On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read a book once by Dorothy Sayers who was writing of Church trends in the 1940's. The gist was that many Churches had been existing as arms of the state for hundreds of years. That arrangement worked well for both while the goals and values of both were similar. Between WWI and WWII, the states in Europe, for many reasons, found they no longer needed the Church to advance their aims. So, they discarded it as an encumbrance. Those Churches that had existed for hundreds of years in a particular state relationship suddenly found themselves in a new situation. Many failed to adapt or chose failing strategies. We are still seeing the results of this today.
Yep. You can see it in the hospitals which used to be church sponsored until abortion came with state financing.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We've had a fair number of Episcopalians become Orthodox, seeking a more solid, unwaivering foundation. It's encouraging that people are open to this, when they see their ship is sinking.

Basil
I tire quickly of solid unwaivering foundations.
I'm happy with spry legs & nimble feet.;)

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
We've had a fair number of Episcopalians become Orthodox, seeking a more solid, unwaivering foundation. It's encouraging that people are open to this, when they see their ship is sinking.

Basil
And I know some people moving the other way.

Does anybody really think that crowing over the people moving into one's traditions and quitely ignoring those moving the other way demonstrates or builds up anything?

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And I know some people moving the other way.

Does anybody really think that crowing over the people moving into one's traditions and quitely ignoring those moving the other way demonstrates or builds up anything?
I think I feel some gas building up....:sorry:
Somebody open a window.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Basil
I watch the posts with my jaw dropped that ya'll are gloating over how
many Christians you can sway to come to "your" Christian church.
It's... mind boggling.
UNLESS you believe that they were hell-bound if they hadn't converted.
Then i could surely give my "atta boy" too.

They robbed Paul to pay Peter. ;)
ROFL...
Right

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It's... mind boggling.

Why wouldn't one be happy to see their fellow man embrace the fullness of truth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,184,617.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's... mind boggling.
Though there may have been an element of gloating in the OP (I posted my original response to put the OP's "WOW" in perspective) I don't think you can disagree that it could be spiritually harmful to remain in communion with a body of Christians who place as overseers people whose moral compass seems completely contra to the Christian ideals. I'm always glad when people move from Churches that are a bit "out there" or liberal in their theology, to Churches which are better grounded. Better that than to leave the Church altogether don't you think?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because one is saddened their fellow man has walked away from it, I guess.

And wanting more than the truth isn't recommended.
But I have to admit,... the feeling of fullness is a strong selling point to the starved.

Strange how they're walking away from it then.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Though there may have been an element of gloating in the OP (I posted my original response to put the OP's "WOW" in perspective) I don't think you can disagree that it could be spiritually harmful to remain in communion with a body of Christians who place as overseers people whose moral compass seems completely contra to the Christian ideals. I'm always glad when people move from Churches that are a bit "out there" or liberal in their theology, to Churches which are better grounded. Better that than to leave the Church altogether don't you think?
OH :idea:
Oops.
Didnt know that.
Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's really not about the numbers, it's what it symbolizes....and a small trickle is fine with us.

I dug up this story I remember from last year, and it's from the same area.

In a move that religious scholars say is unprecedented, 10 of the 12 nuns at an Episcopal convent in Catonsville left their church Thursday to become Roman Catholics, the latest defectors from a denomination divided over the ordination of gay men and women.
The members of the All Saints Sisters of the Poor were welcomed into the Catholic Church by Archbishop Edwin F. O'Brien, who confirmed the women during a Mass in their chapel. Each vowed to continue the tradition of consecrated life, now as a religious institute within the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
"We know our beliefs and where we are," said Mother Christina Christie, superior of the order that came to Baltimore in 1872. "We were drifting farther apart from the more liberal road the Episcopal Church is traveling. We are now more at home in the Roman Catholic Church." Also joining the church was the Rev. Warren Tanghe, the sisters' chaplain

Episcopal Nuns - 10 Of 12 Episcopal Nuns Exit - Baltimore Sun

Upvote 0