progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Godslilflutterby said:
I'm very new into yoga! I've always wanted to be involved in it, and then finally I baught a book about,...not even a month ago! The only reason I didn't get involved before is because I had heard that it wasn't right for christians to be doing it,...so I made my own little 'way', like, I hold certain poses and say a verse that corresponds to the name of that pose, and/or I think of the things of the Lord. It's worked very well for me so far....I didn't think I would ever find christians who was involved with yoga,...thank God I found you! But I still have a looooooooong way to go untill I even will THINK I know what I'm talking about!!
*ash*
www.christianyoga.us has some videos that you might like :)

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Godslilflutterby said:
I'm very new into yoga! I've always wanted to be involved in it, and then finally I baught a book about,...not even a month ago! The only reason I didn't get involved before is because I had heard that it wasn't right for christians to be doing it,...*ash*

Hi Ash !!!

IMNSHO, many christians have let satan have a lot of "good" things because "they were afraid". A church I was attending when my daughter was about 5 years old had a fit because I let her go to ballet.... The pastor said she might grow up to dance in a bar. (I told him the same logic would have her playing piano in a honky-tonk, if I allowed her to have piano lessons).

That said -- if you go to Amazon and search for Christian Yoga, you'll find out that you & I are not alone. In fact, there's a whole world of contemplative christians "out there" who have taught me a lot about worshipping God in all that I do.

Upvote 0

Godslilflutterby

Sep 8, 2005
Circleville, Ohio
✟177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I love the website, and I'm going to look up christian yoga like woah! Even as I'm writing this, I'm getting lectured by my mother about how my gma said yoga was evil,.....*sigh*. But oh well, they'll see when I'm not worshiping satan and fit! hehe! Thanx again for showing me these things. You guys are awsome!
*ash*

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Godslilflutterby said:
I'm very new into yoga! I've always wanted to be involved in it, and then finally I baught a book about,...not even a month ago! The only reason I didn't get involved before is because I had heard that it wasn't right for christians to be doing it,...so I made my own little 'way', like, I hold certain poses and say a verse that corresponds to the name of that pose, and/or I think of the things of the Lord. It's worked very well for me so far....I didn't think I would ever find christians who was involved with yoga,...thank God I found you! But I still have a looooooooong way to go untill I even will THINK I know what I'm talking about!!
*ash*
Yes, we are pioneers! I am a conservative christian and a certified yoga instructor! Keep on feeling peaceful, God Bless,J

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Godslilflutterby said:
I love the website, and I'm going to look up christian yoga like woah! Even as I'm writing this, I'm getting lectured by my mother about how my gma said yoga was evil,.....*sigh*. But oh well, they'll see when I'm not worshiping satan and fit! hehe! Thanx again for showing me these things. You guys are awsome!
*ash*

What really makes something evil anyway ?

I think it's intent... and only God knows our hearts...

I'm sure your mom is simply trying to protect you.

Upvote 0

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
:)

http://www.christianforums.com/t2180883-yoga-is-not-an-exercise.html

Watch out, "pioneers" of a few millenniums old spiritual and physical Indian art form, is there an official view on yoga from the Catholic church (since that's the only denomination with a certified head)?

Lol, the Indian government has started documenting all the asanas of yoga, which has been practiced for thousands of years with no problems as free and public knowledge, after Western companies or groups have started copyrighting the asanas in their own name!!!

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
indianx said:
:)

http://www.christianforums.com/t2180883-yoga-is-not-an-exercise.html

Watch out, "pioneers" of a few millenniums old spiritual and physical Indian art form, is there an official view on yoga from the Catholic church (since that's the only denomination with a certified head)?

Lol, the Indian government has started documenting all the asanas of yoga, which has been practiced for thousands of years with no problems as free and public knowledge, after Western companies or groups have started copyrighting the asanas in their own name!!!

I'm guessing that it's mostly protestant christians who feel as though they are "pioneers"... Most of us have been taught that even meditation is "wrong" -- go figure ?

Upvote 0

Godslilflutterby

Sep 8, 2005
Circleville, Ohio
✟177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hey,
I've been having a great time learning and practicing yoga,...it's awsome! Well, I have a question. In a book that have it has a 'new mother' section, and it tells that you should start off slow and etc,...well, could any of you help me with what poses would be good for that, and ect. I'm the co-leader of a TOPS (taking off pounds sensibly) in my area, and I have inroduced yoga to the members. Well, we're going to have a visitor Tuesday night who has just had a baby a few weeks ago, and wants to lose the excess weight safetly and as quickly as her body will allow. I'm trying to help her as much as possible with the yoga outlook, because I think that it would be the very best route to take after childbirth. Do any of you have any suggestions of what to tell her, and different poses that may bring peace to her new found life as a mom?!
Thanx *ash*

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don''t know alot about pre-natal yoga other than pregnant women should NOT do anything lying flat on their backs after the first trimester, but there are some excellent videos out there you might want to look at Leisa Hart has "Fit Mama" pre and post-natal
DVDs that include yoga segments, and Crunch has an excellent video called "Yoga Mama".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
progressivegal said:
I don''t know alot about pre-natal yoga other than pregnant women should NOT do anything lying flat on their backs after the first trimester, but there are some excellent videos out there you might want to look at Leisa Hart has "Fit Mama" pre and post-natal
DVDs that include yoga segments, and Crunch has an excellent video called "Yoga Mama".
Agree re. lying on backs.

