Visit site
✟102,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Possibly, it’s unknown what kind of supernatural powers we may have in the resurrection.
The conversation with the Jews was not about any future supernatural powers one may possess in the resurrection. Jesus was referred to Psalm 82 to remind the Jewish leaders that they were gods, in the sense of they had been given authority to teach the Mosaic Law and rule over the people, but had failed in their responsibility to do so. Whereas Jesus, on the other hand, taught the Law properly.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
The conversation with the Jews was not about any future supernatural powers one may possess in the resurrection. Jesus was referred to Psalm 82 to remind the Jewish leaders that they were gods, in the sense of they had been given authority to teach the Mosaic Law and rule over the people, but had failed in their responsibility to do so. Whereas Jesus, on the other hand, taught the Law properly.

No, Jesus was explaining our identity both prior to the resurrection and after. Jesus said in Matthew 22 that in the resurrection we will be like the angels. So it’s clear that as gods we will have supernatural powers.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, Jesus was explaining our identity both prior to the resurrection and after. Jesus said in Matthew 22 that in the resurrection we will be like the angels. So it’s clear that as gods we will have supernatural powers.
We will just have to agree to disagree. The context of John 10:34 in conjunction with Psalm 82:6 is not about the future resurrection or what our bodies and "powers" will be like. Plus, Jesus wasn't talking to born again Christians, but Jewish leaders looking to kill Him for claiming equality with God. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0

Union With Christ

Nov 17, 2020
Boise
✟2,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
We will just have to agree to disagree. The context of John 10:34 in conjunction with Psalm 82:6 is not about the future resurrection or what our bodies and "powers" will be like. Plus, Jesus wasn't talking to born again Christians, but Jewish leaders looking to kill Him for claiming equality with God. Grace and Peace.

Psalm 82:6 is talking about our status as gods. This status will remain in effect after the resurrection as children of God as we shall be like him.

Jesus was talking to human beings. The Psalm 82:6 passage really has nothing to do with the Jews. It is a message to humanity in general concerning our status as gods.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All the hard work of Divine Providence and omnipotent doings is really not my concern. What would I do with omnipotence? I don't need it. I need the Divine love. I'm fine with being a simplistic little thing existing in God. But that does not mean that I am not his child.

In fact I don't think humans realize how much of a sucker they are when they have pet cats and dogs and when they take care of children. But adults derive their satisfaction as well. My existence is based on God taking pleasure in and loving me. My power is to love God back.

Most people get a wrong idea when they think about God. Power is worthless compared to his main attributes. God's omni's are in service for his love. He needs power to restrain evil ones and to correct them, but in divine Perfection there is no such need.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luk 18:7 And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?

God doesn't 'bear long' with the faithful; 'He avenges them speedily' - from God's perspective, this only happened a couple of days ago (Psalms 90:4, 2Pet 3:8) :)

Luk 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
What if your interpretations are wrong?

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
not sure what you're asking
I’m asking what if your wrong about your interpretations? Is what your saying in some of your posts on this topic your opinion on scripture or do you know for sure what your saying is truth?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It’s obviously not talking to humans because all humans die, and it would be redundant to tell a human “you will die like men”.

Not if those humans had a God-complex and thought of themselves as Gods. That was somewhat common in those days. In modern English it would be more like, Ye are "gods" but you will die like mortal men (because you are mortal men and not actually gods).

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I’m asking what if your wrong about your interpretations? Is what your saying in some of your posts on this topic your opinion on scripture or do you know for sure what your saying is truth?

how would you define 'know for sure'? do you mean 'can i prove what i believe via some scientific method?'?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So where does David say, "Ye are gods."? All I see is, "I have said, 'Ye are gods.'"

There isn't a difference. He is saying that he has in the past said, "Ye are gods" and here he reminds the readers that this is not the first time he has said this. Whether it's true or not is what we are debating. I think he is saying it in sarcasm but the Pharisees didn't understand that so Christ uses it against them so they can't condemn him for saying he is the son of God.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus quoted God speaking and saying "I said you were gods..."

No, Jesus was quoting what David said not what God said. The "I" is David.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
well, my name ain't Jesus, so... :)
Have you ever wondered what if you happen to be wrong and all the people you may have influenced because they thought by the way you spoke you were sure?

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever wondered what if you happen to be wrong and all the people you may have influenced because they thought by the way you spoke you were sure?

i do feel i had (and still have) the witness of the Holy Spirit before i posted

you first - how do you answer your question?

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
i do feel i had (and still have) the witness of the Holy Spirit before i posted

you first - how do you answer your question?

Well my goal is to first try and ask myself do I know what I’m talking about or do I just think I know what I’m talking about. If I know that means I can show someone my own objective experience that I seen myself. Even then they may not be able to experience it so they would probably wanna be skeptical since I can’t show them. And if I only think I know then I would hope I have matured enough to not act like I know on the first place so I wouldn’t be leading anyway wrong because I was honest enough to tell them I wasn’t sure.... now your turn lol

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well my goal is to first try and ask myself do I know what I’m talking about or do I just think I know what I’m talking about. If I know that means I can show someone my own objective experience that I seen myself. Even then they may not be able to experience it so they would probably wanna be skeptical since I can’t show them. And if I only think I know then I would hope I have matured enough to not act like I know on the first place so I wouldn’t be leading anyway wrong because I was honest enough to tell them I wasn’t sure.... now your turn lol

let me repeat that back so you can let me know if i misunderstood:

-you try to think before you act to determine if you know what you're talking about, or just think you know what you're talking about;
i also try to do this

-you base knowing on your "own objective experience";
i do not - to me, knowing can only be based on certain knowledge that can be proven via scientific method; else i don't know, but believe. there is no way that i'm aware of to scientifically prove who was speaking in Psalms 82:2-7 - do you know of a way?

-if you only think you know, you don't act as if you know anyhow, to avoid misleading someone;
if i don't think i believe what i'm about to say, i don't speak - that way no one can be misled

but did you answer the question you asked me? (i'm not certain what you're asking here, but your answer will no doubt help me to understand):

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
let me repeat that back so you can let me know if i misunderstood:

-you try to think before you act to determine if you know what you're talking about, or just think you know what you're talking about;
i also try to do this

-you base knowing on your "own objective experience";
i do not - to me, knowing can only be based on certain knowledge that can be proven via scientific method; else i don't know, but believe. there is no way that i'm aware of to scientifically prove who was speaking in Psalms 82:2-7 - do you know of a way?

-if you only think you know, you don't act as if you know anyhow, to avoid misleading someone;
if i don't think i believe what i'm about to say, i don't speak - that way no one can be misled

but did you answer the question you asked me? (i'm not certain what you're asking here, but your answer will no doubt help me to understand):

I have wondered about conversations I have had in the past absolutely. Now I don’t really claim to know much im more aware of how much I don’t know honestly lol. I read a lot on the forum of people saying “what Jesus means” or “Paul was actually saying this” or “clearly the context is this”... but none of them actually know what they are talking about. They think they know or they believe they have interpreted correctly. It’s not that serious I guess I just like discussing about such things because it seems maybe this is one of the problems that caused divisions. Everyone thinks they have figured it all out.

Upvote 0