Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He followed it up with a 'fish' idiom, as well. Seems like a bit more than a coincidence to me.
It's funny how in 2006 our left leaning friends failed to grasp the metaphor when Romney referred to a construction project as a tar baby

Upvote 0

RacismIsBad

Mar 17, 2007
✟3,260.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
McCain Said "Lipstick" Too

The McCain/Palin campaign is blasting Barack Obama for using the phrase "lipstick on a pig" when talking about the Republicans' message of change. Sarah Palin's supporters say the remark was clearly an insult aimed at her. But Slate found footage of John McCain from earlier this year in which he uses the very same phrase to put down Hillary Clinton's health care plan. "I don't like to use this term," McCain told the audience at a May town hall event in Denver, "but the latest proposal I see is putting lipstick on a pig."

:yawn:

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,990.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

The McCain/Palin campaign is blasting Barack Obama for using the phrase "lipstick on a pig" when talking about the Republicans' message of change. Sarah Palin's supporters say the remark was clearly an insult aimed at her. But Slate found footage of John McCain from earlier this year in which he uses the very same phrase to put down Hillary Clinton's health care plan. "I don't like to use this term," McCain told the audience at a May town hall event in Denver, "but the latest proposal I see is putting lipstick on a pig."

Yep. The left returned jabs and now they are even on this subject.

Now if McCain would only admit to being a Muslim :D

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yep. I found the same thing from a Washington Post story. I guess it's only "innuendo" and "insulting" if a Democrat says it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Sojourner1

Following my Shepherd
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2004
California
✟498,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this. I think whoever wrote his speech oughta get fired. Every pundit has been playing the "bulldog...lipstick" sound byte. It's not actually that common of a phrase. I've heard it exactly twice: the first time when McCain used it (inappropriately) and now (inappropriately again).

I agree. They both used it inappropriately. I'm guessing that Obama is rethinking whether or not he should have used it at all. I also wonder if he will use it again during his campaign.

And just for fun....

lipstick_pig.jpg

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree. They both used it inappropriately. I'm guessing that Obama is rethinking whether or not he should have used it at all. I also wonder if he will use it again during his campaign.

And just for fun....

lipstick_pig.jpg

Yep, still a pig!! ^_^

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Referring to a proposal as a pig is not the same as referring to a person as a pig :wave:

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Isn't this kinda like when everyone thought he flipped Hillary off during an interview? I never thought he did that, because A) he's not that dumb.
I believe it's the same thing here.
I believe it was an incredibly poor choice of metaphors, but I don't think he is dumb enough to use the metaphor specifically to call Palin a pig.

His audience got it. The shouts of glee were exactly what we heard from the pews when Jeremiah Wright did his act. Associated Press got it and said the reference was clearly to Sarah. Action News around the county got it as they are showing Sarah making her Hockey Mom Lipstick joke and then showing Obama making his pig with lipstick analogy.

Did you see there were 3 lipstick allusions made by Democrats today? Had to be a talking point the campaign put out in reaction to Palin's Hockey Mom Joke. Guy who introduced Biden, Michelle Obama and Barack all used lipstick (in differing ways) to make a point against the McCain-Palin.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good for him. Correct if injudicious.

*Edit*

I am most disappointed he didn't call her a pig at all. He just used a metaphor and it seems that some people haven't the intelligence to understand what that means.

[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]!!!!!!!!!!!!1111! he called her an old fish as well11111!!!!!11

Don't be silly, of course they understand. But playing the "outraged-at-the-savage-attack!!" (tm) card is standard American politics in in the 21st century. :)
tulc(popular with the whole spectrum of political views!) ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Straydog4293

Jan 31, 2008
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He called Sarah a pig. ^_^ LOL! Oh I can't wait to hear the spin on this one.

The way I see this is he used an old expression
"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig"
The timing was clever and intentional. Do I think it was a jab at Palin? Yes
Had Palin never made the joke about hockey moms, pit bulls, and lipstick, he never would have used it.

But if he intended it as a jab at Palin or not, who cares? I am more concerned that some her supporters will rally behind something so trivial.
I really like Palin and I thought it was funny.

Touche Obama

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
His audience got it. The shouts of glee were exactly what we heard from the pews when Jeremiah Wright did his act. Associated Press got it and said the reference was clearly to Sarah. Action News around the county got it as they are showing Sarah making her Hockey Mom Lipstick joke and then showing Obama making his pig with lipstick analogy.

Did you see there were 3 lipstick allusions made by Democrats today? Had to be a talking point the campaign put out in reaction to Palin's Hockey Mom Joke. Guy who introduced Biden, Michelle Obama and Barack all used lipstick (in differing ways) to make a point against the McCain-Palin.

McCain referenced the "lipstick on a pig" metaphor when he was talking about Hillary's health care proposal last year. If Obama supposedly insulted Palin by calling her a pig, does that mean McCain insulted Hillary the same way?
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ryal Kane

Senior Veteran
Apr 21, 2004
Hamilton
✟13,720.00
Faith
Atheist
The sad thing here is not the fact that people mistook a metaphor for an insult.
It's that they knew full well that it wasn't an insult and claimed it anyway.
There are legitimate reasons people wouldn't want to vote for Obama.
But I guess it's easier to sell lies.

Then again, an inability to comprehend metaphors is the root of creationism so maybe some people just didn't get it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.