Wrong Implication?

Mekkala

Ungod Almighty
Dec 23, 2003
✟8,543.00
Faith
Atheist
leecappella said:
When somone says, "It's the christian thing to do!", referring to someone doing a good deed or deeds towards another, doesn't this seemingly imply, to some people, that only christians do good or righteous deeds?

It does. And at times it's hard not to be offended, but then I remember that they don't really mean it that way, so I don't let it worry me too much.

Upvote 0

an7222

Rational morality is a must
Jul 5, 2002
Visit site
✟1,497.00
Faith
Atheist
leecappella said:
When somone says, "It's the christian thing to do!", referring to someone doing a good deed or deeds towards another, doesn't this seemingly imply, to some people, that only christians do good or righteous deeds?
In my point of view, it's a form of prejudice against those that are not christians, as if christian's attitudes where somehow better than the attitudes of the others.

Upvote 0

CrossWiseMag

Sep 30, 2004
✟555.00
Faith
Lutheran
Actually, it implies that, but in the wrong way. Christians should not be held up as "doers of good deeds," as if it's the doing that makes them Christian. Christians are good, not because of the things they do, but because of the things Christ did. Any "good" that comes from a Christian is merely an extension of that forgiveness Christ has shown in His grace. At its core, the most "Christian" thing to do, after all, is to sin, repent, and be forgiven. That's not what the world holds up as "Christian."

The fact of the matter is, only a Christian can please God, and even then, not by himself. We are so dead in sin that even a Christian's best works are "filthy rags," as Isaiah says. So no matter the outward appearance of a "work," it is not good when done outside Christ.

Upvote 0

Drifster

Sep 26, 2004
✟270.00
Faith
Baptist
leecappella said:
Define a Christian? A person who believes in Jesus's teachings and follows the moral path set by the bible?...So if a situation comes to hand where a person needs to make a choice between right or wrong, a true Christian would reflect on WWJD (what would Jesus do?)....and then do the right thing... ( the Christian thing) it's not a prejudice against anyone else.

Upvote 0

CrossWiseMag

Sep 30, 2004
✟555.00
Faith
Lutheran
Part of my point is that even as Christians, we don't alwas stop to reflect on "WWJD." And Christianity isn't all about WWJD anyway. It's about WDJD: "What Did Jesus Do?" He died on the cross so that we could be forgiven for the sinfulness that continues to cling to us until we are perfected at the end of this earthly life.

It's not a perjudice against anyone to say that only Christians can "please God," because I'm also quick to point out that even Christians cannot "please God" except through the perfection which belongs to Christ and is credited to our account. If a Christian gives $1,000,000 to charity, there may very well be a part of that action that is done to impress those around him. That's sinful, but it's forgiven in Christ because that person is a Christian. The Bible is equally clear that all people who do not have Christ's righteousness credited to them are not able to do any good works before God, although they might very well be able to fulfill a "civil righteousness" before men.

Upvote 0

ukok

Freaked out, insecure, neurotic and Emotional
Mar 1, 2003
England
Visit site
✟19,706.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't think i've ever said that myself, nor do i much care for the phrase . I don't think, however, that it is intended to imply that 'only' Christian's can do good (though i can appreciate that it might come across that way)...just that we are expected to live our live's in charity and compassion...and that if we are to do so we are doing 'the Christian thing'...though many of us still need some fine tuning in that department.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
leecappella said:
No, it implies it's something Christians should do, but doesn't limit it to Christians. For example, saiing "Vote -- it's the Republican thing to do" doesn't mean Democrats can't or shouldn't vote.

I like the Jewish/Yiddish term "mitzvah" instead of good deed. It's much more earthy and less high-falutin'. Anybody anywhere anytime can do a mitzvah.

Upvote 0

CSMR

Totally depraved
Nov 6, 2003
Oxford, UK & Princeton, USA
Visit site
✟3,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
leecappella said:
I would be happy with the use of the word to mean going to services, reading the bible, taking communion, or things like that. It is not used this way however, and in its normal use makes the very wrong identification christian=good.

