Would you prefer it if “Christian universalism” were true?

Cormack

“I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”
Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Is heaven like the Muslim heaven with 72 virgins?

No, heaven for the universalist is just like the heaven that 99% of Christians believe in, the only difference is that someday everyone will be on the one right path and everyone will join God.

There’s no compulsion or robot people in the universalists picture of God or heaven. People are ultimately there because that’s where they want to be.

So, back to the main question of the topic.

Would you prefer everyone to freely, joyfully, and by Gods own good plan, join with Him for eternity?

Yes or no, and why yes or no?

Because so far, your points are just strawmanning what universalists believe.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I was actually responding to the earlier message that you edited. The question isn’t for me so I’m not meaning to mock the question or answer the question.

I simply quoted that message because originally it had the words “his avatar looks sinister” or something to that effect. :tearsofjoy:

Hence the joke. I assumed you too were kidding.

I was kidding. I edited the post when I realized I wasn`t sure who the question is directed at.

But your avatar is frightening though, seriously.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
What’s commonly referred to as Christian universalism. Everyone eventually saved and the whole of creation reconciled through the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ. All paths don’t lead to God, but all will someday be saved upon the one right path.
I do not oppose anyone who believes what you have stated, as I believe in the liberty of the Gospel.
As I understand it, and has been mentioned before by proponents, this ultimate reconciliation occurs
at the end of the age, and is more of a rehabilitation of all souls. This is not the focus of the Gospel
because it presents a means of living a victorious life in NOW faith, that is pleasing to God.
This was prophesied from Father to Son By Zacharias over John the baptist at his birth.

Luke 1:
To perform the mercy promised to our fathers and to remember His holy covenant,
73 The oath which He swore to our father Abraham:
74 To grant us that we, being delivered from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
75 In holiness and righteousness before Him all the days of our life.

Yes, salvation ultimately is not until the end of the age. The apostolic doctrine is primarily about
living the life. Not "what must I do to be saved"? but what does the Lord desire of those who
have received reconciliation by faith in His Name. We are called to be witnesses.

John 13:35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.

It was not until after some began to question the truth of the resurrection that Paul made
this statement.

1 Corinthians 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
The present discussion has turned these words on their head. So much emphasis now on dying and
going to heaven, or ultimate eternal life, that the Voice of the Spirit is now:
If in the life to come only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men the most pitiable.
Here is something to consider and meditate on with regard to universalism.

Mark 12:27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: you therefore do greatly err.

• Informative
Reactions: Cormack
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Would you prefer everyone to freely, joyfully, and by Gods own good plan, join with Him for eternity?

I guess that the answer has to be "yes," I'd prefer that everyone accept Christ and, in so doing, be reconciled to God eternally.

But on the other hand, it is almost pointless to ask if we prefer that all things work out right rather than there be evil somewhere.

Upvote 0

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
But on the other hand, it is almost pointless to ask if we prefer that all things work out right rather than there be evil somewhere.

The whole exercise becomes more meaningful when we discover that many Christians don’t want God to renew and restore everyone into a state of bliss or heaven or community with Him.

Their reasons for why they prefer the outlook where people are lost have been a little suspect so far. I’m holding out for better reasons.

Although I appreciate your response and largely agree, I’d much prefer that every person and creature without exception could live, be saved, changed, renewed, the whole scheme of salvation so far as it’s applicable to them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The whole exercise becomes more meaningful when we discover that many Christians don’t want God to renew and restore everyone into a state of bliss or heaven or community with Him.
I think their view usually is that God must be just as well as merciful. They don't want God to accept unrepentant evildoers and non-believers. That's not the same as preferring that everyone, sooner or later, come to Christ and acclaim him as Lord.

Although I appreciate your response and largely agree, I’d much prefer that every person and creature without exception could live, be saved, changed, renewed, the whole scheme of salvation so far as it’s applicable to them.
Who wouldn't?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, heaven for the universalist is just like the heaven that 99% of Christians believe in, the only difference is that someday everyone will be on the one right path and everyone will join God.

There’s no compulsion or robot people in the universalists picture of God or heaven. People are ultimately there because that’s where they want to be.

Because so far, your points are just strawmanning what universalists believe.
You say: “Everyone” so that means all humans and not some reworked being made to fit in heaven?

You say: “Freely and joyfully” so does that mean of their own free will, their choice, their true feelings?

Some things are just, flat out, impossible even for God to do. God cannot make everyone’s autonomous free will choice to Love His heaven and as you say God’s heaven is the same for everyone so it is like a huge Love feast of only unselfish, unconditional Godly type Love.

Everyone cannot be “on the right path” since the right path is a free will choice not forced on a person.

