Would you prefer it if “Christian universalism” were true?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟887,266.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe there’s another way I can ask this or explain it so that it makes more sense. You’ve read about people who won’t eat food sacrificed to idols I’m sure, and Paul knows that the idol and the food has no power over him.

He knows that but he doesn’t try to bind up his brothers conscience on this matter when they are disturbed or won’t eat from a table where there’s idol food.

Paul says don’t even ask about it, an idol is nothing. Still if someone who does fear the idol eats, then that’s sin, because he’s not eating by faith.

That gets a little convoluted so I’m just going to try and walk it back to the meats idea.

Paul doesn’t try to condemn people who won’t eat, he just hopes that the people who abstain from eating won’t try and enforce themselves on the people who do eat.

The people who eat are eating with a clean conscience. They eat with liberty and joy, they aren’t sinning when they eat and for someone to bind up their spirits and cause them to fear the food, that person would be in the wrong.

So I’m trying to ask the same thing in a new way, maybe it’s helpful.

Do you feel the need to bind up and alter the views of a Christian who sincerely believes in universalism?

I don’t see any need to destroy that persons high view of Gods love and care for mankind in order to now burden them with such a difficult (albeit very popular) doctrine as eternal conscious torment.

I only write difficult because that’s what it would be for them, as difficult as trying to force the “pagan Christmas” camp to celebrate Christmas, or to pressure the no Halal food guy to eat a Halal chicken burger.

I eat those foods, I celebrate those holidays and I’m hopeful in the idea of a universal restoration. But that doesn’t mean I intend to wreck everyone and turn their heads into my way of thinking.

The idea Paul brings up of it only being sin if you think it's sin can't be applied to everything. I believe this is a specific case which I don't see fit most theological truths.

Do I feel the need to alter the view of UR's? I think it can be a matter of salvation, so yes I like to see UR's change their view even they might be comfortable in UR. Unbelievers are generally comfortable about their believes as well, but I like to see them saved, even I know it's hard for them to be challenged about sin, death and eternal life only in Christ.

I have seen quite a lot of promotion from some people here for UR? Why are you promoting this idea if you don't want to alter other Christians' views on the matter?

It sounds to me you believe UR's have a higher view of God's love than those who believe in the double outcome (eternal heaven/eternal hell). I would surely disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0