• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Yet Another Reason to Oppose Police Violence: It's Costing Us Millions of Dollars

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by SummerMadness, Apr 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+11,577
    Catholic
    Yet Another Reason to Oppose Police Violence: It's Costing Us Millions of Dollars

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Old Lady

Old Lady ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+10,937
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    Black people (God love them!) still call the police.

3. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+30,407
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    IMHO things would improve if everybody believed that everybody else belongs here and everybody deserves to be treated like human beings.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • List
  4. Handmaid for Jesus

Handmaid for Jesus You can't steal my joy Supporter

+30,407
    Protestant
    Private
    US-Others
    Yes God does love them.

5. Larnievc

Larnievc Well-Known Member

+4,146
    Atheist
    Married
    UK-Labour
    It's common sense; normally something one learns are one grows older and wiser.

6. Rachel20

Rachel20 Well-Known Member

+805
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    If money is the issue, we should be opposing incarceration for all non-violent crimes. For those, we should just go back to the Biblical idea of restitution to the injured parties, rather than creating more victims by making us all pay for it.

7. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+3,720
    Atheist
    Yes, we should release non-violent offenders.

8. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    It speaks to the false choice given, either accept police violence and brutality, or receive no protection for the community. When you see this false choice, along with support for people Derek Chauvin, it truly typifies why BLM exists because it's obvious that Black people are seen as a threat that must remain subservient to "real Americans."

That's why they can look at the death of George Floyd and argue that the police officer's conduct was acceptable, i.e., resting a knee on the neck of a handcuffed man, but scream bloody murder at the shooting of Ashley Babbitt because, "She was unarmed!" Ignore the whole rioting thing because we all know the real threat is a handcuffed man on the ground. They will throw their full weight behind defense arguments like the crowd shouting for police officers to help George Floyd were a threat, but then argue that a violent mob breaking down barricaded doors while chanting about lynching are not a threat if they don't have guns. It typifies the belief that Black people are violent brutes that need to be subdued by police, while "real America" must have police as their servants.

If there ever was something that truly encapsulates American racism, it's the acceptance of this idea that police violence is okay when dealing with Black people. Such behavior would never be accepted for the majority racial group. All the time, we see justifications foisted for armed insurrection (e.g., Ammon Bundy and his acquittal). But the moment a Black person says anything in defense of their right to live, their life is forfeit.

We're told to accept police violence or no police, that is just a wild argument. Because at the end of the day, they cheer on police violence, so as long as it is only directed at Black people.

9. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+27,331
    Agnostic
    Single
    Which is precisely what makes it unconvincing.

Which is why I'm left to wonder whether such an attitude is based on racism or cowardice.

Do they really support the violence directed at black people... or are they just saying what they think they must to sure it's never directed at them?

10. ThatRobGuy

ThatRobGuy Part of the IT crowd Supporter

+10,326
    United States
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm personally not a fan of using legal costs as a justification for policy.

To be clear, there's definitely some policing policies I'd like to have changed. (qualified immunity is one that needs to go away)

But going with "whatever costs taxpayers a lot of money...or could result in a lawsuit, needs to go away" is basically putting money over pragmatic policy.

Policy changes need to be evaluated based on their own merits.

11. Trogdor the Burninator

Trogdor the Burninator Senior Veteran

+1,946
    Christian
    And I agree, but the issue is that the problem of police violence has been going on for decades, and very little has been done to stop it. So people are resorting to suing the government in order to enact change.

12. Semper-Fi

Semper-Fi Well-Known Member Supporter

+520
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The 61 cases include 33 that were dismissed,

[over half dismissed]

20 that were settled,

[no court case, why settle with payment]

and six where the city or the officer prevailed in court.

[six won there case]

Only two resulted in judgments at trial for the plaintiffs.

[in 8 years, out of 61, only 2 where lost]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. disciple Clint

disciple Clint Well-Known Member

+3,509
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    can you provide an example?

14. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+5,650
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    We can't because that would be theocratic. We will have to reference the Nordic idea that is the exact same thing because as as long as it isn't a Judeo Christian belief it seems that it is fine if it is based upon a religious belief.

I do believe that restitution is a much better solution than incarceration and incarceration should be reserved for violent offences like murder, rape, assault, rioting , robbery, burglary, looting or vandalism. Anyone that thinks burglary is non violent has never experienced it.

15. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,413
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Good luck with that. :doh:

16. Avniel

Avniel Doing my part each day by being the best me

+390
    Pentecostal
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I’m black I was robbed at knife point and I didn’t call anyone. I was also in a home invasion in my younger years, still did not call the police.

17. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

+281
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ok, then an argument could be made (if cost is the only metric) that we need to authorize the police to use more lethal force against criminals that commit crimes since the cost of incarceration is so high and recidivism is almost a certainty. The lifetime cost of a criminal to society is greater than the cost of a few accidental killings. Had the police shot Floyd when he was violently resisting (and been authorized to do so by the legal system), there would have been no rioting or trial.

I happen to agree that “cost” is a poor metric for making these decisions, but bullets are cheaper than prisons.

18. ewq1938

ewq1938 Age isn't a number. It's a three lettered word. Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+5,873
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    stay on topic posts deleted.jpg

19. SummerMadness

+11,577
    Catholic
    George Floyd wasn't violently resisting nor was he accidentally killed, he was murdered. I terms of saying more violence is needed to keep order, what is the correlate for that? Other countries seem to be far more peaceful and orderly without the police violence and corruption, so it seems making the country more of a police state is not the solution.

Besides that, this is tacit approval of police brutalizing innocent citizens.

20. variant

variant Happy Cat

+5,831
    Agnostic
    Single
    The cost has to be looked at relative to the actual benefits received. A cost/benefit analysis.

Having an overly brutal police forces costs society much more than the above analysis and has no added benefit. Single incidents can cause large amounts of social strife and increase distrust of policing in general.

Further, any such analysis of our overly costly prosecution of our overly punitive legal code will tell you that how we treat non-violent offenders especially doesn't really benefit society.

Models that focus on rehabilitation of such offenders do a better job insuring peace in society and cost less relatively.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.