Explain to me how you could make: “All humans truly happy with their free will choice to be unselfish” without first separating out those who choose to be happy being unselfish? It is not natural for humans to be unselfish.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Their reasons for why they prefer the outlook where people are lost have been a little suspect so far. I’m holding out for better reasons.

You are making it out to be God's problem: " God to renew and restore everyone into a state of bliss or heaven or community with Him", while God is doing all He can to help willing individuals accept His Love as it is given (as pure undeserved charity).

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying people do not have the free will to refuse to accept God’s plan and not be a part of His plan?
Are you saying the Clay can dictate to the Potter how the Potter chooses to mold it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cormack

Apr 21, 2020
London
✟94,797.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think their view usually is that God must be just as well as merciful.

I agree that could be a reason for saying you prefer one view over another, though I’m not sure it’s a very good reason.

I’m not seeing how God ceases to be just if everyone is ultimately saved. I’ll share some examples, and again we are going by universalist presuppositions.

1. Before creation God was just, He had no need to express His justice but He was still just all the same. He was just in the garden too.

2. Even if everyone was saved, surely God has already made a display of His justice at the cross. So it’s not like God is not just, but rather that the whole of justice was paid on the life of Christ.

3. Being just involves equitable behaviours, for example, God rewarding saved people “according to their works” is an example of a just God. So, if in life you have done better works than me, and if God rewards you greatly, and me only a minor amount by comparison, I’d see in that right reward the just judge. I don’t see how everyone being saved hides that justness of God.

What’s lost, if I’m reading the trajectory of the argument right, is a display of Gods wrath or his justice upon humanity. Though again the universalist has a divine display, it’s not on any member of humanity except Christ though.

In that sense everyone gets to see, fear and love in the fullest sense without being the object of Gods wrath.

So upon reflection their point wouldn’t be “God must be loving and just,” right? He’s loving and just regardless, even to the universalist.

Rather their point is that they want God to display love and wrath upon man.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟797,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are making it out to be God's problem: " God to renew and restore everyone into a state of bliss or heaven or community with Him", while God is doing all He can to help willing individuals accept His Love as it is given (as pure undeserved charity).
I posed this situation earlier but no takers so far... maybe you'll take a stab.

When I forgive someone (which I'm biblically commanded to infinitely do, over and over again, forever, to anyone who wrongs me in any way - Matthew 18:21-22), the efficacy of that forgiveness is not in any way shape or form dependent upon the desire or acceptance of that forgiveness by the person I am forgiving, is it?

Are they not 100% forgiven by me regardless of whether or not they accept it?

Isn't the power and efficacy of forgiveness 100% dependent upon the one doing the forgiving, and not dependent upon the acceptance of the forgiveness by the one receiving it?

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I think their view usually is that God must be just as well as merciful. They don't want God to accept unrepentant evildoers and non-believers. That's not the same as preferring that everyone, sooner or later, come to Christ and acclaim him as Lord.

Probably some variance of views among universalists but unrepentant evildoers would be involuntarily persuaded. Who says a universalist God couldn`t be just?

In the traditional view, God tortures lost souls who only lived a short time for all eternity for their mistakes and transgressions. The punishment far exceeds the crimes. I`m not sure that`s justice, are you?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Probably some variance of views among universalists but unrepentant evildoers would be involuntarily persuaded.
As I noted a few posts ago, that isn't the most recent form of the proposition we're being asked about, however.

In the traditional view, God tortures lost souls who only lived a short time for all eternity for their mistakes and transgressions. The punishment far exceeds the crimes. I`m not sure that`s justice, are you?
It's hard to say. ;) And that's partly because we are not really sure what that eternal punishment consists of.

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It's hard to say. ;) And that's partly because we are not really sure what that eternal punishment consists of.

Yes. For me, I have a settled opinion on nearly all Biblical issues and I spent a long time getting this far along on that, but when it comes to the judgement and fate of the lost, I`m just not sure and see no reason why I need to make a determination. Too little Biblical info and too many variables.

The one thing I know for sure, I want to be on the Jesus side of things and I will count on His righteousness to send me to the right place to go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I posed this situation earlier but no takers so far... maybe you'll take a stab.

When I forgive someone (which I'm biblically commanded to infinitely do, over and over again, forever, to anyone who wrongs me in any way - Matthew 18:21-22), the efficacy of that forgiveness is not in any way shape or form dependent upon the desire or acceptance of that forgiveness by the person I am forgiving, is it?

Isn't the power and efficacy of forgiveness 100% dependent upon the one doing the forgiving, and not dependent upon the acceptance of the forgiveness by the one receiving it?

