Would life on Mars be a problem for your religious beliefs?

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If a baby is forced to wear clothes, that is not voluntary.
Your point is a strawman.

But animals don't do that. That tells the two apart and it is an excellent criterion.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
But animals don't do that. That tells the two apart and it is an excellent criterion.
Why? Bottle-nose dolphins engage in blowhole-to-blowhole sexual penetration for the purpose of sexual gratification. No other creature does that. Why don't you therefore conclude that bottle-nose dolphins are somehow separate from the animals?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
juvenissun, I still don't understand.

If a planet has what we would consider harsh conditions so that only extremophile bacteria can survive there, you say that disproves evolution? How?

There are places on our planet where only extremophiles can survive - animals etc. wouldn't be able to live. Does that prove evolution wrong in your mind?

Of course, according to your assumption. Then there is simply no animals.

But, a planet is not that simple. The earth was barren because its harsh physical conditions. But the earth evolved. I would expect any other planet that permitted life will be similar to the earth and is able to meet the required conditions of biological evolution.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why? Bottle-nose dolphins engage in blowhole-to-blowhole sexual penetration for the purpose of sexual gratification. No other creature does that. Why don't you therefore conclude that bottle-nose dolphins are somehow separate from the animals?

You can do that too.

So you can call that particular dolphins human and all the rest are animals.

Fine with me.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Living and dying in 3/4 time
Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Animals engage in cannibalistic behavior..Humans have been known to do the same..
You can claim that we are not animals, yet we display animalistic traits...sexual gratification,territorial strife,caring for the young,gathering in family groups..the only thing separating us is our higher brain function.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,900.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Animals engage in cannibalistic behavior..Humans have been known to do the same..
You can claim that we are not animals, yet we display animalistic traits...sexual gratification,territorial strife,caring for the young,gathering in family groups..the only thing separating us is our higher brain function.

I (or an evolutionist, or a zoologist) can easily debate that.

So, mine is still the best: we wear clothes and animals don't. Simple, understandable, specific, deep, and not arguable.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So, mine is still the best: we wear clothes and animals don't. Simple, understandable, specific, deep, and not arguable.

Many crabs disagree with you. They wear sponges as camouflage and chemical defense.

spongeCrab2.jpg

But I predict a true Scotsman coming.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

the main reason we wear clothes is for warmth.Our higher brain function gives us the common sense to cover up to protect our selves from the elements.

How can an evolutionist or biologist easily debate that?Higher brain function means having morals,learned intelligence,long term decision making,etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

We can choose to lay down our lives for others or not.
We choose to live by law and not instinct.
We choose to discard animal connections and live according to our decisions.
We are self aware.
We are spiritual.
We can communicate abstract philosophical ideas.
We are aware of the passage of time.
We understand cruelty.
We control our reproduction (by choice).
We have a written language.
We keep records of past events.
Our brains are structured differently from animals.
We have a culture that is recorded and built on and shapes our lives that is not dependent on biological transmission.
We alter and control the environment we live in to suit us rather than have it control us.

Upvote 0

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

the main reason we wear clothes is for warmth.Our higher brain function gives us the common sense to cover up to protect our selves from the elements.

How can an evolutionist or zoologist easily debate that?Higher brain function means having morals,learned intelligence,long term decision making,etc.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Again, more assumptions. I never said it was not a falsifiable scientific claim. You, however, cannot say "We have not found life on two planetary; hence, the rest of the cosmos is sterile"

I fail to see how distance and time has anything to do with data. Data transmitted will be the exact same data the rover took on Mars (or whatever other planet it's on).
The time it would take to even pass the knowledge back to us renders the information of no value.
- Sky

Neither time or distance will alter the measurements.

True. But it will alter you and the value of the data. By the time the information about another form of life gets to you, the human race, or the other life, or both, will be dead. This reduces the value of the data to zero.

Glad you agree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

freezerman2000

Feb 24, 2011
South Carolina
✟39,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We can choose to lay down our lives for others or not.
We choose to live by law and not instinct.
We choose to discard animal connections and live according to our decisions.
We are self aware.
We are spiritual.
We can communicate abstract philosophical ideas.
We are aware of the passage of time.
We understand cruelty.
We control our reproduction (by choice).
We have a written language.
We keep records of past events.
Our brains are structured differently from animals.
We have a culture that is recorded and built on and shapes our lives that is not dependent on biological transmission.
We alter and control the environment we live in to suit us rather than have it control us.

And all of those are products of our higher brain functions.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could not find any literature reviews over hypotheses involving life from Mars going to earth on the Science Direct database.

Really?
I mean really?

Look. Take your mouse, highlight your own words
"hypotheses involving life from Mars going to earth"
then right click and search or copy and paste your words into your search engine of choice.
Here is the lamest engine I could find:
Ask.com - What's Your Question?

The topic is on page one near the bottom.

Mainpage - SETG will test the hypothesis that life on Mars, if it exists, shares a common ancestor with life on Earth.

Tags « NASA Astrobiology - Some scientists believe that if life exists on Mars, it could have been delivered there from Earth on interplanetary meteorites. With funding from NASA’s ASTEP program, a team of researchers is now putting together an instrument that could test this theory.

Did Life on Earth Come From Mars? | Extraterrestrial Life | DISCOVER Magazine

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Funny how none of those are literature reviews, which is what the OP was asking about. Not to mention none of them are on on the Science Direct database.

I could not find any literature reviews over hypotheses involving life from Mars going to earth on the Science Direct database.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status