You believe a person can be saved never reading the bible?

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello you and welcome.

Do you believe a person can be saved never reading the bible?

Is there anyway for God to divinely intervene with this person who may have faith in the existence of God never reading the bible?

What are your thoughts on God being powerful enough to even interact with his creation outside the parameters of possibly never hearing, or reading the bible?

Reactions: Gary N

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lots of people don't get the chance to, either due to illiteracy or circumstances of life (i.e. on the run in a persecuted country). The way God generally works in those situations is that Christians verbally communicate the Gospel. He can make exceptions sometimes, via visions. I've heard reports of them, but I don't know how frequent they are.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello you and welcome.

Is there anyway for God to divinely intervene with this person who may have faith in the existence of God never reading the bible?

What are your thoughts on God being powerful enough to even interact with his creation outside the parameters of possibly never hearing, or reading the bible?
I'd hope so. Otherwise, all those christians before there was a "the bible" as we know it today didn't get saved either.

In the future, all religious texts may be completely destroyed for whatever reason - and in that moment, Jesus will continue to build His Church, and the gates of hell will not stand against it.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, God can save someone without a detailed understanding of the Bible.
A person will not remain Saved if they clearly understand some parts of their Bible, but deliberately refuse to acknowledge them, however.
God can tell the difference.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello you and welcome.

Literacy on any large scale is only roughly 100 years old. Christianity existed long before that. So yes, a person can be saved without ever reading the bible.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
are your thoughts on God being powerful enough to even interact with his creation outside the parameters of possibly never hearing, or reading the bible?

Absolutely, yes. I imagine it's happening all day, every day.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello you and welcome.

We can start with Abraham before any word was written. The list is long yet narrow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello you and welcome.

Well ... of course.

The Bible wasn't available until 400 AD or so ...

• Friendly
Reactions: GallagherM
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What tribe was that Returntosender?
I don't Know, it was years and years ago. A lost civilization they had found.
I will see if Google has info on it.

That sounds contradictory, lol.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

GallagherM

Jun 13, 2021
Fyffe
✟13,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was seriously curious. Lol.

Though there may be people out there who come to faith actually by hearing the word of God yet never read the Bible they will be saved to the kingdom of God. All people who have faith in the death, burial, resurrection of Christ have the spirit within them; though they may struggle more with their flesh; being spiritually weak. Those who are strong should encourage and remind them of the goodness of God and him being there for us in our lives.

(some situation Gods know more about to where as we do not in the cases of those outside of reach to be given the message of Christ).

There is so much a person can learn by reading the Bible; and the great news is that all people have been saved from their sins by the Lord. But not everyone is saved to the kingdom of God whom do not believe and lack any faith.

It’s hard but a truth; God is a good God and I believe all people will be resurrected after this life though I do not agree with them after this life being punished forever believe they will reviving and given a spiritual body that will be lived in after this life though those without faith may because of their own want be outside the kingdom of God after this life outside of heavenly Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

samuel hart

Oct 16, 2020
toronto
✟15,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes because the OLD TIME PREACHERS LIKE ENOS AND NOAH DID NOT
HAVE A BIBLE BUT PREACHED WHAT THEY HEARD FROM ADAM
TO THE SONS OF GOD PEOPLE WHO LIVED AT THAT TIME. ITS TOO BAD THAT
THE SONS OF GOD BELIEVERS WENT INTO THE WORLD AND MARRIED
NON BELIEVERS.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Was seriously curious. Lol.

Though there may be people out there who come to faith actually by hearing the word of God yet never read the Bible they will be saved to the kingdom of God. All people who have faith in the death, burial, resurrection of Christ have the spirit within them; though they may struggle more with their flesh; being spiritually weak. Those who are strong should encourage and remind them of the goodness of God and him being there for us in our lives.

(some situation Gods know more about to where as we do not in the cases of those outside of reach to be given the message of Christ).

There is so much a person can learn by reading the Bible; and the great news is that all people have been saved from their sins by the Lord. But not everyone is saved to the kingdom of God whom do not believe and lack any faith.

It’s hard but a truth; God is a good God and I believe all people will be resurrected after this life though I do not agree with them after this life being punished forever believe they will reviving and given a spiritual body that will be lived in after this life though those without faith may because of their own want be outside the kingdom of God after this life outside of heavenly Jerusalem.
I did Google it with no luck. Maybe I am not using the right words or maybe it was too many years ago, sorry.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With no particular purpose in mind I was browsing the net one day and happened on this.
Imam finds Jesus in the Quran.
and this.
Muslim Imam sees Jesus on the cross @ Mecca.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello you and welcome.

The overwhelming majority of Christians who have ever lived never read the Bible. They couldn't read the Bible, there weren't Bibles to read (the moveable-type printing press wasn't invented until the 15th century, before that written works had to be meticulously hand-written and hand copied. Every Bible in the first 1400 years of Christianity was a hand-written Bible. Which is why a church could have a Bible, and kings and emperors could afford to have a Bible in their library. But not even your average landed aristocrat had the luxury of literacy, let alone ownership of books; not to speak of the general peasant populace.

The Bible was instead heard. That is how Christians encountered the Scriptures, by hearing them read out loud.

When, in Western Europe, people sough to provide the Bible in the common tongue, this was coupled with also having the Liturgy in the common tongue--because the way the average Christian was to encounter God's word was in the Liturgy, in the Mass.

As such, the only way a Christian would be deprived of God's word for most of Christian history was if they actively avoided Christian life, i.e. sharing in the corporate worship of the Church through weekly services, and the rhythm and cycle of the Christian Liturgical Year.

We take for granted that most of us live in affluent societies with high rates of literacy and the mass production of the printed word means that any one of us can have not just a Bible, but fill a book case full of Bibles if we wanted. One can go to a Walmart and pick up a Bible for a pittance.

We moderns are the exception, not the norm, historically speaking.

Also, God's saving work through Word and Sacrament means that it's not just reading or hearing the Bible--it's the actual preaching of the Gospel, and the Sacraments that matter. Of course the Bible proclaims that Gospel to us through all its pages, and thus the Bible is a Christ-bearing, Gospel-bearing text which God uses to bring faith (as faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ, that is, the Gospel).

The Bible is part of the Christian religion, not its centerpiece. The centerpiece of our religion is Jesus Christ and His Gospel. The role of the Bible is to point to that.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0