Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She was further under his skin than anyone could have imagined. He called Sarah a pig. ^_^ LOL! Oh I can't wait to hear the spin on this one.
You can catch the full story on Politico. Oh did he step in it!

Obama Says A Pig With Lipstick Is Still A Pig

Mccain said the same thing about Clinton, almost verbatim. It is an expression, and it is fair to use. It could be called political satire. Come on community organizer = black, hahahaha that is so funny, I forgot to laugh.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Regardless of the intent, you have to admit it was a very poor choice of analogies given the circumstances.

Perhaps. But it was no insult and definitely wasn't "innuendo".
Ringo

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Regardless of the intent, you have to admit it was a very poor choice of analogies given the circumstances.

like the poor choice of words that people use in regards to Obama, his name, his former job, the fact that he is different.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No he said it wouldn't work.

Do you think someone that said the war is a mistake from the beginning would want us to waste more time and lives there. That is his viewpoint, Iraq=mistake, Afghanistan=right war.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's also hypocritical. He said the surge wouldn't work in Iraq, so why would it work in Afganhistan?

Like the majority of the American public, Barack Obama is well-aware that despite Republican mantras, the Iraq War was the wrong-place at the wrong-time. That it distracted the American armed forces from achieving success in a very real and pressing combat zone that we were already losing some of our best in.

Per the Washington Post

The Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman, Adm Mike Mullen, in an interview last night with PBS's "NewsHour," said he shares Obama's assessment that the situation in Afghanistan is "precarious and urgent." The 10,000 additional troops needed there, he said, would not be available "in any significant manner" unless there are withdrawals from Iraq. For now, he said, "my priorities . . . given to me by the commander in chief are: Focus on Iraq first. It's been that way for some time. Focus on Afghanistan second."

In other words, during the surge, military leaders expressed their need for additional combat troops in Afghanistan which were unavailable at that point, at least partially due to increased deployments to Iraq as part of the 'surge'. The American public has become aware that Afghanistan represents a much-neglected war, and both presidential candidates are pledging more commitment to this conflict... something Republicans were unwilling to do despite requests from top-level military commanders.

-----

Was Obama concerned about the surge's potential to result in more American deaths and potentially even further destabilize a fractured country? Certainly. Was Obama concerned about the surge's high cost to American taxpayers and potentially limited or even negative return? Indeed. Was Obama aware that shifting more combat troops to Iraq would leave Afghanistan neglected, as military commanders stated? Definitely. Will Obama have to make up for Republican neglect of this conflict, a pot that Republicans left to simmer when we should have fought for victory since day 1? Unfortunately. But Obama's a bright fellow, and I trust his judgment in making sound and nuanced decisions that will resolve these conflicts during his administration.

Upvote 0
U

USMC4Life

Do you think someone that said the war is a mistake from the beginning would want us to waste more time and lives there. That is his viewpoint, Iraq=mistake, Afghanistan=right war.

He didn't say that, he said it wouldn't work. Stop trying to hide the fact he is a total hypocrite. He said it wouldn't work because "there is no military solution in Iraq," well guess what it worked and now he is saying we need a surge in Afgahnistan, he's stealing McCain's idea!

Its quite funny Democrats are talking about Afghanistan, when all the democrats did about Al Qaeda was leave them alone and go and help terrorists in Kosovo bomb Christian Serbs and help fabricate a "genocide."

Great job democrats, YOU GUYS DID NOTHING FOR 8 YEARS BUT HELP THEM!

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
He didn't say that, he said it wouldn't work. Stop trying to hide the fact he is a total hypocrite. He said it wouldn't work because "there is no military solution in Iraq," well guess what it worked and now he is saying we need a surge in Afgahnistan, he's stealing McCain's idea!

Well blimey... if the Republicans had listened to our military commanders, we'd have had a surge in Afghanistan two years ago... unfortunately, this party has a very difficult time remembering the difference between the bully down the street and the pimple-nosed kid who egged their little sister. And unfortunately, that means that more US troops died as we muddled about that country without a presence strong-enough to make a real difference against a strengthening Taliban.

By contrast, Obama showed the insight and comprehension of global affairs to recognize that we needed a larger commitment in Afghanistan (maybe he just listened to our military commanders - somebody needs to), and since the surge has been pushing US policymakers to rethink their troop deployments and put troops into Afghanistan where they are still needed to put muscle in the right fight.

