Kazem

Aug 21, 2005
Msr Gadeda
✟15,166.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Chanting exercises are used in many aspects of meditative religions... however... chanting from a physiological standpoint has great merit. Some of the point is in regulative breathing. Taoists, for example, have always emphasized the necessity of good, clean, deep breathing. I believe the Shaolin temple developed what is known as the Six Healing Breaths - to the effect that breathing is the key to health and vigor.

It seems to me, and I know nothing of yoga, that if there is a chant, one could easily adapt the chant meter to one's own wording - a Christian prayer, say. But I could be wrong, and I would be interested in hearing more?

~ Kazem

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Kazem said:
It seems to me, and I know nothing of yoga, that if there is a chant, one could easily adapt the chant meter to one's own wording - a Christian prayer, say. But I could be wrong, and I would be interested in hearing more?

~ Kazem

Yes, this is true, one could chant there own words into a christian prayer, and this would be lovely in an all christian setting! I don't have an all christian yoga class, working on this one, it is going to take time, mean while I won't do the chanting. During my training I observed the chanting, and was not 'required' to chant to complete my cert. Why? Because yoga is a journey, personal to all who practice, and my teacher accepts that a few of us where not into chanting, my reason being that I am a Christian.
I suppose the type of yoga I teach/practice is very 'westernized', not deeply traditional. We focus on asanas, pranayama and balance. The practice of yoga has been a great benefit to my health.
God Bless and namaste! J

Upvote 0

Lucasinvictus

~Light a candle ~ dont curse the darkness~
Aug 7, 2005
West Coast, BC
✟1,208.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
one could easily adapt the chant meter to one's own wording

.. of course.. it is a very personal matter.. and tones or verse can be adapted in my opinion...

mean while I won't do the chanting

.. youll never know if you dont open yourself to it... i mean... you already do the pranayama.. which is half the effort (and a very spiritual practise)

I don't have an all christian yoga class, working on this one

... why does it always have to be about exclusiveness with you christians?:p... the word yoga itself means to yoke.. or to come together!:)

God Bless and namaste!

ahahaha... and if your not aware... this is a total contradiction... you are saying god bless (from the christian 'god').. and then you are bowing to the presence of the divine within another soul (namaste)... which is something (if your against simple chanting).. should be considered heretical:p.. hahahaha

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Lucasinvictus said:
.. )

... why does it always have to be about exclusiveness with you christians?:p... the word yoga itself means to yoke.. or to come together!:)

ahahaha... and if your not aware... this is a total contradiction... you are saying god bless (from the christian 'god').. and then you are bowing to the presence of the divine within another soul (namaste)... which is something (if your against simple chanting).. should be considered heretical:p.. hahahaha

Us Christians? This is a Christian Forum, so I feel free to answer as such. FYI, I have to tread lightly as I am a pioneer of sorts being a certified Yoga Instructor and a Christian, these things take time.
Also, Namaste has not been 100% translated from the sanskrit text, and my understanding (which may not agree with yours) is my 'best or most sincere' greetings to you. Anyway, I love the practice of yoga, I realize it is not completely traditional, it is more of a fitness/Hatha/power yoga approach. I take from yoga what I love and I leave the rest. I teach my students the same. I have received both my level one and two without chanting because yoga is a personal journey, and as long as I am safely teaching asana and have the knowledge of anatomy and physiology I qualify.

So in true Christian and Yoga style, I will not debate the quality of my yoga practice. My classes are full, teach to all ages, and I continue to learn and grow through my with with God, in life and as a yoga student.

Again, God Bless you and Namaste!
J

Upvote 0

Lucasinvictus

~Light a candle ~ dont curse the darkness~
Aug 7, 2005
West Coast, BC
✟1,208.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
This is a Christian Forum, so I feel free to answer as such

... i wouldnt have it any other way... not trying to bash your faith here... just attempting to broaden your horizons on the matter;)

Namaste has not been 100% translated from the sanskrit text

.. umm.. errrr....