Jesus said to forgive so that you may be forgiven. When you forgive you put your faith in Gods justice and you get out of the way to let Him settle your accounts. You forgive to release the poison of hatred, anger and malice out of your heart. Lastly, you forgive to make yourself worthy to receive forgiveness for your own trespasses.

Forgiveness is all about helping you and not so much about those you are forgiving.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Probably some variance of views among universalists but unrepentant evildoers would be involuntarily persuaded. Who says a universalist God couldn`t be just?

Tell me what percentage of an infinite life do people need to be punished for their sins? Can we compare our punishments for criminal acts here on earth to those in the next life and if so... how?

Upvote 0

RickReads

Sep 27, 2020
richmond
✟64,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Tell me what percentage of an infinite life do people need to be punished for their sins? Can we compare our punishments for criminal acts here on earth to those in the next life and if so... how?

Seriously?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying the Clay can dictate to the Potter how the Potter chooses to mold it?
You are pulling that analogy out of Ro. 9, so we need to understand the context of Ro. 9. These are vessels that leave the Potter (God) 's shop with the Potters mark on them (all of value to do the job they were designed to do, some for common purpose and others for a very special purpose).
Look at Romans 9:
Paul uses two teaching methods throughout Romans even secular philosophy classes will use Romans as the best example of these methods. Paul does an excellent job of building one premise on the previous premises to develop his final conclusions. Paul uses an ancient form of rhetoric known as diatribe (imaginary debate) asking questions and most of the time giving a strong “By no means” and then goes on to explain “why not”. Paul’s method goes beyond just a general diatribe and follows closely to the diatribes used in the individual laments in the Psalms and throughout the Old Testament, which the Jewish Christians would have known extensively. These “questions or comments” are given by an “imaginary” student making it more a dialog with the readers (students) and not just a “sermon”.

The main topic repeated extensively in Romans is the division in the Christian house churches in Rome between the Jews and Gentile Christians. You can just look up how many times Jews and gentiles are referred to see this as a huge issue.

The main question (a diatribe question) in Romans 9 Paul addresses is God being fair or just Rms. 9: 14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all!

This will take some explaining, since just prior in Romans 9, Paul went over some history of God’s dealings with the Israelites that sounds very “unjust” like “loving Jacob and hating Esau” before they were born, but remember in all of Paul’s diatribes he begins before, just after or before and just after with strong support for the wrong answer (this makes it more of a debate and giving the opposition the first shot as done in all diatribes).

Some “Christians” do not seem to understand How Paul uses diatribes and think since he just showed God being “unjust” and saying God is “not unjust” that God has a special God definition of “just”, making God “just” by His standard and appearing totally unjust by human standards. God is not a hypocrite and does not redefine what He told us to be true.

Who in Rome would be having a “problem” with God choosing to work with Isaac and Jacob instead of Ishmael and Esau? Would the Jewish Christian have a problem with this or would it be the Gentile Christians?

If God treaded you as privileged and special would you have a problem or would you have a problem if you were treated seemingly as common and others were treated with honor for no apparent reason?

This is the issue and Paul will explain over the rest of Romans 9-11.

Paul is specific with the issue Rms. 9: 19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?”

The Jews were created in a special honorable position that would bring forth the Messiah and everyone else was common in comparison (the Gentiles).

How do we know Paul is specifically addressing the Jew/Gentile issue? Rms. 9: 30 What then shall we say? That the Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have obtained it, a righteousness that is by faith; 31 but the people of Israel, who pursued the law as the way of righteousness, have not attained their goal. 32 Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as if it were by works. They stumbled over the stumbling stone.

Paul is showing from the position of being made “common” vessels by God the Gentiles had an advantage over the Israelites (vessels of honor) that had the Law, since the Law became a stumbling stone to them. They both needed faith to rely on God’s Love to forgive them.

Without going into the details of Romans 9-11 we conclude with this diatribe question: Romans 11: 11 Again I ask: Did they stumble so as to fall beyond recovery? Not at all! Rather, because of their transgression, salvation has come to the Gentiles to make Israel envious. 12 But if their transgression means riches for the world, and their loss means riches for the Gentiles, how much greater riches will their full inclusion bring!

The common vessels (gentiles) and the vessels of honor (Jews) are equal individually in what is really significant when it comes to salvation, so God is not being unjust or unfair with either group.

If there is still a question about who is being addressed in this section of Rms. 9-11, Paul tells us: Rms. 11: 13 I am talking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I take pride in my ministry 14 in the hope that I may somehow arouse my own people to envy and save some of them.

Rm 9:22 What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction?

