YEC: Fairy tale or Biblical truth?

ocean

Banned (just kidding)
Sep 25, 2002
van city
✟9,736.00
Faith
Agnostic
Is Young-Earth Creationism, the "theory" that says that God spontaneously created everything in six days 6,000 years ago, truth or fiction?

Personally, I believe it is fiction. There is too much evidence for an old earth and the evolutionary process that it simply can't be denied. I would love to be a Creationist. I would love to believe that God specially created us in our present form and that the entire universe was made for us, but that's just not true. It is my opinion that most YEC's believe as they do because it makes them 'feel good', not because there is any scientific evidence that backs up their position.

I am a Creationist in the sense that I believe God created, I just accept the scientific evidence instead of a literal reading of Genesis.

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think anyone believes something to make them feel-good. Everyone wants the truth. We just disagree on what it is sometimes.

I'm not sure, but, I don't ever recall Genesis' time period of creation to have been ever quoted by any of the rest of the Bible. It always said "God created the earth and the heavens", "God laid the foundations of the earth", and other vague statements. Jesus' only statement anything close to time in creationism was: "The sabbath was created for man, not man for the sabbath." Which actually tells us alot about his views on the subject. He was known for correcting the "old law", treating some scripture as "sayings" instead of divine words. Such as: "--You have heard that it was said--, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' --But I tell you--, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn him the other also." He seems to know that the scriptures were incorrect or corrupted by men in the past.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
According to the gallop polls 44% of the people believe in the YEC. 39% believe in theistic evolution. Only 10% believe in evolution without God being a part of it. http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/evolutionviews990816.html

I believe in the old world. But I believe the world we live in now is 13,970 years old, so we believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Michali said:
I don't think anyone believes something to make them feel-good. Everyone wants the truth. We just disagree on what it is sometimes.

I believe we should live right in order to feel good. Wrong living can effect our health and our general feeling of well being.

Upvote 0
T

T.R.D.

JohnR7 said:
I believe in the old world. But I believe the world we live in now is 13,970 years old, so we believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis.

13,970 years is not very old compared to the scientific age of the earth. So that would make you a YEC.

Where dic you get that number from? Most YEC's believe the earth is 6,000 years old.

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
T.R.D. said:
13,970 years is not very old compared to the scientific age of the earth. So that would make you a YEC.

Where dic you get that number from? Most YEC's believe the earth is 6,000 years old.

I think that is also YEC.

I guess John's belief is that a day= 1000 years in creation. As was stated by Peter. Personally I think Peter was displaying God's patience and regard toward time itself. I don't mean to say that I am YE or OE by this.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
T.R.D. said:

6000 years is if you consider a day in Genesis to be a literal 24 hour day. Moses says a day to God is 1000 years to us. So that would make the age of the world we now live in 13,970 years of age. Adam and Eve and the Garden of Eden were created 6000 years ago.

Some people come up with 12,970 years ago. But I believe Adam and Eve were created on the 8 th day. The male and female that was created on the 6 th day was given the whole earth. Adam and Eve were placed in the Garden of Eden.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Michali said:
I think that is also YEC.

I guess John's belief is that a day= 1000 years in creation. As was stated by Peter. Personally I think Peter was displaying God's patience and regard toward time itself. I don't mean to say that I am YE or OE by this.

Moses also said a day to God is 1000 years.

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

Upvote 0

Michali

Teleologist
Aug 1, 2003
Florida
✟10,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
JohnR7 said:
Moses also said a day to God is 1000 years.

Psalm 90:4
For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

I thought I had read that somewhere, but NIV says:

"For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, OR like a watch in the night."

If this were true, then a complete day and night is 2,000 years. I'm glad you posted that because I checked in my Bible and just noticed that. Are we on the brink of even another time? 24,000+?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Most biblical scholars agree that the "1 day is 1000 years to god" verse means that time has no meaning to god. 1000 years was picked as an nice round arbitrary long amount of time, to get the point across.
It does Not literally mean that 1 day to god is 1000 of our years.
Unless of course, God is something in our universe, that can be effected by time. :)

Upvote 0

ReUsAbLePhEoNiX

Liberated from SinComplex
Jun 24, 2003
Earth, MilkyWay Galaxy
Visit site
✟10,562.00
Faith
Taoist
Arikay said:
Most biblical scholars agree that the "1 day is 1000 years to god" verse means that time has no meaning to god. 1000 years was picked as an nice round arbitrary long amount of time, to get the point across.
It does Not literally mean that 1 day to god is 1000 of our years.
Unless of course, God is something in our universe, that can be effected by time. :)
ya I know that, remember I grew up YEC, I am only curious how to determine the Speed of God if 1 day from a earth observer is a 1000 years to a God moving ( away or toward?) at a constant rate

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
In my opinion, option 4: "The earth is 6,000-10,000 years old, and I would change my position in light of new scientific evidence" is meaningless. The scientific evidence for an old earth is beyond overwhelming. It was overwhelming 200 years ago.

Upvote 0

Happy Wonderer

Militant Unbeliever
Aug 21, 2003
Here
Visit site
✟7,793.00
JohnR7 said:
According to the gallop polls 44% of the people believe in the YEC. 39% believe in theistic evolution. Only 10% believe in evolution without God being a part of it.

It should be pointed out that the poll referred to people in the United States -- the point of the article was how the US differs from the rest of the world. Other countries have much better science education.

hw

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟21,317.00
Faith
Taoist
Yeah I know, I was mentioning it to Johns post, I just didnt quote :). That is an interesting question.

ReUsAbLePhEoNiX said:
ya I know that, remember I grew up YEC, I am only curious how to determine the Speed of God if 1 day from a earth observer is a 1000 years to a God moving ( away or toward?) at a constant rate

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
T.R.D. said:

Actually I share this similar view, I can't be honest to myself and believe without some question that the earth is 6000 years old, there is too much evidence, I am leaning towards an old earth, renewed or rejuvenated for Gods spontaneous creation of man. However I must add that I don't discount Gods supernatural abilities to create in a 6 to 12 thousand year time span. It just looks like the earth is older, and am not going to be rhetorical and say it's not because I haven't found evidence to the contrary.

I could believe the earth is even older than Johns number, possibly millions of years older, I mean if Gods eternal, then who knows what he did with the earth before man, maybe he made stuff and then abandoned the earth for other projects? Maybe he did have ape-men here and dinosaurs just goofing off. But right now I don't believe that todays man evolved the way it is theorized today..

But would change my view in light of new evidence, especially the elusive transitional stuff, and I mean some iron clad transitional specimens of men, there is still the missing link, correct?

So I vote that I'm a YEC and would change my view in light of new and compelling evidence.

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Philosoft said:
In my opinion, option 4: "The earth is 6,000-10,000 years old, and I would change my position in light of new scientific evidence" is meaningless. The scientific evidence for an old earth is beyond overwhelming. It was overwhelming 200 years ago.

Not to people that believe that God is beyond and capable of doing everything in that time span, given superaccelerated creation of the Universe, its possible.

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Happy Wonderer said:
It should be pointed out that the poll referred to people in the United States -- the point of the article was how the US differs from the rest of the world. Other countries have much better science education.

hw

I thought the US was a leader in this and other related sciences?

Upvote 0