You did not chose Me, I chose you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have addressed this previously. Time and again you say certain sin does not bar you from being a Christian. it appears you are berating me for agreeing with you in this instance

I did not write the Bible. God did. God's Word (the Bible) says there is a sin that is not unto death (1 John 5:16-17). God's Word (the Bible) and not me says that there are commands with no mention of any threats with condemnation or hell fire (Matthew 5:11), and yet there are other commands given to us that if broken, they are attached with condemnation or hell fire (Matthew 5:22) (Matthew 5:28-30).

Upvote 0

bobsmename

Jan 5, 2020
devon
✟15,933.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Ah, so now your changing your story. I was correct in my answer. Jesus is the foundation. You asked me what was the foundation of the New Covenant. Jesus is the foundation according to Scripture and you said I was incorrect before.
I haven't changed anything, of course Jesus is in the foundation upon which the new covenant stands: Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more(that's due to Jesus.
But, the new covenant hinges on two, not one core fact. That you did not know did you

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't changed anything, of course Jesus is in the foundation upon which the new covenant stands: Their sins and lawless deeds I will remember no more(that's due to Jesus.
But, the new covenant hinges on two, not one core fact. That you did not know did you

Before you said I gave an incorrect answer.

Upvote 0

bobsmename

Jan 5, 2020
devon
✟15,933.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I did not write the Bible. God did. God's Word (the Bible) says there is a sin that is not unto death (1 John 5:16-17). God's Word (the Bible) and not me says that there are commands with no mention of any threats with condemnation or hell fire (Matthew 5:11), and yet there are other commands given to us that if broken, they are attached with condemnation or hell fire (Matthew 5:22) (Matthew 5:28-30).
Address the point, we both believe there is certain sin christians would not do, and you yourself have said certain sin does not bar you from being a Christian, which was what my post in essence said. If you cannot reply honestly it would be better for you not to reply at all

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay. I gotta eat today. Losing energy. So I am...

full

Upvote 0

bobsmename

Jan 5, 2020
devon
✟15,933.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree, but continued reliance on God is still a condition. IMO, this is why relying on works is so dangerous. It can create false security. A person can do all kinds of good works and never visit the cross.

Yes, the Pharisees did many good works but Jesus said they did not even know his Father. I like to believe God can bring us to continually rely on him, in my experience that is true anyway

Upvote 0

bobsmename

Jan 5, 2020
devon
✟15,933.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.’

17 Then he adds:

‘Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.’
Heb10:15-17

If the new covenant only hinged on the second part of it, undoubtedly you have a licence to sin and bible highlighter would be correct. For the believer has no righteousness before God of obeying the law. However, you only get a saviour from sin due to the first part of the covenant taking place in your life, that cuts out a licence to sin for those truly born again of the Spirit. God made a perfect covenant, there are no holes in it!

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
He was baptized by John — a baptism of repentance. Why was that?

It wasn't because He had sinned. So think about it more. Why did John hesitate to baptize Jesus? Baptism isn't to cleanse sins, it comes from an ALREADY clean conscience. 1 Peter 3:21

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A person cannot do works or enter the Sanctification Process without first being saved by God's grace through faith in Christ. Works come after being saved by God's grace, otherwise a person is putting the cart before the horse.
If a person cannot do works and not be saved, then why will he tell people who did many works in his name: " I never knew you."?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Arminius’ view of sanctification aligned more with the standard Reformed theology of his day (except maybe his emphases) and is much different from contemporary Arminian theology. Much of so-called Arminianism, which follows John Wesley’s adaptation, teaches that entire sanctification is possible and even expected of believers. This teaches that Christians may reach a point in their spiritual progression where they have become completely sanctified or live a life of sinless perfection.

This is the teaching I heard growing up, and although I respect Wesley greatly, I also believe he was wrong on this.

I believe the word of God upholds Arminius and Wesley and contradicts Calvin and Luther.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
If a person cannot do works and not be saved, then why will he tell people who did many works in his name: " I never knew you."?

