Would it be okay for a Christian to get cosmetic surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve always been very uncomfortable with my appearance. I don’t look like a normal person and I’ve been bullied before for some aspects of my appearance - even my own Dad called me ugly to my face. This has been very hurtful as I know he meant it and I already believed it about myself. I would not want to do anything that involves restructuring my face, but my hairline has naturally been very high and M-shaped which gives me super low self-confidence as my hair never looks nice and it looks like it belongs to someone 20 years older. If I were to get a hair transplant I know it would completely transform my confidence. This would cost around £5000.

I am very torn about this decision. I don’t like the idea of surgically augmenting appearance, however, as this only involves moving hair from the back of the head to the front of your head, it doesn’t seem very major in my opinion. Also, I do not think I am doing this out of vanity but because of such low self-confidence because of how abnormal my hair looks. I was clothes shopping two weeks ago and saw myself in the mirror in the changing rooms. It made me feel so sad looking at myself that I just went home and was very down. With one simple procedure, I would be able to have a nice hairstyle for the first time in my life and not see myself as ugly every time I see myself in the mirror.

I know I am ugly and so must every other young woman out there. Not one young woman has ever complimented my appearance (apart from clothing).

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems like it might be worth it to you, though £5000 sounds expensive to me
If it does not to you compared to the self image pain you are experiencing, then I would encourage you to try it.
One of my favorite C.S. Lewis books is "Til We Have Faces", and the main character is born ugly (it never says in
what way, but I would imagine a cleft lip or something of that extreme, they are in ancient times)

I read the book in high school and found it memorable; I read it again as an adult and wept as I could finally understand it deeper.
When you said "even your own dad" it reminded me of it. There's some beauty and strength in these pages for you.

Upvote 0

ElCamino

Dec 27, 2021
Culiacan
✟49,889.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you have body dysmorphia. The problem with having such procedures is that it's never enough. You "fix" one thing and then you'll find something else that needs "fixing".

Take Michael Jackson. His dad basically killed his self-confidence as a kid and then he spent the rest of his life trying to change his appearance. If you're 100% sure that only the hairline needs fixing, I say go for it.

If you're not confident about your overall appearance, I think maybe you should speak with a psychiatrist or try to get in good shape. Lots of girls love guys in good shape, even if they're "ugly".

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Would it be okay? Well, it's not intrinsically wrong.

That might be a different question from, is it the right decision for you? And there are a lot of variables in considering that. It might be worth considering some counselling to unpack all the issues before making a final decision.

As for hair and attractiveness, let me remind you that there are lots of guys out there with very little hair or shaved heads who are considered very attractive. Maybe that might be an option?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I thought it was for something noble, such as needing to continue proclaiming the gospel.

The thing is, eventually, someone finds out .. and they tell everybody.

So changing your appearance for a reason such as, "people tell me I'm ugly," may backfire.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’ve always been very uncomfortable with my appearance. I don’t look like a normal person and I’ve been bullied before for some aspects of my appearance - even my own Dad called me ugly to my face. This has been very hurtful as I know he meant it and I already believed it about myself. I would not want to do anything that involves restructuring my face, but my hairline has naturally been very high and M-shaped which gives me super low self-confidence as my hair never looks nice and it looks like it belongs to someone 20 years older. If I were to get a hair transplant I know it would completely transform my confidence. This would cost around £5000.

I am very torn about this decision. I don’t like the idea of surgically augmenting appearance, however, as this only involves moving hair from the back of the head to the front of your head, it doesn’t seem very major in my opinion. Also, I do not think I am doing this out of vanity but because of such low self-confidence because of how abnormal my hair looks. I was clothes shopping two weeks ago and saw myself in the mirror in the changing rooms. It made me feel so sad looking at myself that I just went home and was very down. With one simple procedure, I would be able to have a nice hairstyle for the first time in my life and not see myself as ugly every time I see myself in the mirror.

I know I am ugly and so must every other young woman out there. Not one young woman has ever complimented my appearance (apart from clothing).
I was feeling rather ugly myself the other day so I decided to get a more radical haircut and I love it! Adding hair or taking away hair , I see no difference.
So I say go for it!
Be blessed.

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think God would be disappointed with me for doing something like that? It was only to help me feel better in my own skin and not feel so self conscious all the time. I do understand though that this life is only temporary and so could I put up with my ugliness for this life? I guess so. In this case I would certainly be alone my whole life (partly by choice) because of my past problems and also because of my low esteem physically.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think God would be disappointed with me for doing something like that? It was only to help me feel better in my own skin and not feel so self conscious all the time. I do understand though that this life is only temporary and so could I put up with my ugliness for this life? I guess so. In this case I would certainly be alone my whole life (partly by choice) because of my past problems and also because of my low esteem physically.
Don't continue to believe those lies about yourself,
You were created in the LORDS Image,
Why believe the lies the world has told?
He hand crafted you in the womb,
you are fearfully and wonderfully made
hqdefault.jpg

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you can afford it and you think it will make you feel better about your appearance then I would do it. I don’t see anything wrong with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mod Hat On

Thread is now Re-Opened

Some Posts and Responses
have been Removed
in
Thread Clean

RV
: Statement of Purpose - Requests for Christian Advice Statement of Purpose

Requests for Christian Advice is a non-debate area for members to ask and receive Biblically-based, Christian advice for a struggle they are encountering. Requests for Christian Advice is a Christians only forum. Non-Christians may ask for advice for a struggle they are encountering in the Struggles by Non-Christians forum.

Christian advice is defined as advice which contains basic Christian principles that do not conflict with the site's Statement of Faith. We would ask that members direct their responses to the member who started the thread and refrain from debating one another's theological beliefs and viewpoints. Do not use this forum to debate with other Christians as that is not the purpose of the Requests for Christian Advice forum. If members would like to discuss/debate specific Christian theological doctrines, they should do so in one of the Theology forums.

Mod Hat Off

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

This Thread
is Now
Permanently Closed

RV: TRSC: Medical Advice
  • Please do not give professional, legal, financial, medical, or other counseling. Do not direct, imply, or suggest that others should disregard doctors' orders regarding medical diagnosis and/or treatment.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.