Please, don't make me laugh this much again, it gets painful after a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste

... ahh jeez.. beat me to it!:p:D

Again, God Bless you and Namaste!

... regardless of your beleifs.. imo it is very refreshing everytime i meet such an open minded christian:).. best wishes with all the paths you walk.. namaste:bow:

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Lucasinvictus said:
... i wouldnt have it any other way... not trying to bash your faith here... just attempting to broaden your horizons on the matter;)

... regardless of your beleifs.. imo it is very refreshing everytime i meet such an open minded christian:).. best wishes with all the paths you walk.. namaste:bow:

Thank you, my beliefs are broadened by my faith in Christ, there is no more freedom than in my walk with Him.
And thank you again, many people have said that to me, and as a fitness professional this is a way to witness to those whom I meet at work and other wise. I wish for people to see the love of Christ and not judgment.
And as much as I love yoga, I do not practice all that yoga teaches. One thing we can all learn from yoga is the yoke or union of mind/body/spirit.

God Bless,J

Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, I know I said I would post this a long time ago,
This is what my certification manuel says about the origins of yoga:

"Myth: Yoga derives from hinduism:
Fact: Yoga predates Hinduism and was adopted bu Hinduism as well as other World religions

Yoga was developed in ancient times out of a desire for greater personal freedom, health, and long life, and heightened self-understanding. The classical techniques of yoga originated in India more than 5,000 years ago, despite beliefs of 500 B.C.E.

1920s-archeologists discovered that the Indus-Sarasvati Civilization which resembled Hindu Society and culture. Stone carvings depicting figures in yoga positions set grounds for belief that yoga pre-dates written history."

It talks about the history of Yoga alot more after that, but that's basically what it says about the origins.

This is taken from an article called "Yoga as a Spiritual PRactice" by Viki Distin

"Of the countless missunderstandings surrounding this practice, the one that I am most concerned with is the myth that Yoga is a religion. Yoga is not a religion. PEople of all faiths can practice. Gary KRaftsow, author of Yoga for Wellness was a keynote speaker for the midwest Yoga conference in 2000. I was there to hear this humble and knowledgeable Yogi talk about Yoga as a spiritual practice. One of his points was that people who are one of the five world religions (Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, and ISlamic) would resonate most with yoga because they have cultivated compassion through their religion. Most ancient and contemporary yogis understand yoga as a path which is accessable to everyone. Many of the qualities which Yoga adresses (health, clear thinking, breath, patience, happiness) are qualities which are universal and not limited to one group. Because Yoga is accessable to everyone, different people will seek different types of yoga, or even different intentions. Some students are not interested in yoga as a spiritual practice, and that is fine too.

Yoga did origniate in India and therefore the Hindus where the first group of people to practice. However, the first yogis did not intend for people to attatch yoga to a particular faith. Now that ypga is practiced around the world, there are people of all faith practicing. ...
I believe that fear is what makes people judge people of other faiths, fear is what drives people to believe that yoga will conflict with their own religion. This practice requires courage, and the irony is that if people practice yoga, over time they will actually rid themselves of this dreaded cancer of fear.
So if Yoga is not a religion, what is it? It is best described as a "spiritual practice"/ It is an inner journey of spirit because of the connection of the breath and the "inward focus on thoughts and sensations. It is because of this "inner" alignment that people report they feel more spiritual and maybe even notice a stronger desire to learn more about their own faith....."

Upvote 0

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
It can be argued that the "Indus-Sarasvati" civilization was Hindu and I am prepared to argue for it. The argument goes hand in hand against the one against the Aryan Invasion theory. Ironic that Sarasvati is a Hindu god. Patanjali, a Hindu sage, wrote the yoga sutras that are practiced today. Most of the opinions in that article are just that, opinions, they can't be proven. They make statements on what the people who created yoga thought, which is logically impossible.

