Visit site
✟15,467.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would definitely be ok with dating and marrying a meat eater. There would have to be mutual respect, but I've been one for so long that anyone who knows me, knows I am a vegetarian. I never lecture anyone on it and even if they ask, I just tell them it's not right for me and it's a personal choice. Now, if my guy was really pushy about me eating meat, it becomes about the principle of the matter: the fact that he doesn't respect my needs. So I would never disregard a love interest because he ate meat, but it would depend on how we handled our respect for the other's diet.

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
A while back, I may have said yes, but after dating a few carnivorous men, I have to say no, probably not. I'm a bit older now, and I feel like any man I'd consider dating would be, or could be a potential spouse, and because animal rights and welfare is something I feel so strongly about, I'd want him to share that with me, especially if we have children, as I'd rather there be no debate about what they will eat, and no confusion.

Upvote 0

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Being married to a meat-eater is making it really hard for me to go fully vegetarian. I still have meat with him once in a while because I don't want to make 2 meals - and he would complain if I never made meat.
You could always make a meatless meal, and then have him cook up some meat himself if he wants it so badly. I cook for my carnivorous father, and he knows that whatever he gets isn't going to have meat in it, and that if he wants it, he's to cook it himself. He's totally cool with it, thankfully.

Upvote 0

odeminkwe

Veteran
Nov 24, 2007
United States
✟17,343.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I've been a vegetarian on and off for my whole adult life. I married a meat eater whose family are big hunters. His mother and her husband process deer for some of the people in their community. His uncle and stepbrother are both butchers. I got so much grief when I went to Thanksgiving dinner the first year we dated and didn't eat the turkey, though my husband's mother did prepare mac and cheese for me.
I was a meateater by the time of my first pregnancy, though I tried to quit again shortly after. I started eating meat again after I found out I was preggo with my 2nd child. I didn't think I could possibly get enough nutrients for my fetus, my nursling, and myself.
Back in December, I told my husband how important it was to me to change my diet and the diets of my children. We had talked about vegetarianism several times before so it was nothing new. We decided to go veggie and within a few days were meat free and have been ever since. Hubby enjoys his new diet. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

barefeetonholyground

CF member for 15 years!
Oct 26, 2003
Kitsap County, Washington
✟34,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well I'm already married to one but I married him long before I became vegetarian. He's very supportive and impressed that I can eat differently around him, since it is much harder to stick to a healthy diet around someone who doesn't eat as healthy. He would even convert himself but we knew that if he did he would get sick at basic training since that's basically all they eat. He doesn't know if he could do it now but since I make the food I'll be slowly weaning him off the meat (or at least try to!)

Upvote 0

California Dreamin'

Crazy Cat Lady
Site Supporter
Mar 30, 2004
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟60,435.00
Faith
Un. Church of CA
Marital Status
Engaged
I am in a new relationship. He's a professional wrestler and said he has thought of vegetarianism but wasn't sure if he could still get enough protein. I made him pasta yesterday with tofu in the sauce, he said he loved it, was 'delicious', and ate two bowls of it. He's also a cook and interested in finding vegetarian recipes... I've sent him various links explaining that vegetarians can absolutely get enough protein. I don't think he eats a lot of meat. I've only been in relationships with people who eat meat, and live with my mom and stepdad... my stepdad is probably one of the biggest meat eaters on earth.

Upvote 0

laughterlines

Mar 5, 2009
Southern Ontario, Canada
✟15,159.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
I really don't think I could.. at all. Maybe if we had chickens, and my partner wanted to eat their eggs I might be okay with it, but then again maybe not.
Veganism is something that is very important to me, and in order for me to have a healthy relationship with someone we would have to believe in the same things.

Upvote 0

Völuspá

Óðinnsdottir
Jul 16, 2008
✟7,892.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I've thought some about this, but... a lot of people can't stand the thought of kissing someone who smokes, so how am I supposed to feel about kissing someone who's been munching on dead animals? Plus I hate having to separate my food from other people's. I might not mind it at first, but I would hope they would be open-minded enough to at least try vegetarianism and then hopefully stick to it. If not, then I don't know what I would do. I really can't stand being confronted with cooked up animals all the time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RWeb

Oct 13, 2009
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was just wondering what you all thought about this subject. Would you date or marry a meat eater, or would that be weird for you? I am undecided, it of course would be ideal if I could find another vegetarian, but I'm not sure if it's a deal-breaker for me.

What do you think?
I'm actually on the other side of the fence, I'm a meat eater and LOVE it....and to be honest i dont know if I could be around a vegetarian. I've never tried, and I think one person spelt it out that it's about having similar values otherwise your basically cooking two dinners, OR one dinner and just throw a steak on the grill :)

I could imagine it being a deal breaker, even though I love my Vegetables, I still love my meat.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2008
✟18,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm lucky my vegetarian girlfriend did a couple of years ago - I ate meat, I loved the taste and texture, but I had been having philosophical/environmental problems with it for a couple of years. After we started going out I started cutting down on meat, partly due to the fact that it made little sense for two people living together to eat cook separate meals for each other - naturally those meals were vegetarian.

It took a while for me to go the whole way, but I did about 6 months ago and haven't looked back - we are getting married in two months too :D

I'd emphasise that I was never under any pressure to change my eating habits from her - I already had the inclination towards the change, and she was encouraging when I expressed my desire to go ahead with it, but I never felt like I needed to change for her or that she cared for me any the less because I wasn't a vegetarian.

So yeah, I wouldn't go around cutting people off from you if the only stumbling block is what they eat. I'd also emphasise to anyone that "loves to eat meat too much to become a vegetarian" that where there is a will, there is a way - I used to be almost carniverous, I hated most vegetables, the word tofu was scary and confusing, and despite my philosophical/ethical/environmental objections to meat eating I still am happy to agree that a well cooked steak tastes amazing, but just because I know it tastes amazing doesn't mean I have to eat it - and now I know about all sorts of other amazing tasting foods that I would never have even tried before!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
My girlfriend is vegetarian, and so when I'm with her I just eat vegetarian food. I've always eaten plenty of food that doesn't have meat in it, so it's not particularly much of a stretch for me or her. Just not tofu. Tofu is the single most disgusting thing on the planet. I'll eat anything else, just not tofu.

Upvote 0

Briannaa

Apr 16, 2010
✟7,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I cannot picture myself marrying, and spending the rest of my life with a meat eater. My veg*nism is very important to me, and I fully believe in animal rights. I don't know about casually dating a meat eater, if it wasn't going to be serious. But kissing someone? What if I got meat in my mouth?

Upvote 0

Watergirl

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,257.00
Faith
Baptist
I was just wondering what you all thought about this subject. Would you date or marry a meat eater, or would that be weird for you? I am undecided, it of course would be ideal if I could find another vegetarian, but I'm not sure if it's a deal-breaker for me.

What do you think?

My fiancee eats meat. I judge people on their character, not on what they eat. He's one of the sweetest, kindest, Godliest men I know. And the fact that he's gorgeous doesn't hurt, either.

Why would I give all that up just because he likes to eat a hamburger every now and then?

We're going fishing together this afternoon.

Upvote 0
M

martie

I'm currently dating a meat eater (I'm a vegan) who I maybe (hopefully?) will someday marry.
Sometimes it is very emotionally difficult for me, because I truly believe that veganism is ethically right, but we both work hard at accepting each other's beliefs and acting in a respectful way and it seems to work out okay.
Sometimes I have to be totally explicit about my boundaries ("no, I will not cook meat", etc.) or there are misunderstandings. But most of the time it is fine :)

Upvote 0