This verse is not saying all the “vessels” created for a “common purpose” were created for destruction (they were not made from the start by the Potter “clay pigeons”). Everything that leaves the potter’s shop is of great quality. Those vessels for destruction can come from either the common group or the honor group, but God is being patient with them that will eventually be destroyed. The vessels God does develop great wrath against, will be readied for destruction, but how did they become worthy of destruction since they left the potter’s shop with his mark on them? Any vessel (honorable or common) that becomes damaged is not worthy of the potters signature and He would want it destroyed.

To understand this as Common vessels and special vessels look at the same idea using the same Greek words of Paul in 2 Tim 2: 20. There Paul even points out the common can become the honored vessel.

Just because Paul uses a Potter as being God in his analogy and Jerimiah uses a Potter as being God in his analogy, does not mean the analogies are conveying the exact same analogy. Jerimiah is talking about clay on the potter’s wheel being change while still being malleable clay (which fits the changing of Israel), but Paul is talking about two pots (vessels) so they cannot both be Israel, the clay is the same for both and the clay is not changing the outcome of the pot. The two pots (vessels) are completed and a person is asking “Why did you make me like this”, so it is about “how a person is made (born)” and not a nation.

Since Jerimiah talks only about one pot on the wheel changing and Paul is talking about two kinds of completed pots (vessels), who are the two different pots?

Paul is saying in 2 Tim 2: 21 even after leaving the shop the common vessels can cleanse themselves and thus become instruments for a special purpose. So, who is the common vessel and who is the special vessel in this analogy?

That is a short explanation, since you really need to study all of Romans especially chapters 9, 10 and 11. Also please look at individual laments in the Psalms and diatribes in general, I really cut those short.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Your job and you seem to be doing it quite will is to unconditionally forgive, but is forgiveness a transaction where the one preson can do his/her job perfectly and the reciever of the forgiveness not accept that forgiveness as pure undeserved charity and thus forgiveness did not take place.

Jesus while on the cross asked God to forgive all those involved in crucifying Him and knowing their relationship I would say God forgave them, but Peter later accuses this group (Acts 2:36) of being responsible and guilty for crucifying Christ, so were they forgiven?

Look closely at Matt. 18:
Those disciples would have on their heart after Jesus gave the direct simple answer to their question: “wow, If I am perfectly merciful (forgiving of others totally) then what will keep me from being taken advantage of by my brothers?”

This question is not verbalized, but would have been on my mind at the time.

That is the assumed question that would be on the disciples’ heart right after Jesus told them to forgive 7x70, since that is the answer Christ explains with a parable, how will not be taken advantage of, but you have got to read carefully.

Is accepting forgiveness as pure charity required to complete the transaction?

What part does man play in his salvation?

How can a person be forgiven by God and still owe God what God forgave?

I use the parable in Matt. 18 extensively as a proof text to show how forgiveness, Love, atonement, grace, and mercy are not one-sided actions but require action on both the giver and receiver to complete the transaction.

This parable is not explained well by many commentaries.

Before going into this parable, you need to get the context which may not be obvious;

Matt. 18: 21-35

Peter asked a question and Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but 77 times (or 7x70).

I would say: “Jesus answered Peter’s question, perfectly, so there is no need for a strait forward answer but Jesus’ answer would produce follow-up questions immediately, but the apostles are slow to ask Jesus what is on their hearts which we find throughout scripture. The parable is the follow-up answer to this question Peter (and the other disciples) would have on his/their heart(s). (which I also being see on your heart from your response.)

I would suggest: when Jesus says 7 times 70 or 77 they are thinking: “WOW!! How Can we keep from being taken advantage of by our brothers if we are just going to keep forgiving them every time?” (People always think about how it will impact themselves.)

Jesus then needs to address this bigger question with His parable.

Here are some questions I have asked in the past:

The Master (God as seen in verse 35) is the way the apostles and all Christians are to behave.

The (wicked) servant I think would be referring to all mature adults, but am open to other alternatives? (This example, is it referring to all other humans or just other Christian brothers?)

The Master (God) would have to be doing all His part completely perfectly and all He can do in unconditionally forgive the servant, but does the servant accept the forgiveness as pure charity (undeserving/unconditional)?

The servant is ask: “Give me time” and “I’ll pay everything back.” Now this unbelievably huge debt is way beyond any possibility of being paid back, the servant would know that, so is the servant lying with: “I’ll pay everything back”?

If the servant truly accept unconditional forgiveness of this unbelievable huge debt, would he not automatically have an unbelievable huge Love (really Godly type Love), (Luke 7: 40-50) and would that Love be seen in Loving the Master’s other servants, which it is not being seen?