Upvote 0
U

USMC4Life

Well blimey... if the Republicans had listened to our military commanders, we'd have had a surge in Afghanistan two years ago... unfortunately, this party has a very difficult time remembering the difference between the bully down the street and the pimple-nosed kid who egged their little sister. And unfortunately, that means that more US troops died as we muddled about that country without a presence strong-enough to make a real difference against a strengthening Taliban.

By contrast, Obama showed the insight and comprehension of global affairs to recognize that we needed a larger commitment in Afghanistan (maybe he just listened to our military commanders - somebody needs to), and since the surge has been pushing US policymakers to rethink their troop deployments and put troops into Afghanistan where they are still needed to put muscle in the right fight.

Perhaps Petraeus isn't a commander, or atleast one you can use to your benefit.

Upvote 0

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

During George Bush's first term, there was one face that I felt I could trust in that administration - Colin Powell. I had a profound respect for him as the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the Gulf War. That led to later disappointments... but it's been a well documented fact that Republicans have paid little heed to their own military commanders for years now.

Now that we've heard a little bit the administration ignored from Admiral Mullen, let's try his predecessor - General Peter Pace (from your own branch, though I imagine you're perfectly aware of this).

From the Washington Post:

When UPI's Pam Hess asked about torture by Iraqi authorities, Rumsfeld replied that "obviously, the United States does not have a responsibility" other than to voice disapproval.

But Pace had a different view. "It is the absolute responsibility of every U.S. service member, if they see inhumane treatment being conducted, to intervene, to stop it," the general said.

Let's bring back Republican neglect of Afghanistan a little bit too... "It is not as clear in Afghanistan which Iranian entity is responsible but we have intercepted weapons in Afghanistan headed for the Taliban that were made in Iran." - Peter Pace

And heck, in the era when Republicans were heralding victories and missions accomplished... referring to the American War in Iraq: "we are not winning, but we are not losing". Confounded quagmires.

He now is the Chairman for the board of Pelican Products, which incidentally makes the flashlight I use at work.

Incidentally, I thought the bio of Gen Pace made an interesting read... but it once again illustrates a pattern of Republicans ignoring Afghanistan despite the better advice of their military commanders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Perhaps not yours either, Gen. Conway - I've no doubt your familiar with the name - doesn't agree with Petraeus either.

The Christian Science Monitor:

Last week, Gen. James Conway, commandant of the Marine Corps, made a public plea for some of his 25,000 marines in Anbar Province in Iraq, to be redeployed home so the service can send more Marines to Afghanistan as soon as early next year.

Once the core of the Sunni insurgency, Anbar has been quiet for more than a year. But there has been resistance within the American command in Baghdad to redeploy those marines in any significant number.
General Conway was as blunt as he was politic in his public statement, essentially taking Petraeus to task for his caution in redeploying troops out of Iraq.

"He's the first four-star who has openly challenged Dave Petraeus's view of Iraq," says one official close to the debate on troop levels within the government.

Earlier, under then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, some in uniform griped that they didn't have enough power to successfully run the war. Under Defense Secretary Robert Gates, generals have been given more authority.

http: www-csmonitor-com 2008 0904 p01s02-usfp .html

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I cannot believe what is on the man's IPOD is even fodder for or try's to pass as Political discussion.
I agree. It's almost as bad as using a candidates' daughters' boyfriends' MySpace page, about which we have two threads and counting. ;)

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
McCain referenced the "lipstick on a pig" metaphor when he was talking about Hillary's health care proposal last year. If Obama supposedly insulted Palin by calling her a pig, does that mean McCain insulted Hillary the same way?
Ringo
Maybe this will make it easier for some people to understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZd_Y_D-RaA

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. It's almost as bad as using a candidates' daughters' boyfriends' MySpace page, about which we have two threads and counting. ;)

Yea, but that myspace page is high on the comedy.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Google news is great this morning. A search on:

pig, lipstick, Palin, Obama

Brings up lots of denials by Democrats. Biden had to deny he meant what he said when he tied the Palin family into stem cell research too.

Never seen a campaign which asked itself and then tried to answer the question "When did I stop beating my wife?" before.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.