The gifts and calling of God are irrevocable, however, we still have free will to walk after the Spirit in our new nature, or revert back like a dog licking up his own vomit. If you willfully sin after being sanctified, it's as if they never really knew Christ. Therefore, wouldn't that be the same on the other side? The state of being saved can fluctuate. We are not the apostles whom Christ prayed that this would never happen.

1 John 3:6
6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the word of God upholds Arminius and Wesley and contradicts Calvin and Luther.
Generally, I agree, but what I was pointing out is that Arminius and Wesley differed on Christian perfection.
There always has been a stream of Arminianism, going back to Arminius himself, that includes many Baptists, that is thoroughly Reformed with regard [to] original sin, human depravity, atonement and justification.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Because they also worked iniquity or lawlessness. It is more than just having good works. A person has to live holy and or be pure of heart. Hebrews 12:14 says without holiness, no man shall see the Lord. Matthew 5:8 says, "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God."

The way to know God is to find if we are keeping His commandments.

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments" (1 John 2:3).

The person who says they know Jesus and does not keep His commandments is a liar and truth (Jesus is the truth - Jhn 14:6) is not in them.

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him"
(1 John 2:4).

A person has to have the Son in order to have life (See 1 John 5:12). Jesus is the truth that needs to be in them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Generally, I agree, but what I was pointing out is that Arminius and Wesley differed on Christian perfection.
There always has been a stream of Arminianism, going back to Arminius himself, that includes many Baptists, that is thoroughly Reformed with regard [to] original sin, human depravity, atonement and justification.

I want to ask you a serious question about "total depravity" Does that belief include both before and after coming to Christ, or just before. I've never gotten that straight.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.’

17 Then he adds:

‘Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.’
Heb10:15-17

If the new covenant only hinged on the second part of it, undoubtedly you have a licence to sin and bible highlighter would be correct. For the believer has no righteousness before God of obeying the law. However, you only get a saviour from sin due to the first part of the covenant taking place in your life, that cuts out a licence to sin for those truly born again of the Spirit. God made a perfect covenant, there are no holes in it!

Gods grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (See Titus 2:11-12). Your version of grace does not teach that because it teaches that one can sin and still be saved on some level. God also remembers no more a believer's PAST sins and not future sins. Nowhere does the Bible teach that future sin is forgiven for a believer. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Ooops. I guess got forgot to about remembering their sins no more in this case, right? See, that is why future sin is not forgiven a believer. It would lead to turning God's grace into a license for immorality (of which Jude 1:4 warns against).

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speak for yourself. :)
It doesn't matter who I speak for. I've known some very Holy people. But no perfect ones. If you say you don't sin, the truth isn't in you. And being a faker is being a Pharisee. You don't want to be that.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter who I speak for. I've known some very Holy people. But no perfect ones. If you say you don't sin, the truth isn't in you. And being a faker is being a Pharisee. You don't want to be that.

We walk by faith and not by sight. Noah was called a preacher of righteousness (2 Peter 2:5). So he preached righteous living.

"And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly; And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly;" (2 Peter 2:5-6).

Only eight people survived the global flood. Eight. So if you lived during the time of Noah and you heard him preach righteousness, you could say to him that he is lying because you have not seen anyone who lived righteously on the Earth. Problem. Everyone during that time besides Noah and his family were living in wickedness and or ungodliness. So you could not judge Noah based on your experience.

Imagine if you held to "Believe Alone-ism" back then.

"Hey Noah, I believe you." "I think the Ark can save me!"
But if you believed this but you did not do the good work of going into the Ark, then you would perish along with everyone else. Some form of action or work needed to take place as part of faith or a belief.

What you fail to realize is that verse 6 in 2 Peter 2 says that the global flood and Sodom were all examples to those who live ungodly thereafter. So yeah. Sin destroys. It destroyed whole cities and an entire world.

Upvote 0