covered. So the question also becomes one of whether or not the issue Paul is addressing is women praying when there are men present, as when a mixed group of believers meet for worship.

Elsewhere Paul (and Jesus) made a very clear distinction between outward/physical demonstrations (circumcission, public giving, public prayer, etc.) and inward attitudes (circumcission of the heart, giving and praying in secret, murder and adultery in the heart, etc.) Man sees the outward, God focuses on the inward. (Maybe the angels also see primarily the outward? - how would we know - they certainly didn't know God's plans for our salvation before they were being implemented in time and space.)

Today I see a lot of young men coming to church and keeping the baseball caps on throughout worship services, even when there is prayer. I wonder how strict church leaders are in expecting/demanding that they take their hats/caps/wigs off, as compared to how they expect/demand women to cover their heads in accordance with these passages of scripture. Just an honest question.

Sister .. I am very much in agreement with you regarding the inward . It grieves me that I have been raised by society to value the outer appearance ( although maybe that is the natural man and I was born with it ) ...I have always been a shallow person but was not aware until the Lord found me . I am trying as God gives me grace to " no longer know any man after the flesh " .
Regarding young men in baseball caps in church ...I am actually more concerned that we come to believe that we are " serving God " when we come to church and when we leave , we are no longer part of the body of Jesus .
The ball cap thing ( and many such things ) are manifestations of "being cool" . Old men do it too . Not to stray from the topic but I hate that we try to please society . May God give us grace through His Spirit to be different . To love eternal things . To be strangers and not earthlings as it were ,( verses citizens of heaven . )
Regarding demanding the uncovering for men ( including in my opinion the unnecessity of wigs/toupe's ) and the covering for women ...More is taught by example . That is why Paul said let the older women teach the younger . And also why we are to be examples unto the flock ...not "lording" it over them ..That is the gentile way verses the way of Christ.
Having spent much time around dear brothers and sisters from a plain background . I do appreciate the meekness and plainness but also understand that the outward can deceive us . Oh that I could value the inner Christ more .

Upvote 0