Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's really the same thing, that God was not the one declaring these things. I'll change what I said, "No, Jesus was quoting what David said Asaph said, not what God said. The "I" is Asaph."
Who is/was Asaph and when did he ever say that men were gods and when did he have the authority to say that men were gods?
And your response doesn't address God judging vs. one and speaking/judging beginning with vs. 2. The writer of the psalm does not speak until vs. 8.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who is/was Asaph

That can be googled.

and when did he ever say that men were gods

He says he said it. He doesn't say when but it is past tense to the statement in question.

and when did he have the authority to say that men were gods?

Apparently he had the authority to claim it but that doesn't make it true.

And your response doesn't address God judging vs. one and speaking/judging beginning with vs. 2. The writer of the psalm does not speak until vs. 8.

The writer is the only one speaking in the entire Psalm, and the next.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gen 3:22a . . And the Lord God said: Now that Man has become as one of us

Humanity was created in the image and likeness of God (Gen 1:26-27). But that image and likeness stopped short of "one of us". i.e. a fellow deity of equal status.

In other words; Man made himself a fellow deity of equal status by placing his own wants ahead of his creator's.

From the limited amount of information we're given, it's readily seen that it's fairly easy to make one's self a deity; it's only necessary to rebel against constituted authority; viz: go your own way instead of complying with the laws, rules, and dictates of a higher power; viz: anarchy. (cf. Judg 17:6 and Isa 53:6)

Ps 82:6 . . I said: You are gods.

In the Bible there are two categories of gods: the true and the false. There is no middle ground sandwiched between those two categories; just as there is no middle ground between the foolish and the wise, and/or the righteous and the unrighteous, and/or the good and the bad, and/or the guilty and the innocent, and/or the honorable and the shameful.

According to Jesus, there is but one true god (John 17:3). In other words: there exists no other true god; though there be many that are called gods. (1Cor 8:5-6)

Also, true gods are immortal whereas the gods addressed in the Psalm are not. (Ps 82:7)

So then, we may safely conclude that the gods spoken of on Ps 82:6 are false gods.

The four given characteristics of a false god are 1) they skew justice, 2) they're partial, 3) they're capable of walking over the bones of disadvantaged folk, and 4) they don't conduct themselves in accord with Bible scruples and standards.
_

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Gen 3:22a . . And the Lord God said: Now that Man has become as one of us

Humanity was created in the image and likeness of God (Gen 1:26-27). But that image and likeness stopped short of "one of us". i.e. a fellow deity of equal status.

In other words; Man made himself a fellow deity of equal status by placing his own wants ahead of his creator's.

From the limited amount of information we're given, it's readily seen that it's fairly easy to make one's self a deity; it's only necessary to rebel against constituted authority; viz: go your own way instead of complying with the laws, rules, and dictates of a higher power; viz: anarchy. (cf. Judg 17:6 and Isa 53:6)

Ps 82:6 . . I said: You are gods.

In the Bible there are two categories of gods: the true and the false. There is no middle ground sandwiched between those two categories; just as there is no middle ground between the foolish and the wise, and/or the righteous and the unrighteous, and/or the good and the bad, and/or the guilty and the innocent, and/or the honorable and the shameful.

According to Jesus, there is but one true god (John 17:3). In other words: there exists no other true god; though there be many that are called gods. (1Cor 8:5-6)

Also, true gods are immortal whereas the gods addressed in the Psalm are not. (Ps 82:7)

So then, we may safely conclude that the gods spoken of on Ps 82:6 are false gods.

The four given characteristics of a false god are 1) they skew justice, 2) they're partial, 3) they're capable of walking over the bones of disadvantaged folk, and 4) they don't conduct themselves in accord with Bible scruples and standards.
_

IMO the ye are gods thing is just a reference to governmental rulership. Which is ordained by God. I think it has seriously been misappropriated by certain TV evangelists who line their own pockets with the donations they recieve.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?

It seems Jesus is referring to this:

I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7

And I think it means angels or archangels, or possible human rulers. Because it says “dies like men”, I think it is not about humans. And especially I think it is not speaking of all people.

In OT there are many that are called gods. Even Moses was god to pharaoh, because he spoke what God told him to speak. Person who acts/speaks in the name of God, can be seen as god on earth. It does not mean that the person is actual God, because as the Bible tells, there is only one true God.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the characteristics of gods is they typically practice proprietary codes of right and wrong. For example: when Adam tasted the forbidden fruit, something happened that made him become his own moral compass in matters of right and wrong: i.e. he became a god.

Gen 3:22 . . Jehovah God said: The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil.

That's no doubt why the US Supreme Court seldom ever agrees on anything.

I've suspected for some time now that when the Christians who make the cut get to Heaven they will be immediately shuttled off to a Bible camp where they will be fully indoctrinated with the real truth so that when they're released into Heaven's gen pop (general population) there will be no debating and/or quarreling among themselves as to the correct way to interpret the scriptures.
_

Upvote 0