• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Would you make a deal with the Devil?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Gabe7, May 5, 2011.

1. Gabe7

Gabe7 Active Member

+24
    Calvinist
    Single
    Let us, for the sake of this question, acknowledge the existence of the Devil and Hell.

So, you're walking along a dirt road and you happen upon a crossroads. In the middle of the crossroads stands a man in a crumpled old suit. This is the Devil.

He offers you the one-time chance to make a deal with him.

You may choose any one area of expertise; musical ability, understanding of the universe, you name it, but in return you will be condemned to an eternity of suffering in Hell after your death.

1) Would you do it, and if so, what?
    2) If yes, why? If no, why not?
    3) If yes, what would you use your new abilities for?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mud Hole

Mud Hole My name is Mud!

+4
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Republican

No. And just so you know, that is a false devil. The real devil would have a freshly pressed suit. :D

3. Jro

Jro Guest

+0
    Could I make stipulations on the deal, like "So good at diplomacy that world peace will inevitably happen"? Or better yet, "So good at guitar solos that world peace will inevitably happen"? Because seriously, I mean, 1) Rockin' guitar solos, 2) Babes, 3) did I mention the guitar solos? Oh yeah, and world peace.

4. CaliforniaSun

CaliforniaSun Well-Known Member

+41
    Atheist
    Private
    I'd much rather make a deal with Jesus, to live in abject poverty, pain and unimaginable human suffering in this life, with the promise of a swanky one in the next. :)

5. Jro

Jro Guest

+0
    But... but... instant gratification good, delay bad!!!!!!

6. Ampersand

Ampersand It's the name of the "and" symbol.

+31
    Agnostic
    Single
    US-Others
    [​IMG]

7. Mud Hole

Mud Hole My name is Mud!

+4
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Republican
    lol. Now that is the devil. Can't even keep his serpent put away.

8. JustMeSee

JustMeSee Contributor

+262
    United States
    Other Religion
    Private
    US-Others
    No, eternity is too long for suffering.

9. Jro

Jro Guest

+0
    If I could guarantee that there would no longer be war, I'd be awfully tempted... Seriously, how long before torment gives way to monotony?

10. metherion

metherion Veteran

+329
    Catholic
    Married
    What if my deal was for a one-way trip to Heaven?

Metherion

11. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+281
    Agnostic
    In Relationship
    Well, um, I suppose immortality (and the inability to be killed) would be the only smart thing to ask for.

Although... if you assumed you were already going to hell to begin with, why -not- make a deal? I mean, you'd end up in the same place anyway but you would have had a lot more fun getting there.

12. Gishin

Gishin Well-Known Member

+238
    Atheist
    Married
    There was a twilight zone episode I saw where that happened. Guy ended up getting sent to prison for life.

13. mzungu

mzungu INVICTUS

+183
    Atheist
    Married
    I would be more interested to hear his side of the story! I would ask him; what it was that made him rebel against God? I would ask him to tell me the truth as part of the deal. This will force him to not lie! Something tells me that there is two sides to this conflict between God and the Devil, and we know God's account only. After all; History is written by the victors and not by the vanquished! :D

14. Jade Margery

Jade Margery Stranger in a strange land

+281
    Agnostic
    In Relationship

[​IMG]
    From: channelATE.com: Comics and Cartoons by Ryan Hudson - Dont Believe Everything You Hear

15. SyntheticPaper

SyntheticPaper the best mono-thingie guy there ever was

+462
    Lutheran
    Married
    mehh … Tommy Johnson did it before Robert Johnson.

16. mzungu

mzungu INVICTUS

+183
    Atheist
    Married
  17. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,590
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Skill in devil slaying. ;)

eudaimonia,

Mark

18. solarwave

solarwave Guest

+0
    Obviously I wouldn't do it. I have no idea why anyone would do it unless they thought that it would bring a huge amount of goodness to other people and therefore was somehow worth it.

19. selfinflikted

selfinflikted Under Deck

+735
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Monotony is torment.

20. The Nihilist

The Nihilist Contributor

+440
    Atheist
    Yes, but I'd want immortality.