If a “unconditional forgiveness transaction” had taken place/been completed how could the Master (God) say and do: “Shouldn’t you have had mercy on the other servant just as I had mercy on you?” 34 In anger his master turned him over to the jailers. He would be punished until he paid back everything he owed.”?

Is there any other debt the servant owes, since Jesus tells us this is what he owed, that the Master “tried” to forgive?

Does the servant still owe the master, because the servant did not accept the unconditional forgiveness as pure charity and thus automatically Love much?

In the parable, which scenario would give the wicked servant more “glory” accepting or rejecting God’s charity or does it even matter, since all the glory in the story goes to the Master no matter what the wicked servant does?

Can the wicked servant take pride (a false pride) in the fact that, in his mind, he did not “accept” charity but talked the Master into giving him more time?

Christ’s parables address one area of how things work in the Kingdom, but may leave other areas unaddressed (it is only a short story), so we need to be cautious.

Lots of times you need to put yourself into the audience Jesus is addressing and try to be thinking: what they would be thinking about at the time, because Jesus addresses what is on the heart of the individual person(s) and not what has been verbalized (there are a dozen examples of this).

Jesus gives us one requirement, we often leave out, and that is going to the person we tried to forgive when he did not accept the forgiveness as charity, and explain what he did wrong and why he still owes us. We may stop with just not loaning them our car again.

These moments are teaching moments.

God turning something over to you to become your possession saying “here it is it is yours now” that is a promise He is making. You can do with it as you please (sell it, give it away) but since God made the commitment (promise) He cannot just take it back.

God forgives unconditionally, but we do have to accept it as unconditional, undeserved, unselfish pure charity to complete the transaction.

I did not really look at the details of the servant throwing the other servant in prison. There are always limits to parables, but look at the subtle differences between what the servants did and what the master did. The wicked servant only put the fellow servant in prison (no mention of torture this could be like Paul’s imprisonment) while the master had the wicked servant turned over to a person (being) for continuous torture?

Can we start with what we do agree with in this parable, just let me know yes or no:

1. The master is representing God in the Spiritual Kingdom?

2. The “turned him over to the jailers. He would be punished until he paid back everything he owed.” Represents Hell in the spiritual meaning?

3. The millions and millions of dollars represents spiritually the huge debt sin creates?

4. The wicked servant is a sinner?

5. The Master’s forgiveness of the servant’s debt is the same as God’s part in forgiving a sinner’s sins?

6. The servant’s debt was not forgiven, since in the end the master says, he is imprisoned for the debt?

7. The servant is lying when he says “I will pay everything back” since it is totally not possible?

8. The servant was asking for time and not forgiveness and gives no indication He accepted the forgiveness as charity?

If we agree with this we are 90% in agreement. The only question is: “Since the wicked servant still owes the master the huge debt after the master did his part of forgiving the wicked servant, what else must happen for the transaction of forgiveness to be fully completed?

A tree brings glory to God by being a tree?

Can a person not bring glory to God no matter what he does by your believe?

A birth right cannot be taken away and God will not take it away, but like Esau you can sell it or give it away.

If you do not think Deity is the most likely spiritually speaking alternative for the King or Master, who could it be referring to (the only other poorly supported thought was the “Church”)?

If you do not think the servant is most likely in the spiritual meaning an example of a sinner and/or Christian who could he be?

Peter came to Jesus. He asked, “Lord, how many times should I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but 77 times.

23 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to collect all the money his servants owed him. 24 As the king began to do it, a man who owed him millions of dollars was brought to him. 25 The man was not able to pay. So his master gave an order. The man, his wife, his children, and all he owned had to be sold to pay back what he owed. 26 “The servant fell on his knees in front of him. ‘Give me time,’ he begged. ‘I’ll pay everything back.’ 27 “His master felt sorry for him. He forgave him what he owed and let him go. 28 “But then that servant went out and found one of the other servants who owed him a few dollars. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he said. 29 “The other servant fell on his knees. ‘Give me time,’ he begged him. ‘I’ll pay you back.’ 30 “But the first servant refused. Instead, he went and had the man thrown into prison. The man would be held there until he could pay back what he owed. 31 The other servants saw what had happened. It troubled them greatly. They went and told their master everything that had happened. 32 “Then the master called the first servant in. ‘You evil servant,’ he said. ‘I forgave all that you owed me because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on the other servant just as I had mercy on you?’ 34 In anger his master turned him over to the jailers. He would be punished until he paid back everything he owed. 35 “This is how my Father in heaven will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart.”

That completes the answer to that question perfectly, so what is the parable about?

Upvote 0