Visit site
✟7,891.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was just wondering what you all thought about this subject. Would you date or marry a meat eater, or would that be weird for you? I am undecided, it of course would be ideal if I could find another vegetarian, but I'm not sure if it's a deal-breaker for me.

What do you think?

Xipilgrim

Feb 19, 2007
Leeds
✟10,348.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I don't think I could really.
But it seems to me a "serious relationship" wouldn't happen in the firstplace; I mean, the choice to become vegetarian is because of something fundamental to you as a person; I think there would just be a big incompatibility thing between you and them.
In other words being a vegetarian isn't just about "not eating meat", its linked to other types of things about your character also.

Upvote 0

nowsthetime

Mar 1, 2007
West Virginia University
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it seems to me a "serious relationship" wouldn't happen in the firstplace; I mean, the choice to become vegetarian is because of something fundamental to you as a person; I think there would just be a big incompatibility thing between you and them.
In other words being a vegetarian isn't just about "not eating meat", its linked to other types of things about your character also.
Bah. I am going to be screwed then. Haha, not too many Christian vegetarians in West Virginia. I definitely see where you're coming from though.

But yeah... I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they truly believe in their heart its okay after being educated on the subject, and have valid reasons why. e.g. If the girl only ate small farm raised meat... Or something of that sort... I could handle that.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Now, if he was constantly wanting to go to BBQ restaurants, and I was always trying to drag him to Thai places, it could get annoying... but really, I think it would be okay. Mutual respect would go a long way.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's how I feel as well.

Upvote 0
E

Evangelina

Being married to a meat-eater has been interesting for me. We talked about it before we married... I said I wouldn't be prepared to cook meat, and I'd prefer it not to be cooked in our house... but that if he wanted to, he could. I don't think he ever has. I do most of the cooking, hubby is happy to eat the meals I cook, and i've heard him having interesting chats with his mates about vegetarianism etc! :)

Something that female vegos really should discuss with their possible husbands is the concept of a vegetarian pregnancy. Some people are OK with vegetarianism until there's a baby in the picture, then all of a sudden revert to 'but we need meat to be healthy!' (for the record, hubby had heard me talk so much about nutrition that he had no qualms with me being veg all through pregnancy... to the point where he was tempted to say, "Gee, you should've talked to my wife!" when talking to a woman in the hospital who gave birth around the same time I did, and started eating meat during the pregnancy 'for the iron' :D )

Upvote 0

ShineForever

Jul 3, 2006
New York (NOT "the city")
Visit site
✟7,891.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
female vegos really should discuss with their possible husbands is the concept of a vegetarian pregnancy.

I have definitely thought of this. I could see a guy getting scared for the baby if he isn't informed.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That's kind of how I feel.

Thankfully my husband is a Pescetarian :) (only eats fish, which I can see the merits of, so accept) which is fine with me.

I guess it would be like a smoker marrying a non-smoker...(I could never have been with a smoker either :sick:)

ShineForever said:
I have definitely thought of this. I could see a guy getting scared for the baby if he isn't informed.

I have come across a lot of people who feel that way...even so far as to call vego mothers-to-be 'neglectful' of their unborn children...it's just sheer ignorance. :sigh:

Upvote 0
E

Evangelina

I have come across a lot of people who feel that way...even so far as to call vego mothers-to-be 'neglectful' of their unborn children...it's just sheer ignorance. :sigh:
Mmmm... they tend to end up a little bewildered after encountering me, because I can provide all sorts of info about veg nutrition... and typically do :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Journey_On

Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2007
✟50,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Should I decide to get married, I think I would like to date and marry a vegetarian. Mainly I think of when I am preparing meals for our family and the fact that my heart feels like it's going to stop when I see raw meat out of its package (seeing raw meat is a little phobia I have because I'm afraid of salmonella). It's not a life-or-death situation for me, though......but marrying a Christian vegetarian would be ideal. :)

Upvote 0

phoebe573

Dec 7, 2006
✟15,525.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i'm getting married to a meat eater, i was a 'meat eater' myself when we started dating.... i don't eat meat for my own moral and ethical beliefs and i don't force it down people's throats just because i think so, doesn't mean everyone else has to. he thinks that the way they treat animals before, during, and after slaughter houses is ok... and he can live with himself... i can't any longer. i don't have a problem with him eating meat around me, but i did stop cooking meat for him... little by little i 'weaned' him off my 'meat' cooking and i taught him how to make his own. i do a lot of pasta and veggies, rice... he can eat as much as he wants of it and if he wants meat then he is on a 'do-it-yourself' mission ;)

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
It sounds a little bit fundamentalist of me, but I don't think I would like to date or marry a meat eater. Not because I don't respect their right to eat meat, exactly, but because I think I'd be too disgusted at having meat in the house and maybe having to cook it. I've never eaten meat or fish before, so I've been conditioned not to think of it as food, but to think of it as something disgusting. I'd want to raise any children I had as vegetarians as well, so overall I don't think it would work if their father ate meat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Evangelina

I was a vegetarian who married a meat eater and I ended up eating meat. I'm now in the process of getting back to vegetarianism. I guess I'd say just be sure you can stand your ground with it. I regret giving in.
Reminds me of someone who lives near me... there's a funny-ish story attached :) She was vegetarian, married and gave up and ate meat during all her pregnancies, and recently decided to go back to vegetarian meals. How do I know this? Her hubby was chatting to me (he's a 'bus friend' ) and sort of half-complaining about the illogicality... I was about 7 months pregnant at the time and said something along the lines of, "hey, I'm vegetarian, don't even eat dairy or eggs... nutrition is easy if you know what you're doing, this baby's absolutely fine! Tell her to give me a yell if she wants some tips!" .... he went very very quiet :D

Upvote 0

rain292

Feb 3, 2007
✟7,704.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm dating a meat-eater. Although I'm not at an age to seriously consider marriage, I don't think I'd mind marrying a non-vegetarian later on. BF eats meat and I say it's nasty, while I eat tofu and he says the same thing about it. He doesn't lecture me about how being vegetarian is unhealthy (I've had people do that while eating pizza and french fries o_O), so I don't get onto him about eating meat. I guess it helps that I'm the only vegetarian in my family; I'm used to being around a bunch of carnivores.

Upvote 0

whatisyourstory

Tell your story and change a life
Feb 8, 2008
Midwest
✟11,775.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am married to a meat eater and it doesn't cause any problems. He is very open to trying out new veg restaurants and always checks out menus for new places to make sure there is a veggie option for me. He is also very supportive. He even eats tofu and such when I make it for dinner.

Upvote 0