Upvote 0

FadingWhispers3

Senior Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
✟19,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Politics
US-Others
I would like to point out that in the parable of the Good Samaritan, it was not the Jewish religious leaders who helped the man in need. The Jews religious leaders are allegorical of christians. The Samaritan being allegocial of a non-believer. In the end it was a non-believer who is immortalized in the parable as the one who loved his neighbor as himself.

As such to imply that only christians do good is to argue with the very words of Christ: an absurdity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
CrossWiseMag said:
The fact of the matter is, only a Christian can please God, and even then, not by himself. We are so dead in sin that even a Christian's best works are "filthy rags," as Isaiah says. So no matter the outward appearance of a "work," it is not good when done outside Christ.
I so disagree with this. This is seemingly the mindset my initial quesiton originated from. Only a christian can please God? I don't think so. Everyone who practices righteousness is of God. 'Everyone' is an all inclusive word. It is not limited to only christians. Your actions outweigh your words and beliefs. Instead of living in word and tongue, one should live in action, righteously.

Upvote 0

CrossWiseMag

Sep 30, 2004
✟555.00
Faith
Lutheran
It doesn't matter whether you disagree with it. The Bible is pretty clear that NONE of us can even approach God--let alone please Him--because of our sin. Even for Christians, the only hope is in Christ's righteousness, not our own.

Christians are not "better" than anyone else. They simply have Christ to mediate for them. It is in that sense that their actions are viewed as righteous--not because of some inherent goodness in the Christian himself.

Paul says anything we do "without faith is sin." And Isaiah says that even our righteous acts are "filthy rags."

You say "everyone who practices righteousness is of God." This is true. But none of us practices righteousness before God. The Bible is very clear on that point. "There is no one who does good--no, not even one." Even Christians cannot practice righteousness outside of the righteousness of Christ. It is in this sense that I say only a Christian can do good--and even then, it is Christ's goodness given to the Christian.

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
leecappella said:

Just in reading that I also thought "it's also like claiming credit for all good deeds" or something to that effect.

That's all, just suddenly popped into my head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

leecappella

<font size="3&quot ;>DO
Mar 28, 2003
Visit site
✟8,633.00
Faith
Christian
CrossWiseMag: It doesn't matter whether you disagree with it. The Bible is pretty clear that NONE of us can even approach God--let alone please Him--because of our sin. Even for Christians, the only hope is in Christ's righteousness, not our own.

me: That is true. I never disputed that. Anyone can approach God now because of what Christ did for us on the cross. That's my point! You don't have to be a christian to come to God in relationship. No doubt, Jesus died in our place and made the way to relationship with God despite our continuous sins, but this does not mean one has to be a christian to be accepted of God in relationship.

CrossWise: Christians are not "better" than anyone else. They simply have Christ to mediate for them. It is in that sense that their actions are viewed as righteous--not because of some inherent goodness in the Christian himself.

me: That's good to know. I think maybe we agree here. However, I don't find that one has to be a christian to be viewed as righteous by God. Because Christ died for all (christian or not), anyone who practices righteousness is of God. Anyone who does this is partnered with God in the light because God is in the light and righteousness is found only in the light, not the darkness. Were Lot or Abraham christians?

CrossWise: You say "everyone who practices righteousness is of God." This is true.

me: Are you saying that one does not have to be a christian to practice righteousness? 'Everyone' does mean everyone and not only those who are christians, doesn't it?

Crosswise: But none of us practices righteousness before God.

me: Sure we do. God simply sees what we are doing, and because such acts of righteousness are godly, God sees what Christ did for us and calls us righteous because we seek relationship with him (God). We do have to take part in choosing to do those things that are righteous. I'm sure that means something to God when we intentionally seek to do righteous things. I would agree that all credit should go to God for our righteous deeds, but we still do them in partnership or alliance with those things that are of God.

CrossWise: "There is no one who does good--no, not even one." Even Christians cannot practice righteousness outside of the righteousness of Christ. It is in this sense that I say only a Christian can do good--and even then, it is Christ's goodness given to the Christian.

me: It is Christ's goodness given to whomever. Whether labeled christian or not. That's how I've come to see it. People practiced righteousness way before Christ came and they were seen as righteous nonetheless.

Upvote 0