YEC: Fairy tale or Biblical truth?

J

Jet Black

Badfish said:
But would change my view in light of new evidence, especially the elusive transitional stuff, and I mean some iron clad transitional specimens of men, there is still the missing link, correct?

but what about all the transitionals that we already have, or do you just want to find a cro magnon man wandering round in a forest somewhere? remember things go extinct. The evidence is all around us.... have you ever commented on Endogenous Retrovirual Sequences? and they are just one part of the puzzle.

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Jet Black said:
but what about all the transitionals that we already have, or do you just want to find a cro magnon man wandering round in a forest somewhere? remember things go extinct. The evidence is all around us.... have you ever commented on Endogenous Retrovirual Sequences? and they are just one part of the puzzle.

Finding a Cro magnon man would be pretty convincing actually. :)

No I haven't commented on the ERS, but I'll tell you what, I will search this forum and science forums and university/evolution science sites and books and honestly check it out, ok?

Its pretty much useless to defend YECism with you guys, and I can't prove the supernatural, so I'll do the next best thing and really study these subjects as time allows.

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Badfish - you shame me. I had you down as one of the incorrigible YECs, and I was wrong.

I don't think personallly the "missing link" is missing. There is a very good set of transitionals between the ape-like creatures of a few million years ago and modern man. There are gaps rather than "a gap", but that's what you might expect. The actual common chimp/human ancestor remains elusive, but its existence can be inferred from molecular evidence. We know, for example, that it must have had a chromosome no. of 2N=48. ;)

Interesting graph here - about half way down, headed "Does the fossil record document the origin of new species?" - http://www.aaas.org/spp/dser/evolution/perspectives/kennethmiller.shtml. It may interest you on the subject of human origins.

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Thanks Karl, well I think that I should be honest and take a step back and trust myself to seek knowledge about this instead of using Gods word literally all the time to uphold my position.

I've been thinking about this a while, I just thought I would let you guys know that I'm thinking about it.

I have found some good information and realistically it can't be honestly ignored, I tried, but there is a lot of evidence out there, and thats not including carbon dating which I'm still skeptical of, but thats because I only studied it for a year in college and my Physics teacher was a OECer, he was huge on the Entropy scene, he attends seminars and everything that has to do with entropy, his license plates say ENTROPY, LOL.

So that leads him to believe in a beginning and an ending and along with his faith I suppose our talks helped influence me that Carbon dating isn't totally accurate, and that concreted my beliefs that God was capable of supernatural creation, without the use of evolution, basically just reaffirmed my already YEC outlook..

So I'm going to take some of my own advice and research it. :) So don't expect me to be defending the YEC position too much, but sometimes maybe, remember I'm a fundie and still somewhat of a literalist, if something doesn't sound right, I guess it's natural to question it.

Upvote 0
J

Jet Black

Badfish said:
I have found some good information and realistically it can't be honestly ignored, I tried, but there is a lot of evidence out there, and thats not including carbon dating which I'm still skeptical of

qhat is it about Carbon dating that you are skeptical of? remember that all tools cannot be used in all circumstances; you can't use a metre rule to measure the width of a hair, and you can't use a micrometer to measure the length of your room!

Then you have to look at the environment and see if your tool is appropriate;

C14 dating relies on the ratios of atmospheric carbon, and this ratio is totally different from the ratio of carbon dissolved in water, so you can't use C14 dating to date the shell of an aquatic snail. also you have to watch out for other things, like limestone deposits and so on... so it really is a matter of looking at the whole picture and then deciding if something is an appropriate dating tool or not.

Upvote 0

MAC

Is of God's Grace
Apr 11, 2003
Stockton, Ca
Visit site
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a question?

If the words of God were not sufficient unto man to believe that in six day He made the heavens and the earth, what it would be?

Is not God out side of all He have created or He is subject to times and seasons?

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
MAC said:
I have a question?

If the words of God were not sufficient unto man to believe that in six day He made the heavens and the earth, what it would be?

A universe that appeared to be only 6,000 years old, as opposed to one that appears to be billions of years old.

Is not God out side of all He have created or He is subject to times and seasons?

What's that got to do with it?

Upvote 0

MAC

Is of God's Grace
Apr 11, 2003
Stockton, Ca
Visit site
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
A universe that appeared to be only 6,000 years old, as opposed to one that appears to be billions of years old.

What's that got to do with it?

Been God He would have done it in one day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MAC

Is of God's Grace
Apr 11, 2003
Stockton, Ca
Visit site
✟579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Karl - Liberal Backslider said:
Well, He could. Evidence is He didn't. Who are you to tell God how He should work?

No, I am not telling God anything! He is telling us! That there is neither beginning nor end in Him.

Upvote 0

Yinlowang

Scientia Est Potentia
Jun 17, 2002
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟7,703.00
Faith
Agnostic
ReUsAbLePhEoNiX said:
What about time dialation and Relativity, How Fast is God traveling relative to the observer on earth? If 1 day to God is equal to 1000 of our years, how fast would God be traveling relative too us?

If I remember the formula correctly God is going 0.999999999996242c.

Upvote 0

Vance

Contributor
Jul 16, 2003
✟23,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BTW, it does not say that anything specifically *is* a thousand years to God, just that it is "as" a thousand years. This simply means our perspective of time does not apply to God. I can't imagine any thinking person basing a belief around the idea that we must multiply something by a thousand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Siliconaut

Not to be confused with the other Norman Hartnell
Not to be nit-picky, but the poll has a serious error: "The universe is 4.5 billion years old" should probably read: "The earth is..."

The universe is quite a bit older, but it's keeping in shape well enough, thanks for asking. :)

Upvote 0

Siliconaut

Not to be confused with the other Norman Hartnell
@Vance:
BTW, it does not say that anything specifically *is* a thousand years to God, just that it is "as" a thousand years. This simply means our perspective of time does not apply to God. I can't imagine any thinking person basing a belief around the idea that we must multiply something by a thousand
I agree - this is just quote-mining the bible. This piece of scripture is not in the context of creation, so I would think one is safe to assume we're in metaphor-land.

Upvote 0