I have had ( and do) have pregnant participants in my yoga classes. Most importantly, in the first trimester a pregnant woman must be careful. Many of the poses must be modified as the pregnancy progresses, and certain precautions must be taken, including supine position and spinal twist. Hormones are increasing ROM etc. If you want to practice yoga asana's while pregnant, you MUST be taught by a certified instructor, DO NOT settle for anything less. J

Upvote 0

Godslilflutterby

Sep 8, 2005
Circleville, Ohio
✟177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
fitmom said:
Agree re. lying on backs.

I have had ( and do) have pregnant participants in my yoga classes. Most importantly, in the first trimester a pregnant woman must be careful. Many of the poses must be modified as the pregnancy progresses, and certain precautions must be taken, including supine position and spinal twist. Hormones are increasing ROM etc. If you want to practice yoga asana's while pregnant, you MUST be taught by a certified instructor, DO NOT settle for anything less. J

Thanx guys,...you are so much help!!
*ash*:)

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
lindamarie said:
I haven't done yoga in quite awhile. This thread has inspired me to join a class!! (1st one is tomorrow !!!)

:thumbsup:
How wonderful! HAve a great time :)
I've been teaching some pilates/yoga combo classes, but I haven't had time to really practice on my own lately either. This Saturday I'm going to a Yoga Choreography workshop for instructors and I'm pretty excited about that :)

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
progressivegal said:
This Saturday I'm going to a Yoga Choreography workshop for instructors and I'm pretty excited about that :)

That sounds wonderful, too... I'm not much of a dancer (my dad was a good Baptist guy & stopped it early on when I requested dance lessons as a child ^_^ ). The yoga routines I like the best are the ones that seem more choreographed...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreenPartyVoter

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I have my little cheerleaders doing yoga stretches to increase their flexibility. http://www.geocities.com/aescougarcheer/basics.htm

In fact a lot of the stunt toppers out there are yoga positions, just called by other names.

Look familiar? ;)

grovecity_sm.jpg
bombers_scale_sm.jpg
alleyscorp_sm.jpg

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟8,131.00
Faith
Christian
I used to be a big yoga fan until very recently. Learned yoga from books and practiced at home, rarely attended classes. I used to compete in triathlons as well, and yoga helped me prevent injuries. With that said I remember christians at the time warning me about yoga, and the spiritual damage that can do to a christian. At the time I didn't think those people were right. Today, however, I have to admit that attending yoga classes is dangerous for any christian. I would say that the vast majority of yoga instructors are eastern mystics or new age religious followers. Same can be said of yoga students, they are truly into eastern philosophy and religion. It is very unlikely to find a yoga instructor or student that believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and rose from the dead. Yoga instructors are spiritual, but certainly not christians. So, my advice to everybody that goes to yoga classes is to be alert because the devil is lurking in many Yoga classes. Some of them are forms of ungodly worship. And also be careful when reading Yoga magazines like Yoga Journal, they do teach a different faith. John 14:6:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

I'm not telling anybody to stop doing Yoga, but pray to The Father that he will lead you in the right direction through his holy spirit.

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Bill777 said:
I used to be a big yoga fan until very recently. Learned yoga from books and practiced at home, rarely attended classes. I used to compete in triathlons as well, and yoga helped me prevent injuries. With that said I remember christians at the time warning me about yoga, and the spiritual damage that can do to a christian. At the time I didn't think those people were right. Today, however, I have to admit that attending yoga classes is dangerous for any christian. I would say that the vast majority of yoga instructors are eastern mystics or new age religious followers. Same can be said of yoga students, they are truly into eastern philosophy and religion. It is very unlikely to find a yoga instructor or student that believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and rose from the dead. Yoga instructors are spiritual, but certainly not christians. So, my advice to everybody that goes to yoga classes is to be alert because the devil is lurking in many Yoga classes. Some of them are forms of ungodly worship. And also be careful when reading Yoga magazines like Yoga Journal, they do teach a different faith. John 14:6:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

I'm not telling anybody to stop doing Yoga, but pray to The Father that he will lead you in the right direction through his holy spirit.
I'm a yoga instructor, and so is a good friend from my church. I suggest you check out some of the videos at www.christianyoga.us if you want to continue your practice :)

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Bill777 said:

I am a certified Yoga Instructor, and a Christian who puts Jesus first! I read Yoga Journal and I take from it what I like and leave the rest behind. In life we must make choices, and we must be able to discern good from evil. Like I have said many times on CF, check out the yoga class and the instructor, make a discerning choice, before you attend. God Bless, J

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=discernment

Upvote 0