They keep repeating that "yoga is not a religion", of course yoga is not a religion, yoga is part of a religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
indianx said:
It can be argued that the "Indus-Sarasvati" civilization was Hindu and I am prepared to argue for it. The argument goes hand in hand against the one against the Aryan Invasion theory. Ironic that Sarasvati is a Hindu god.

I don't know enough to counter, I'm just sharing the information in my certification manuel. I think the whole point is, that Yoga may have first been done by people who where hindus, but Yoga is not a religious practice. It's kind of like saying that the first people who are popcorn where Christians (I have no idea if this is true, just popped into my head) therefore, eating popcorn is a Christian practice and part of the Christian religion, it just doens't make much sense.

Upvote 0

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
Of course, I have nothing against people from other religions practicing yoga. In fact, I think it would be a benefit for everyone if they do yoga. But, I have to say that yoga is a religious practice for Hindus. And I think you would agree with that, people from other religions just take the physical aspect and that's fine with me too.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
indianx said:
Of course, I have nothing against people from other religions practicing yoga. In fact, I think it would be a benefit for everyone if they do yoga. But, I have to say that yoga is a religious practice for Hindus. And I think you would agree with that, people from other religions just take the physical aspect and that's fine with me too.
Agreed! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

stbike

Sep 13, 2005
✟132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have practiced Yoga for about four years now. It has all but cured a severe back problem I had. I could not run, jump or anything only walk slowly! I now can do all those things, but now walk slowly with mindfulness instead of hurtfulness.

I do my centering prayer time directly after and it has improved as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

vedickings

Yogi
Oct 7, 2004
Oregon
✟3,343.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
stbike said:
I have practiced Yoga for about four years now. It has all but cured a severe back problem I had. I could not run, jump or anything only walk slowly! I now can do all those things, but now walk slowly with mindfulness instead of hurtfulness.

I do my centering prayer time directly after and it has improved as well.

I'm happy for you:)

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
vedickings said:
fitmom, what type of Pranayama do you teach?

I hope I understand your question. In Hatha Yoga, each movement in and out of asana involves breath, such as Sun Salutations. In Savasana (and guided meditation) I start with just nostril breath, then evolve to diaphragmatic breath. I will set rhythms, such as counting (symmetrical)
, or releasing with exhale. I teach square breath, and also while seated, holding breath at the top of the inhale and bottom of the exhale. We also practice alternate nostril breath. So, pranayama is practiced through the entire class. I start and end with savasana.
I have also created a few of my own, velvet breath. I always encourage my students to set a rhythm, to 'take' waht they need on the inhale, and to 'release' what they don't on the exhale. This is how to put into words, but I ask them to observe a parallel between breath and life. Our breath is never selfish, it takes and uses what it needs and releases the rest. We can learn so much from pranayam. I know I will learn a lot more. I am a new yoga Instructor, just two years, but an 11 year practitioner.
I hope this answers your question, it really is just the tip of the iceberg.
God Bless,j

Upvote 0

lindamarie

Aug 17, 2005
Kentucky
✟8,317.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I live in a mid-size southern town that is "sort of rural"... needless to say, there are probably quite a few folks around here that believe some form of "christians shouldn't be doing yoga...)

Nonetheless, I took a yoga class once (which was not much more than floor exercise) and I have practiced with DVDs...

I would like a bit more instruction, because the little bit of yoga I have practiced has been very beneficial. I just don't know what to look for in a "class" or "instructor"...

Upvote 0

Godslilflutterby

Sep 8, 2005
Circleville, Ohio
✟177.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I'm very new into yoga! I've always wanted to be involved in it, and then finally I baught a book about,...not even a month ago! The only reason I didn't get involved before is because I had heard that it wasn't right for christians to be doing it,...so I made my own little 'way', like, I hold certain poses and say a verse that corresponds to the name of that pose, and/or I think of the things of the Lord. It's worked very well for me so far....I didn't think I would ever find christians who was involved with yoga,...thank God I found you! But I still have a looooooooong way to go untill I even will THINK I know what I'm talking about!!
*ash*

Upvote 0